1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV 17", Budget:£200

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by billybob, Sep 9, 2006.

1. billybob

billybob Regular member

Been looking for one for a few days now. Cant find any.
    I did find this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hisense-USA-R...pd_sxp_grid_i_0_2/103-8612033-4570200?ie=UTF8

And thats under £200, but they dont ship to the uk.

I also have never heard of that make, so im a bit...cautious of that.

If someone could give me a link to one that they think is reasonable, within the budget.

( i know the budgets small but i dont want something brilliant, just a respectable make, 17" and hd!)

Thanks guys.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

subscribed as i'm pondering a purchase too. Just found a few on Amazon.co.uk, but nothing under £200, that's my searching so far.

..though i have a feeling that you're not gonna get anything HD for anything near that budget..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  3. billybob

billybob Regular member

That one above..is that not HD?

It says HD ready, i assumed that meant it was....

At the bottom of this page there are 5 or 6 advertised.

So, is that one i mentioned not hd?

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

[bold]HDTV capable: Yes, with optional receiver[/bold]

You don't want to buy that billyboy, by "optional receiver" they're not talking about your JVC

Also, you don't want to get those speakers you showed me. You want to avoid wireless speakers billyboy ... there is still all sorts of problems with them and interference to the signals even with the very best of them.

Sorry I haven't looked much at speakers for you; its been a busy week but I'll look around today. Will answer your email soon.

5. billybob

billybob Regular member

Oh damn. I didnt read it properly...grr!

Looks like that planns out of the window then.

oohhh... wait.

Boxwrench showed me this

For $360. AND thats a 27" with a built in HD tuner.

Thats 8 pounds something UNDER my budget and its a 27".

So creaky im sure there are some perfectly within my budget that are 10" smaller. I hope.

6. creaky

a-ha but the currency conversion doesn't factor in that this is ripoff Britain :)

..don't think we'll find something that cheap that's a decent make, but that's why i subscribed, in case it's vaguely possible

7. billybob

billybob Regular member

LOL! Ripoff britain, you got that right.I actually couldnt care less if its a decent make anymore really.

Still, even if its possible to get it shipped over from an american site, then its still money being saved. Im sure if theres something that price, a 27", then i could get a 17" over here for that price.

LOL Dont worry creaky, somone will come to the rescue soon...

8. creaky

i guess i can survive for now, with my Samsung 32" HD LCD :p, i just want a smaller one to keep right next to my laptop so i can watch TV without turning my head

9. billybob

billybob Regular member

Oh yes, the "second tv" neccessety! (SP?)

Poor you, having to turn your head. Ha ha ha.

Seriously though, someone help.

10. creaky

3rd tv, if you count my 14" Sony, and 4th if i hook up my USB Freeview dongle to a PC. I'm doing some more googling in the meantime, and Thursday i was in PC World getting some ideas re smaller LCD TV's, nothing cheap enough that was HD ready.

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@billy....yes, what box showed you is more like it .... capable of far more, a better quality all the way around. The only drawback is the weight, it weighs 103 pounds because its a picture tube rather than LCD or Plasma like you were looking at but if you can manage it, you're better off with a good quality tube than a cheap quality LCD or Plasma. "High Tech" is all well and fine but not at the expense of quality. A lightweight TV is nice, still, it shouldn't be ther primary consideration.

I'll look around British sites for good speaker deals today and I'll send links. I also know a couple of good american sites that sell good stuff cheap; I'll see if they ship to the UK. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link billy...you've a nice little receiver there but if you connect trash speakers to it, it will sound like junk. I know its difficult but you need to put this together patiently...you need to get speakers that will match the quality of the JVC....if that means that you can only afford the two fronts and the center or the sub for the moment, then that's what it means. Have patience and go for the good sound that the JVC can produce. I'll look around for you today ... in fact, sound like a neat way to relax after two weeks of mayhem LOL! I'll also take a look at Craigslist and ebay for the U.K. to see what I can see ... one must be very careful of both though so don't go on those and do something rash LOL!

Edit: I just reread that you're not looking for something as big as box showed you...I'll keep an eye out for that as well.

High Def is all well and fine, billy, but do you have hi def broadcast in Coventry ... or a high def sat or cable in coventry?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2006
  12. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thanks gerry!

Looks like the whole hdtv things down the drain.

I have until april...but i woul dhave preferred one sooner.

Damn.

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Oh, not necessarily if you're talking 17in. I've been looking at speaker packages around your price range and saving the links; I'll post them all at the same time. There are two US companies that I've emailed about shipping to the UK but I'm not all that hopeful on that one. I'll post the links when I can. I'm going to start with speaker "packages" as you seem a bit impatient to have the whole 5.1 system at the same time. I targeted 70 to 100 pounds.

edit: [bold]Damn, you folks in the UK need some new advertising laws![/bold] I've never seen anything like that...they show an entire 5.1 speaker system for a great price and only in the fine print do you see that they're selling only one or two of the six speakers shown!

O.K. Kiddo....here are a few. [bold]These aren't recommendations but the best I can see for the buck.[/bold] Personally, I think you'd do well to buy two or three good fronts:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~YAM-NSP220.htm

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~YAM-NSP125.htm
    (without sub as fronts can operate without it)

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-NSP240

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-SSP88

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-NSP110

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/162633/art/yamaha/5-1-loud-speaker-package.html?srcid=36

14. billybob

billybob Regular member

Hey gerry!

I like the look of these 2:
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct....pid=YAMA-NSP110
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct....pid=YAMA-NSP240

Mainly because they are silver and match my colour scheme ive been trying so hard to keep!!ha!

Actually, my plan originally was to build it up bit by bit, but then you told me it was vital to have the speakers the same make and model if possible.

If i build it up bit by bit (if its easier to get the best that way) then wont it be hard to get them the same? Or are there alot of the systems sold bit by bit? If so, then ill do whichever is best.

I cant find any with built in hd tuner, under £200.

Gerry gerry gerry, so much i want to buy but i jsut dont have the money!LOL!

Thanks for looking for them packages gerry, i appreciate it alot.

By the way! Them test results i was on about, i got an A* in ICT(computers), the only one in my year to do so! Ha ha.

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@billy ....LOL!
    That never changes my boy no matter how old or rich you become...you always want more...human nature.

Take a look at the speaker packages in the following web site in the US (you won't believe their prices):

http://www.fluance.com

Fluance also has a "store" in ebay both in the US as well as ebay UK ...thing is, their store in ebay UK has nothing for sale LOL!

I've recently heard a couple of Fluance systems ... they're the best I've ever seen or heard for the money ... not top of the line, mind you, but you can't do better for the money. I've emailed about ebay in the UK or shipping to the UK.

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@billy ... by the way, congratulations on your scores; such things as grades are far more important than most guys your age know. At your age, I couldn't have cared less about grades which was unfortunate...but I was your age in 1966 and the computer hadn't been invented yet ... in fact, the very first pocket calculater came out and it cost just over $100.00! The texas instruments pocket calculator was as high tech as it got LOL!

17. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thanks gerry!

What did u mean by its unlikely if its a 17" im looking for?

I cant find one anywhere.

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I don't think I said "unlikely".... but what I meant was that I thought was possible to get a 15 or 17 in high def tv for 200 pounds ... I haven't looked for them yet but it seems like you should be able to...the price rises exponentially by screen size so its seems logical that you should be able to obtain one for 200 pounds. That's what I meant. Still haven't looked though.

19. billybob

billybob Regular member

Oh right.

You dont have to look gerry, youve done way too much for me already and are still looking for speakers for me!

I dont know what i do wrong, or whether it comes with experience, but i can never seem to find anything at all on the net!LOL!

Even the JVC i just bought was off a site that my dad gave me.

Ill keep looking but i cant seem to find anything at all.

20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Still, i cant find one.

any help is appreciated.