AfterDawn Forums

WinRAR problem: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

This discussion thread has 3 messages.

Hi,

I'm using WinRAR 3.61 trial version and faced following problem.

I have a few torrents that contain files like DVDR.part001.rar, DVDR.part002.rar etc.

When I try to extract files, I get:" DVDR.part001.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

I have tried all files that came with the torrents. Result is the same.

Can all those torrents be corrupted, or problem in my computer?
▼▼ This topic has 2 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
well youre not allowed to tell us you are using torrents. its piracy. but i would go ahesad and recommend to get the REAL version of WinRAR (same way u download all the rest of your stuff) and its very possible the u either downloaded a bad file ( the person that put it up there didnt put the whole thing up there or something) or u didnt finish downloading it all.

-PS2 - -Network Adapter -Swapmagic DVD -Slide Card-DVD Decryptor-DVD Shrink-Nero
-iPod--30gb White Video iPod
-PC-
-Pentium D 945 3.40 ghz processor
-256mb PCIe GeForce 7600 GT KO graphics card-120 gb hdd-2gb Sandisk flash drive-450 watt power supply-1gb DDR ram-Sony 18x DVD Burner-Windows XP Pro SP2 2003-Office XP Pro 2003
Dlux427,
how is it possible that the uploader did not put the whole thing? Also how is it possible that he didn't finish downloading? All BT clients rename incomplete files with a special extension. eg: Bitcomet uses .bc! (so the filename would be DVDR.part001.rar.bc!)

ElefAntti,
I suggest you download just the corrupted file (DVDR.part001.rar) again. If you are using torrents for quite some time, you should know how to do this, or just PM me to ask. Whatever rar file you open, read the error message. I guess each rar file gives the error about the same file. They are linked to each other, so when you open any other one, it starts extracting from the first file, it the first is OK, then it goes to the second one and so on.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.