1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use profanities

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by 21Q, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I was jst wondering if the people here at ad curse. I have only cursed three times in my life by acciddent. Call it what ever you want I'm not kidding. So how many times have you curse or do you use it often. OR do you follow the same standings I do???

Just curious

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

All the f*cking time...

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I try my hardest not to. I'm usually around my grandkids and their friends, so I try to set an example.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

not wanting to be a spoilsport, somehow i don't think this thread will last too long....Most people swear, i myself swear a helluva lot, but not in front of children etc, ie i am careful how i speak/act. Now that was a short thread...

5. 21Q

21Q Regular member

lol guess your right, wonder if could go back in time and stop the people who made cursing

Did You Know- SHIP HIGH IN TRANSIT meant the shipping of fetilizer or something like that. so S.H.I. and you get the rest

6. ireland

ireland Active member

21Q
    WHICH ONE ARE YE TALKING ABOUT

curse

A curse is the effective action of supernatural power, distinguished solely by the quality of adversity that it brings, else it would be considered a "charm" or a "blessing." A curse may also be said to result from a spell or prayer, imprecation or execration, or other imposition by magic or witchcraft, asking that a god, natural force, or spirit bring misfortune to someone.

The forms of curses found in various cultures comprise a significant proportion of the study of both folk religion and folklore.

swears

. To make a solemn declaration, invoking a deity or a sacred person or thing, in confirmation of and witness to the honesty or truth of such a declaration. 2. To make a solemn promise; vow. 3. To use profane oaths; curse. 4. Law To give evidence or testimony under oath.

Swear Words

The unacceptable and rude words of a language are known as the swear words , or bad language. They include the strongest and most offensive words; stronger than slang and colloquial language.

In a broader sense, 'curse' is a loose synonym for blasphemy or profanity (i.e. a "curse word.")

"The curse" is also a term for the original sin of Adam and Eve in the Christian religion, and a slang term for menstruation.

profanity

A profanity (or "swear word", or "curse word", or "foul language") is a word, expression, or other usage which is generally considered insulting, rude or vulgar. The extent to which a profanity is considered to be in some way disagreeable or objectionable depends on context, timing and various other factors. However, the use of certain profanities at certain times, especially in a public setting or during a solemn occasion, will always be considered inappropriate or in bad taste, if not clearly abusive, obscene or offensive. At other times the use of certain profanities will be considered mild or acceptable, and may take less recognizable forms, such as a minced oath.

The original meaning of the term was restricted to blasphemy, sacrilege or speaking God's name in vain. However, the term has been extended to include expressions with scatological, sexist, derogatory, racist, or sexual themes. Compare the concept of the four-letter word.

The use and meaning of profanity is also culturally-specific. For example, many profanities in Quebec French are a corruption of religious terminology, while many English ones tend to reference sexuality. A term which functions as a profanity in one language may often lack any profane quality when translated into another language.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hmmm...this one is rather interesting and, at least as it relates to me and my job, more relevant than some would think.

I come from a bi-lingual family and have never heard my dad curse; not once. Only once did I hear my mom curse; we were all seated in the living room, my mom was knitting then all of a sudden came mom's little old lady voice saying "...oh sh**!" Everybody was stunned and looked at her ... then looked at me ... I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps with a serious trash mouth which I now control far better than I once did.

The important thing I've read here is that people know when cursing is or is not appropriate. Believe it or not, there are people ... MANY people...who see "curse" words merely as words of "emphasis" but the notion of "inappropriate" or "swearing" was never brought up in the way that they were raised. I cannot tell you how often I've sat in on job interviews where applicants say "m..f..er" this and that, cuss constantly through the interview then honestly wonder why they didn't get the job. In many circles, it is no longer "swearing" and they think nothing of using such language and they are literally astonished when I tell them that such language is unacceptable and they'll never get hired. Imagine being a full grown adult and never having been told that certain words are just inappropriate!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2006
  8. 21Q

21Q Regular member

@ Ireland

Uhhhhh, I mean prophanity, that's a long explanation, did you meditate on those thoughts or did just copy and paste them???

@ gerry1

never thought of it that way, where I live the gangsters and semi-upright people live 3 blocks away (central - hights) I was raised to KNOW there were bad words so it came acrross to me as I was growing up why people were cursing, Heck ( i don't say hell either) I didn't know what a curse was till 5th grade.

9. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Not to be nit-picky, but you are still using the wrong word. It's "profanity", not "prophanity". Looks like you are combing 2 words.

10. ireland

ireland Active member

tsquare43
    i know thats why i gave 21Q a choice..i did not want to say he mis-spelled the word as its correct.the meaning was wrong..below is what i was thinking. of for Prophanity....

Prophanity=Swedish black metal band Prophanity

The Swedish black metal band Prophanity was formed in 1991 by singer Mathias "Farbaute" Järrebring and guitarist Christer "Grendel" Olsson; after a series of name and line-up changes the group began to solidify in 1993 with the addition of drummer Anders "Wouthan" Malmström, and early the following year they recorded their first demo. A subsequent demo titled Messenger of the Northern Warrior Host soon followed, earning significant underground attention; a track was also featured on the "Sometimes Death is Better 2, 3 & 4 compilation...

profanity is the correct word..

cheers and a free donut..

11. 21Q

21Q Regular member

ooooooohhhhhhhhh
    who corrected the name for me???

12. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

edited thread title

I swear on occasion , sometimes it is because of accidently hurting oneself but also when w/ best mates (that I have known since childhood) it can be for emphasis sake.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If you get stopped by customs (returning home from your holidays), nothing can beat "oh for f*cks sake", somehow "goodness gracious me, those nice people wish to peruse my luggage" doesn't quite hit the spot.

Or if you hit your thumb with a 2lb ball pein hammer.

Or if some dumbass pulls out in front of me, whilst I am driving a 7.5ton truck.

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

15. creaky

awesome list there :p

16. ireland

ireland Active member

dam it,(%%mother$^&*^a@@%$%^) whos turn to buy the beer?????????

[​IMG]

17. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@pulsar ... golly gee, are you afraid of being pursued after being perused?

18. creaky

what about being pursued after being paroled and then perused, persecuted and then ending up perturbed

19. ireland

ireland Active member

hay creaky

[​IMG]

20. creaky

lol i just thought of a few profanities :p