1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freespire

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by DMW, Sep 15, 2006.

1. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi all,
    Has anyone tried this distro? http://www.freespire.org/

I was bored and was randomly searching and saw an article about it. All I can gather is it's the development version of Linspire and they use latest versions of software for testing and then release them under Linspire. (The CNR, click-n-run software install that they used to charge for is now free!)

It's debian based, they have 2 versions, a completely open source version and 1 that comes with pre-installed media stuff ie codecs, java etc, stuff you usually have to get and aims to make an easy transition from windows.

I've downloaded it, but not tried it yet and am happy at the minute with Mepis, just wondered what the general opinon, if any, was.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

It's the winblows under the linux distro's, stay away from it is my advice

3. DMW

DMW Regular member

Yeah must admit that was the impression I was given.

I remeber reading about Linspire when it was still Lindows and that they logged you in as root by default! Never heard of that on any other linux distro lol.

Might boot it in a Virtual machine just to have a ganders, but from what I've read it doesn't offer me anything special, I thought it might be a good way for me to get my Windows mates/Linux nOObs to give it a go.

Fire>Frying pan, not worth it I guess. lol.