1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Core2 benchies: 3DMark

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by The_OGS, Aug 20, 2006.

1. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

G'day lads & ladies, here are some first benchmarks with my new rig:
    3DMark 06 - 5649
    3DMark 05 - 10985
    3DMark 03 - 18388 (amazing eh - my previous record for '03 was 6691, LoL :^)
    Just braggin'...
    Regards

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's good, and also interesting, I get about 17500 with the same card.

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Howzit going Sam :^)
    I'm not used to these big numbers... LoL!
    I see you also are getting an excellent score.
    There is a guy on 'another' forum (Tommy's) who is all upset, he is ripped-off he feels, because he is getting 'only' ~9000 in 3DMark '05 with our vidcard.
    His rig is Socket754 w/ 3200+ and 1GB (single-channel).
    I thought 9000 3D Marks was pretty good! (Especially for 3DMark '05).
    Certainly exactly what one would expect from his rig...
    But they are all telling him 'yank the card and try it in another rig, to determine why the poor performance' LoL.
    Hey buddy, that's all you get... and not too shabby either,
    L8R

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're obviously thinking it's 2003 not 2005, 9000 marks is good.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yeah well, I figure ~9000 is pretty good - even in 3DMark '03! LoL
    But then, I was happy as a clam playing Doom3 @ 640x480... heheh.
    I do notice I'm now getting all these new lighting effects (bloom) I never used to get, which is from my new Shader v/3 I believe.
    I have just bought Quake4, got the patch, got the dual CPU, got the X1900XT... so I'm all ready to go. I'll let you know if my rig is wimpy (E6600? LoL - I already want one!)
    1024x768 is 'full' resolution for me, so if graphics power is still available (going wanting) I will start applying the heavy eye-candy, ie. 4x AA / 8x Aniso etc.
    Regards

6. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

@the_oggs- i've heard many problems about the p965 chipset and ocz xtc ram. i was just wondering, did you have to use another stick of ram to up the voltage to 2.1v or was the ram ok out of the box? i read about teh problem here: http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index...._id=18495&msgcount=8&overclockid=0#msg1146455

i want a conroe system and the gigabyte ga p965 ds3 motherboard, but there has been many reported incompatibilities.

i was also wondering if you've overclocked your rig at all?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  7. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

Sorry. Double Post

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An X1900XT and you're limited to 1024x768? Turn all the details RIGHT up mate! I run Doom 3 at 1600x1200 Ultra...

9. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

his monitor might limit him to 1024x768

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I assumed that was the reason, but if you can only do 1024x768, then an X1900XT has enough power to turn the detail to max with full Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering and HDR.

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi sukhvail,
    I have heard of these compatibility issues, sometimes with OCZ and/or certain chipsets, but everything smooth as butter for me...
    I have written extensively about this matter (at Tommy's) and many ask the same questions.
    A lot of DDR2 requires ~2.0v, as you seem to know, or even higher. Many mobos cannot deliver more than 1.8/1.9v. My OCZ runs at 2.1v (and for top performance OCZ recommends 2.2v :^)
    This new Allendale rig first started up with both sticks in place, 1:1 synchronous speed (533DDR), 1.8v and CAS4. Very sweet.
    The problem with AM2 guys is that their mobos will try to default to 800DDR to startup (which is 1:2 ratio) and with 2 sticks, dual-channel, 1.8v it is not always successful.
    Keep in mind that most DDR2 has standard JEDEC timing info in SPD ie. 5-5-5-15, this is mostly to ensure compatibility (and also first boot success).
    I have not used any Gigabyte for years, but have heard problems...
    I am a huge ABit fan and of course use Asus too. For inexpensive builds I use ECS. I have also used lots of OCZ and never had the slightest problem.
    I just went to BleedinEdge and read some of that - the one guy has AB9 Pro, OCZ Gold, and problems. Very surprising.
    That GA-965P-DS3 motherboard...
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2314
    ...seems good, I bet you like the Solid State power - it seems attractive to me too.
    Right now I am running:
    DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200 speed) 1:1 synchronous, 1.8v, CAS3.
    I have no urge to run asynchronous 2:3 which is PC2-6400 @ 800MHz.
    The 533DDR precisely matches the CPU bandwidth while 800DDR far exceeds it, at a cost of latencies increased to CAS4 (or CAS5).
    PC2-6400 tests will show increased memory bandwidth (of course! no argument) but no overall CPU or system performance increases.
    I love having 'underclocked' memory @ killa tight CAS3 timings, it's a new thing for me (I sold my old rig with the Corsair DDR400 2-2-2-5)
    But whether this has allowed me to side-step some of other peoples problems, I dunno.
    I have a Viewsonic GS790 - this is a special 'short-depth' 19" CRT monitor they no longer make.
    I just leave it at 1024x768 LoL - I don't like my desktop @ higher rez (and the internet is not good at the higher rez).
    I know, leave the desktop alone and just fire up the game rez... well I might just check that out :^)
    RE: Far Cry
    I have installed the special X64 'patch' for x86 - this is the high-end texture & graphics package supposedly for Athlon64 guys, naturally I wanted to check this out. It's fantastic! Really something...
    But with maximum eye-candy, no AA, 2x Aniso and ultra water etc. 1024x768 is about the max (I kid you not, check it out yourselves).
    Can't remember where I got it (~397MB!) but I think I started here:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/Farcry_1.html
    I would like your opinions/experiences if you grab this upgrade - do you guys 'do' Far Cry? It's in clearance bins everywhere for $19.99, such a deal... it makes the ultimate PC demo with the x64 update,
    Regards

12. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Geesee.... I just did pcmark03 and i got 13,000+... so i am happy with that.. considering my 6200 was 2,000 this is like heaven to me.. but then again.. what would that X1900XT be like... FEAR 5? :)

my cpu was at 2.6 and i upped the frequencies on my X850XT by about 25 each or so... :)

and the cpu was at like 1.45 volts or somthing just to stay on the safe side..

but i want to build a compy just like that cause the 6400 has the 4mg.. and that kicks ass.. :) but i wil probably keep everything else in here other thatn the odvious..

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3DMark, not PCMark surely?

14. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

ha ha ha... yeah its 3DMark03... but thats not bad eh?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, my old unit managed 9000 so that's running well.

16. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

What did you do this time sammorris... THE MODS ARE BEING GAY.. except for the cool mods... MODS.. we need to get rid of em.. and just use a voting system. "This person said this" shoud we boot them ... and for how long.. somthing like that... and i overclocked the video card and i got 13,050.. and what video card were u running befor hand??

see ya later...