1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instant Switcher from Linux to Windows and VV.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by harry2006, Sep 8, 2006.

1. harry2006

harry2006 Guest

Hello friends.
    I would like to ask one WEIRD question.
    Is it possible to switch from linux to Windows or the other way round???What are the softwares for this purpose???
    Basically what I mean by all this is that;can we do the following:-
    Say we are in linux and suddenly thought of jumping to windows(for any reason say)say we have a kind of software which will remove the current OS (say linux)from the RAM and start loading Windows or straightaway loads the memory dump for that OS(as it happens when we hibernate Windows)and within a couple of seconds we are on and runnig in Windows .And similarly we have the counterpart kind of software which will put us back to Linux.I think this sounds silly.
    If anything like this is possibel plz let me know.
    Thanks for reading this weird question. :)
    Thanks for the advices/suggs in Advance!!!

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I don't think you can just switch to "Windows" that fast. The only ways I can think of is just DUalboot or use a Virtual Machine such as VMware(That would be your best option if you want to do something quick in windows.)

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

also, if you dual-boot, you can just access windows directories easily, ie look in /mnt/windows for example which is the mount point for base folder of my c:\ drive

4. harry2006

harry2006 Guest

Hi All.
    Thanx for your suggestions.
    No M not talking about dual boot,b'coz I dont want to reboot my sys, as that takes hell of time,I've he'd of VM ware, but I've never used that, I think that can be of some help.
    Can nyone give me Howto kind of links for VMware that I can find in this website itself.
    Thank you .

5. ih8ipod

ih8ipod Member

hey. u cud always try phat linux, its an exe programme from windows tht installs linux. the onli problem is that their mirrors r down so there is no direct download. do a google search for "phat linux" and read up on it. if u find a place to download a working copy of "phat linux" pm me the link. thanks.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The only way to run linux applications in windows is With a virtual machine (bye bye to 70% of your performance).. Then you have all the bugs of emulation, with none of the gains of linux. Set up for dual boot.. (or use another computer for linux)

Phat linux
    With serious reservations... Nothing has been done with this project since 2002!! What's the betting it doesn't work? I have never heard of it before today..but here's your download..

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/phat/?fl=p

Let's face it.. All the guides, forums and everything apart from that download don't exist any more.

It's too old anyway..
    Unless you want the trouble of installing win98 again to run something of similar vintage I'd forget it.

Just another point.. Friends....drop the txt speek.. It's annoying in the extreme.. Notice how the real linux users use proper language. It's so we can understand each other without having to translate all that (not) clever garbage. You know it makes sense.......

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006