1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duo Q users? Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by elyk1212, Sep 6, 2006.

1. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Hi, Everytime I try any backup on my installed Duo Q, I get the following error:

"An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions."

Please keep in mind I installed a NinjaMod and had to lift a pin on the bios rom. I have since removed this chip (and it was assumed defective). Also, all original games play fine.

Any ideas? BTW I have used RitekG05, ProdiscF01, TY03 and many brands recommended by GC forums.

Nothing will even come close to booting.

However, the disc laser does move about, quickly, as though it is going to load, on media it likes. It will not do this when I pop a non GC-backup/orig disc on (using the same DVD disc media brands). Something tells me the chip is *almost* doing what it is supposed to.

Thanks, Kyle

2. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Have you ever been able to play back-ups on it? If not, you probably have to adjust the pot before it'll be able to load back-ups.

3. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Hi, thanks for the reply :). Yes, I have adjusted the pot from 90ohs all the way to 250ohms. I have done so in increments of about 20 ohms.

Did you get this error when you had an incorrect impedence (pot val) on your GC?

I am curious if it is a normal error code/message for this type of thing (read error), or if it is the chip that is sending incorrect data to the DVD drive.

I may have to hook this one up to a scope or something, but it likely would not matter since I do not know the bit values it needs to output and at what baud rate. Any ideas friend? I will continue to try to fiddle with the pot setting.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  4. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  5. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I don't have any hands on experience with a Duo Q, so I can't confirm that.

I've modded two brand new GameCubes (platinum and black) with a qoob Pro and a XenoGC, and they both work wonderfully even though I never adjusted the pot on either of them.

On a side note, you generally use a lower resistance value on the pot then your initial one if it doesn't work without adjustments.

6. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Could you please let me know those GC model numbers on the bottom, if possible? I am curious if the platinum one was a DOL-101... also, if you used the XenoGC on the DOL-101... since this has the same general code as the DuoQ. Also, my DOL-101 is a platinum edition.

Thanks for the pot info.

7. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Both are DOL-101.

8. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Thanks! I will have to keep an eye out for a cheap XenoGC (or replace my Duo, maybe). I don't suppose you may know if there is a on screen check to confirm the chip/install is functional? I know on Xeno you can hold start, but on DuoQ, I do not know if there is anything besides the 2 leds that flash (which appear ok).

9. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

To all those interested, I also found this thread.

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=9874#poststop

It looks as though the problem could just be the board included in the DOL-101 models. It may have some kind of 'bigger disc check', that impedes the progress of mods with duoQ. It looks like mini media was working just fine, for them (I have not tried minis yet).

However, changing the laser and DuoQ assembly to a new motherboard, fixed the issue for them! I will see if I have the same luck and confirm my findings here.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  10. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Ok, I switched out the DOL-101 board with the DOL-001 and it now works great! Let all DuoQ users/modders be warned, it does not work with DOL-101!! At least not my DOL-101, and apparently many others.

Thanks for all that have responded! Kyle

11. spystyle

spystyle Member

Howdy,

I have (2) Gamecubes, one belongs to my buddy. Mine has a "Qoob sx" chip in it and it works fine, I had to adjust the laser and sue Ritek media and all is perfect.

My buddy brought his gamecube to me with a Duo-Q chip, his cube is a DOL-101 and I don't know what mine is because I replaced the case and have no sticker.

I installed the DUO-Q into his DOL-101 and I get the red message ending in "check the instruction manual" when I boot

I was thinking this:

The duo-q can't be used in the dol-101 (correct?)

If my gamecube is a 001 I could swap the chips around, my 001 gets the duo-q and his 101 gets my qoob sx

But how can I tell what version gamecube I have if I don't have the sticker on the botom of the case?

Thank you,
    Craig

12. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Go by your board revision. If you the serial port and digital out, then you have a DOL-001. If you don't have the serial port or the digital out, you have a DOL-101. Basically, revision A is in DOL-001 and revision B and C are in DOL-101.

13. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Hi again, Actually, I have found that some DOL-101 units (PAL in particular) have both the Digital and analog outputs and have been reported as working with the DuoQ. Please see my other forum:

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=22704

We have also made some observations, that could use clarification, as to hardware design for these chips. Please take a look if you are interested in clarifying this DuoQ modding issue with DOL-101. There are still unanswered questions.

14. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Ah, I see. That means only the revision C motherboards don't work with the DuoQ. Silver2 most likely has a revision B motherboard, which would explain why he has a DOL-101 with a digital output.

I have no idea why that's the case, either. Oh, and just to clarify, my XenoGC works just fine with the rev. C motherboard.

15. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

I have heard this too, however, have you personally verified this? I am wondering since they appear to be the same functionality (same outputs to the same place, at *maybe* the same time, depending on the oscillator configuration).

Thanks in advance! Kyle

16. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

By the way, when you say 'swap chips', I assume you mean swapping the whole DVD assembly/ swapping main boards (same thing, different perspective). If you mean otherwise, don't bother un-installing the mod chip. It is way more work that it is worth. Just change main boards.

I just wanted to clarify, in case you were thinking of taking out just the mod chip.

17. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

My brother's GameCube has a revision C board. DOL-101 without the serial port and digital out.

I had meant to post "works just fine with my revision C."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  18. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Oh, OK. Good, good. This definitely gives us all some more info. Thanks so much!.

So verified assumptions (based on board):

DOL-101 w/digital: DuoQ (WORKING); XenoGC (WORKING);
    DOL-101 revC NO DIGITAL: DuoQ(NOT WORKING, confirmed by me); XenoGC (WORKING, confirmed by others).

19. spystyle

spystyle Member

OK here's what I figured out:

There are 3 version of the cube (NTSC anyway)

A,B, and C

A and B have 3 ports in the back : power, video and digital

C has only 2 ports in the back : power and video

Duo-Q did not work with C, Qoob SX did work with C

I installed the Duo Q on my A or B (I'm not sure which it is) and it worked fine.

I also conformed that the laser assemblies can be swapped between versions, I swapped the laser from C to an A or B

Thank you,
    Craig

20. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Well, the qoob Pro and SX work on all the GC revisions, no surprise there.

Also, a little something I thought about related to the DuoQ. Since it's a ripoff of the XenoGC, they may have unintentionally removed or incorrectly modified the code for revision C compatibility whenever they removed any coding that identified it as the XenoGC BIOS.