1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI and Explorer.exe problems

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by ValiantX, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ValiantX

ValiantX Member

Recently i've been testing and uninstalling several different AVI converters. Suddenly, my system has begun acting extremely strange. Any time I try to open or even right click on an AVI or MPEG file, I get an error that forces explorer.exe to crash and shut down. In fact, if I even open a folder that contains an AVI or MPEG, I'll get an error with explorer.exe or something called Dr Watsons Post Mortem Debugger, and the system crashes.

As you can imagine, this is extremely frustrating because I can't even drop and drag, rename, move or view properties on these these files without explorer.exe crashing. Strangely, I can still open any media format through my Divx player software and the issue will not occur. So, if I want to rename an AVI, I need to open Divx, click on open file, and rename the AVI through that or some other program.

I've attempted reinstalling Windows Media Player 11 and this has not corrected the problem. I've also tried every form of virus detector under the sun.

Is there any way to just reinstall explorer.exe to a system?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

regsvr32.exe /u shmedia.dll should solve it. If it doesn't then revsvr32.exe shmedia.dll to restore.

3. viaon

viaon Member

4. Xzorba

Xzorba Member

Hi, I have the same problem but only for mpeg files. If I right click on a mpeg file explorer.exe crashes. Regsvr.exe /v. shmedia.dll solves the problem for explorer. However, playing mpeg files with wmp or powerdvd etc, is no longer possible, each attempt results in a GraphEdt.exe crash.
    Does anyone have a solution for that ?

5. tringo

tringo Guest

Finally! This problem has ben bugging me for a half year! At first I didn't realised the explorer.exe shutdown only happened when I tried to move, rename or play movie files. Just searching for help regarding explorer and shutting down, you get lots of answers of how to do if windows isn't shutting down properly.
    This si Great!!