1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCLinux or Mandriva?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by smg, Sep 2, 2006.

1. smg

smg Regular member

Im a complete noobie so plz beat with me. I want to find a Linux program that I can use for uploading and downloading my MP3s onto...and....
    I want to be able to use my program RecordNowMax for burning DVDs with or
    Do either of these 2 come with a good DVD programs?
    Thank you
    :)

2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I take it you mean PCLinuxOS?

To what do you want to upload and download mp3s to? Your hard drive? Another device?

Both have excellent DVD burning programs available. One of the best (IMHO) is k3b.

PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva, so basically, your looking at the same thing.

3. smg

smg Regular member

I wanted to upload all my MP3s onto my hardrive, and then to download them as I needed them into my portable MP3 player for listening.
    Thank you so much Dolphin for the reply, I was so confused about which one to get.....:)

4. smg

smg Regular member

Yes PCLinuxOS is what I meant. Umm....since I am only going to be using it for personal things like Dvds and music, internet, chat etc. and since I am completely stupid about Linux anyway....will the BigDaddy version be ok or should I use the Junior or Minime version? And which version would you suggest for the most stable one?
    Also my new pc is an AMD 64 bit which is what I wanted to use it on. I have heard that 64 bit from windows and the PCLinuxOS is very buggy. Is that true?
    Thanks again very much..:)

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If you're gonna use a 64 bit system, i'd say get Mandriva 64 bit edition.
    Also, you should reconsider at least twice before [bold]installing[/bold] linux,
    as it is a hell of a lot more complicated than windows.

Seeing as you know nothing about it, why not have a look in the linux distributions thread we have here, and try out linux first by using a live cd or dvd ? If you then decide you don't like it then, or that it's too complicated, you won't have to reinstall everything on your computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed, i've been using Mandrake, now known as Mandriva, for 5years, and i still do all my MP3/DVD work in *cough* Windows *cough*. Mandriva is excellent for beginners but you'll have your hands full with Linux itself, never mind MP3 and DVD on top.. By all means try out Linux though, it's well worth doing

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

A few points to consider:
    1> If this is a new PC, installing Linux will void your warranty.
    2> Like The_Fiend said, a Live version to test out would be best for you at this point.
    3> PCLinuxOS, at this point, doesn't have a 64bit system. (It's in the works).
    4> I would recomment the "Big Daddy" version of PCLinuxOS. The other two have their uses, but not for beginners.
    5> If you chose Mandriva, get the DVD version.
    6> If you decide to install Linux, chose to dual boot with Windows. That way if there is something you can't figure out how to do with Linux, you can boot into Windows.
    7> In a way, I disagree with creaky (sorry my friend). The best way to learn is to jump right in and try things. You may screw up a few times but you'll get the hang of it.

All this is just my humble opinion.

8. creaky

quite right, it is a great idea to jump in, and that's exactly how i started with Solaris, Linux, and anything else that comes my way.. :)

9. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

I've been running Linux for quite a while and No longer run Windows except for work. Anyways, Linux is really not too difficult to learn. What you need is a guide. Try the one on my site. I teach how to install Linux from the How-To's on the site. There is a complete section on DVD encoding and CD ripping.

PDR60

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  10. creaky

@PDR60 - as you know it's against our rules to push other forums.. pls amend your signature and refrain from doing this in future

11. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

Whatever??

12. creaky

call me dumb but that's not removing the link. i don't make the rules i just enforce them

13. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

Its still not a link

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for arguing.