1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning backup dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jgoh412, Jun 23, 2003.

1. jgoh412

jgoh412 Member

I have a panasonic DMR-e50 that is a stand alone burner, and everytime i try making a backup to my dvd movies it says that the disc cannot be copied. Now i don't know if the dvd can't be copied because of the copyright or am i just doing something wrong. I also have a RF modulator because the person at radioshack said that is what i need. if someone could help i'd apprecaite it

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

There is a copy protection built into the DVD recorder; just like if you were to try to make a VHS copy of a DVD. Go to Radio Shack and buy yourself a little box called a "video image stabalizer." It will filter out most forms of copy protection. We've run into a few movies lately that have new copy protection which the box can't cope with.

3. jgoh412

jgoh412 Member

are you sure it is called a video image stabilizer because i went to radioshack and they said they've never had anything like that and checked there computer?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Don't worry about teh 'video image stabilizer', our Ken likes the complicated methods, lol. All you need to do is to download DVD Shrink for free (click on it) and use this guide to create back-up movies.

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm

By the way, you can never make a straight copy of a DVD due to CSS encryption. I have included at the start of this guide information on various differeing things to do with backing up movies. I suggest you read through them.

Chris_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  5. jgoh412

jgoh412 Member

Oriphus, i have a stand alone unit so that program can't help me. Do you know any other methods? I didn't think it was gonna be so hard to do this.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sorry, didnt read that bit. AM i right in understanding that you are trying to make a back-up of a DVD in your DVD player and record it to the connected DVD recorder, the panasonic? If so, there is macrovision in place to disable that feature so that you cannot do it. To get around th macrovision you will need to either get a chip for the board of the Panasonic, or, if the Panasonic can handle this (samsungs can) download a code from the internet to disable it.

Search for your DVD player at:
    http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk/

You can disable it. Here is the same model as yours with the macrovision disabled:
    http://www.dvdmagic.net/pe50.html

Here is information on the digital video stabilizer that ken recommends:
    http://www.cable-decoder.com/starbreakerwebsite.html

Possible ways to disable yoyur macrovision:

The list:
    Pause+Open, Pause+FF, Pause+FR --> simultaneously press & hold these buttons on the front panel
    (next key before the "=" is on the remote)

Pause+Open+
    Return = A 4B4 FFFF
    9 = LCD Test
    8 = ?
    7 = VO10 62B430
    6 = 1 NN 123
    5 = J 000 000 00 then J 999 000 00
    {4-1} = Test Mode n
    0 = 01 F--- then back to NO DISC
    Display = LDD 036 035 then back to NO DISC
    RightArrow = LCD Test
    DownArrow = FK --- --- and laser head keeps moving (STOP to go back to NO DISC)
    UpArrow = 1 NN 123
    LeftArrow = 01 F---
    Pause = LD0 --- --- then NO DISC then LD0 036 030 then NO DISC
    TopMenu = J 999 000 00
    Menu = VO10 62B430
    subtitle = test mode 2
    audio = test mode 3
    angle = test mode 4
    a-b repeat = display feedback of buttons from front panel (power cycle to reset)
    cancel = A 4B4 0000

Pause+FF+
    8 = Read/Write memory mode
    "1" for Read, "2" for Write
    enter memory address, then Enter
    contents displayed for Read, asked to enter value if Write (enter to Write)
    after this, can again enter "1" for Read, "2" for Write
    9 to exit Read/Write memory mode

4 = display several values
    FEP 000300
    SRV 00009A
    ODC 000065
    AV_ 000096
    SYS 610066
    then returns back to NO DISC
    5 = T1 0000 0000
    6 = T2 0000
    7 = 23 F5 (need power cycle to exit)
    Menu = ** 10 0000 (can change the 1 using digits, the first zero with Up/Down)
    Display = LDC 030 031

Pause+FR+
    2 = ERR 00 / 30
    Display = 1 62B430

Hope iv been a help,
    Chris

7. jgoh412

jgoh412 Member

Is there any other way besides what you said, with the hacking or anything to get this dvd recorder to work? I checked out the video image stabilizer, its not a cheap alternative. Are you sure that you can't just use an RF modulator to accomplish the same task?

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can use the RF modulator but you will get haze on the screen. It is basically interupting the signal to the DVD player (an rf signal)

I dont know of another way,

Chris

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

How much do they want for the stabilizer? The one I picked up cost me $40 CDN. ($30 US)

You might want to try other places besides Radio Shack. What part of the world are you in? I also just did a quick search on eBay. They seem to be going for about $25-$30 US there.

Now I am not 100% sure an RF modulator won't work. I would be willing to bet money that it won't. Besides, you step down in quality when you convert composite video to a radio frequency. If you are making a DVD isn't a one time investment of $30 worth it?

10. DYG713

DYG713 Member

I live on long island in new york. I found one place in new york city that carries one for about $40 dollars, but won't be traveling there for another few days. I looked on ebay, which model is the right one to get, most of them say they only work with vcrs, or does it not matter? let me know. by the way this is jgoh's brother

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  11. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

12. DYG713

DYG713 Member

thanks

13. haroldine

haroldine Guest

I have a similar problem to you. I want to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD format. I know there won't be an increase in quality, but the degridation isn't as great on DVD. I can't seem to get round the macro vision on my Sharp VHS recorder/player. I have a TV card on my computer, and a Philips DVD R+/RW. I could conect the video player to that instead of my Stand alone dvd player/recorder. My question is would it work, can I then get round the macrovision protected tapes. This would be a major operation for me as I'm dissabled, and the tape player is downstairs, you see my problem?. I don't have a radio shack near to where I live, the nearest one is about 20 miles away in Liverpool.
    I have been Having great succes with "backing up" my Dvd movies, using DVDXCOPY from 321 studios. Anyone thinking of doing the same I can recomend it. However you must have a fast Processor and Make sure you run on seperate IDE drives DMA activated. Find a media that works and keep to it some of the -r/rw media are a bit dodgy.

14. DYG713

DYG713 Member

hey ken, just wanted to let you know i got the image stabilizer from ebay that you told me you had, and it does not work, i tried many different dvds, doesn't work, could it be because i am trying to burn it to a dvd ram? or just because what you said doesn't work? let me know

15. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Wow, that was fast. Now just to make sure you have this hooked up correctly:

- You have 3 RCA outputs from your first DVD player. (Red, White, Yellow)
    - The red and white connections go directly from the one DVD into the DVD recorder.
    - the yellow connection goes into the stabalizer, then out and into the yellow input for the DVD recorder.
    - There is a fresh battery in the stabalizer.

Now I've only tried this with DVD-R media; not DVD-RAM. I don't see how that could matter, but might also be worth a try. I sure hope the DMR-e50 doesn't have some newer more advanced macrovision protection. The model I rented to try it out on was the DMR-e30, and my DMR-e50 is on its way already.

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Just a quick question Ken! You said RF was a radio frequency, isnt rf the aerial connection that comes from a roof aerial into the back of your TV? Cheers

Chris

17. DYG713

DYG713 Member

Ken here is the deal, i had all the connections right, i tried all of my dvds and i will tell you which ones worked and which ones didn't. The only ones that worked were batman and blade 2. Gladiator, star wars episode 1 and 2, the matrix, spiderman, and fast and the furious all did not work, you tell me what the problem is, you know better than i do. I am starting to think this dvd recorder was a waste of my money.

18. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, I'm going to answer one question at a time.

Chris, you are correct. RF or radio frequency is the way that standard over the air broadcasts are transmitted. What an RF modulator does is coverts the video and audio streams into a radio frequency (usually channel 3 or 4) so that people with older TV's that don't have those inputs can use a DVD player.

Now DYG713, I'm not sure what to tell you. As I said I had rented an earlier model of the Panasonic burner, and I have the same one as you have on order. I can try the Matrix next week once it comes in. (That's the only one of the movies listed that I own.) To be honest we only tried a couple of DVD's when we rented the older model, just because I usually make backups of my DVD's on the computer. I'm going to be using the stand alone burner to make backups from VHS.

Now if you aren't happy you might want to consider taking it back. If you have a Pentium 4 computer you might want to consider getting the DVD burner for the computer. I can tell you for a fact the Star Wars I works because a friend owns it and he had me make a backup copy for him.

I any event, I'll let you know what happens once I get my recorder.

19. DYG713

DYG713 Member

thanks

20. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, I just picked up my recorder tonight. What is the exact error message you get when trying to back up The Matrix?