1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect computer to DVD recorder/player

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by chuckbear, Aug 20, 2006.

1. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

First let me say I hope this is posted in the right forum since this is my first visit. If not perhaps someone can direct me to the proper place and accept my apology. My question is, can I connect my laptop to my DVD recorder/player and if so what do I need in the way of software and cables? I have a Toshiba Satellite M35X running windows XP and my DVD set up is a Samsung DVD/VHS recorder/player model DVD-VR329. I am currently transferring VHS tapes to DVD and would like to transfer some things on my computer to DVD. The laptop has a Matshita UJDA760 DVD/CD drive and it will play DVDs but won't copy them. Thanks in advance for any help. I have tryed a search and not had any results.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

If you're trying to get data files to dvd, I'd check into getting a dvd burner in the PC.

If you want to get audio to dvd, you can get a cable at Radio Shack, that has a 1/8" [bold]stereo[/bold] mini plugon one end, and red and white rca plugs on the other. Plug the mini plug into the headphone jack, and the red and white rca plugs, into the audio inputs, on back of dvd recorder, and record. That should work. The "Y" cable(mini plug to rca plugs) is about 4" long. Then you have to get an extension cable, for mini plug to plug into, to reach computer. Both cables cost me about $12, about two years ago.

Of course, if you have a sound card in computer, with the red and white audio outputs, you can use regular red and white audio cables to the inputs on back of dvd recorder.

I've never done this, but it should work. I [bold]have[/bold] done just the opposite. I recorded what was playing, from my receiver, to my computer, with this same cable setup. That's how I put my albums on cds.
    Good luck!

3. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

Thanks JVC. Since this is a laptop it does not have the red and white RCA connections but the adapter from the headphone plug should work. But I would also like to be able to transfer some video on the computer to the DVD recorder and that is what has me puzzled. I would like to do this without buying another piece of hardware if possible. Chuck

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Do you have an s-video output or the yellow composite output? If not, I don't know how you'll get video to it. Sorry.
    Maybe someone else will pop in with a different suggestion.......
    Good luck!

I still say check into getting a dvd burner in your laptop.......... :eek:)

5. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

No S video outlet but it does have a outlet to attach a separate monitor. Don't know if that would be useful. But you may be right. May have to give in and buy a burner. Thanks.