1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing "Record What You Hear" and "Stereo Mix"

Discussion in 'Audio' started by krmayo1, Sep 16, 2006.

1. krmayo1

krmayo1 Guest

I've purchased a new Dell laptop to replace my old Dell laptop. This "new" laptop has only 'line in' and 'microphone', so I am unable to record any audio streams. Does anyone have a solution? My old laptop from Dell worked fine.

Specs:
    Dell Inspiron E1505
    Sigmatel HD Audio Codec...not sure what soundcard model, but it was the most expensive one Dell had to offer. Tried the middle of the road option and it didn't work so I upgraded.

Thanks.

2. undine

undine Regular member

3. krmayo1

krmayo1 Guest

Thanks for the links, but I already have software for recording. I was hoping someone could tell me how to install "record what you hear" or "stereo mix", or how to activate it, or something similar. I listen to music.yahoo.com quite a bit and there is no URL that I know of to record from, as well as other sites.

Thanks again.

4. undine

undine Regular member

You do not need the URL to use Audacity.If you can hear it through your sound card , you can record it from your wave output.

5. krmayo1

krmayo1 Guest

That is my problem...there is no 'wave out' option.

Using Audacity I have 2 options and neither work; Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input, and Sigmatel Audio.

It still does not work. Thanks for any more suggestions.

6. slayer777

slayer777 Member

krmayo,

The problem is the Dell has chosen to leave out this functionality in their driver. My cynical opinion is that they are being payed by the RIAA for the omission.

There is a thread on the subject at this url:
    http://www.ekhoury.com/2006/08/25/sigmatel-stereo-mix-support-for-dells/

In it, you will find information on how to use the LG driver for the Sigmatel chipset.

I have downloaded and installed the 95mb version, and it works perfectly. The smaller driver appears to be an older version and I haven't tested it.

Enjoy!

7. krmayo1

krmayo1 Guest

Thanks. I suspected as much. When speaking with a Dell rep. she didn't seem to know and ended up giving me the highest quality audio card they had, hoping that it would work...it didn't.

I am going to download the other driver you suggested now.

Thanks again.

8. elijammin

elijammin Member

Has anyone found a way to fix this problem in a desktop? There are no drivers from lg for pc sigmatel cards. Can I use the notebook drivers?

9. CiDaemon

CiDaemon Regular member

If you don't have this option in your driver, you can always buy a stereo 1/8" to 1/8" male to male cable and connect your stereo out to your stereo line in port, then record from it...

10. Vliao224

Vliao224 Member