1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your own Memory Card Exploit using the Independence Installer

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by L-Burna, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Ataxonu

Ataxonu Member

Also, my exploit file size is about 7.3mb right now in size so there is little room on the memory card... Is their a way to compress this or would it be wise to cut it down to some of the more basic menus like PS2OS (cuz it requires a shit load of space for the DEV 1 stuff) and get the USB pen drive working and then launch the misc. ELFs off of it???

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah Doodmar the method you probably want to use should be like this:

Start up the GameShark2V2 that you have right.
    Then select without codes and when the screen that says Please Insert PS2 game comes up.
    Just use the slidecard method to exchange the compiled exploit.
    Let the exploit install everything until it says Installation Complete then hit the reset button.
    Next use a PS1 game you have and insert it into the PS2.The PS1 game should be original also,not a copy of the a game.The disc has to selfboot in order to access the Menu everytime you use it.
    Good Luck man and hope it works,but if it doesn't.You might have to use a different boot disc.I hope I helped you out.

3. kujima

kujima Member

First off thanx for the guide. I got a few q's for yaa 1. Can I use this guide to put pgen on my memory card by itself without the additional files?
    2. I have a ps1 demo disc can I use the slus from this?

Also: my ps2 is totally non modded and it is my understanding that you can get pgen on the memory card and it will load a burnt cd with genesis roms without a modchip. But I have not found anyone who has done this yet.

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah man the Pgen can be put on the memory card,and you can use a PS1 demo disc also to boot it.As long as it is PS1 you are ok.The way you should probably go about this would be to find the version of PGEN V1.2.5 it was the beta demo release from http://www.gamebase.ca when you get this file.Open it up using winrar,and add the .ELF file into your FILES folder along with your .ELF files are.Now go into your KL.DAT config file with wordpad or open it up with a text document,and make the adjustment to this.

[]=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/PS2MEDIA.ELF;PS2 MediaPlayer 1.50
    /\=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/MCLOADER.ELF;MCLoader
    O=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/HDLOADER.ELF;HDD Loder Free
    X=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/HDADVANC.ELF;HDAdvance
    R1=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/CSL.ELF;CogSwapLoader by Hermes
    R2=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/SNES_EMU.ELF;SNES
    R3=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/PS2LINK.ELF;PS2Link 1.23
    L1=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/PS2LOAD.ELF;CDLoader v7 5.2
    L2=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/MCFORMAT.ELF;MCFormat
    L3=

The L3 button in the KL.DAT config file is empty so you can use this button to put PGEN on there,all you have to do is type this in the line after you inserted the PGEN.ELF into your FILES folder along with all your other .ELF files.

L3=mc0:/BADATA-SYSTEM/PGEN.ELF/PGEN V1.2.5

Another thing when you want to get the title.db to work with the PS1 demo disc.You are going to have to get the Title.db creator window gui or either title.db frontend program.Your chances of getting a good title.db are easier with title.db window gui version.This is pretty much just taking the system.cnf file from the PS1 demo disc and using that to create the slus file for it.You can find this tool off of http://www.ps2savetools.com and the Pgen V1.2.5 should be off of http://www.gamebase.ca .The compilation also is different for the PGEN emulator,because you can't use cdgen you are going to want to use magiciso or something similiar to it.I am not sure why it tends to mess up the compilation using cdgen,but it won't work from what I read.I hope I helped you out,and good luck.

5. Doodmar

Doodmar Member

On the main menu for the gameshark there are 3 options - start game, codes(or somethin like that), and language. When I select start game, there is no option for "without codes" it just goes directly to "insert disc and press X to start or O to go back". I tried the slide card here and the disk was still spinning, then I inserted the exploit disc. When I pressed X, it just froze up. Didn't even sound like it tried to read it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hmmmm.....maybe you could try jonjakjam's method where right when you get to the start menu of it,try to swap the disc with slidecard.That might work instead,keep trying and eventually you will get it man.

7. Doodmar

Doodmar Member

K, I'll go mess around with it some more. Thanks for all the help.

8. Doodmar

Doodmar Member

Nope. Nothing worked. I tried switching disks at the main menu, but when it was reading the exploit CD, it just stopped. I also tried swapping with a ps2 game(by the eject button) and then slidecarding the exploit cd. I can't find a way to make the GS cd stop spinning. Guess I need a full version... :(

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hmmm...sorry to hear that man,maybe you are right.It could be the dongle that you mentioned earlier,that could have something to do with it right.

10. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

The disk stops at the main menu, but thats not where you do the swap. Once it does stop you choose start game, without codes..you do the swap with slidecard or whatever when it says "insert game disk and press X".
    Doodmar you will need the dongle or it wont work.

one more thing
    Ataxonu you have the major ugly and old version of ps2menu, theres a version out there thats alot easier to use and looks much nicer...
    i cant remember the link>?? but if you want it pm me with an email an il send it to you.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8300, Pentium 4 2.80GHz x2
    512MB DDR SDRAM, 120GB HD
    Sony DL DRU700A, NEC ND1100A
    XP Home SP2, GeForce FX-5200[/small]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  11. kujima

kujima Member

Ok cool I think I got it. One last thing though..since I dont have a modchip or the network adapter what would I have to do to get this on to the memory card? Will this load automatically after I put it in? If needed I have a gameshark v2. And yes the demo disc is a ps disc not a ps2 disc.

12. kujima

kujima Member

Ok I think I followed the instructions pretty good but before I start making coasters can I send you some screen shots of how I set it up?

13. kujima

kujima Member

I'm using magic iso to prepare the bind but I was wondering if I still need to add that lba 12231 in the system.cnf because it doesnt give the option for it as it does in cdgen

14. kujima

kujima Member

Well I dont knowabout you guys but for me the score is: COASTERS 2 KUJIMA 0. I tried using magic iso twice and had no luck wit my first cd the second cd stated spinning and reading and I thought it worked. but when I put in my ps1 cd it it started the cd. I'm gonna try the newest version of cdgen tommorow maybe I'll have better luck.

P.s. If anyone needs the directions for how to make a slide card let me know.

15. rowdan

rowdan Member

ok im really confused, your telling me i can burn a disk link cd-r and boot it in my unmoded ps2? if this is not what your saying can you explain how i "compile" this disk? what type of media?

16. boaterw

boaterw Guest

L-burna.
    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to do this guide. It's very much appreciated. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me answer...

1.) For /FILES/SYSTEM.CNF (the SYSTEM.CNF under the FILES folder, not the other SYSTEM.CNF), do I need to change the LBA to 12231 as well?

2.) After I have my exploit all installed, do I just load up the keylaunch menu by putting in the ps1 game with the title.db I designated? Do I need to do anything else or is it just automatic?

17. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

If your using smd use cdgen to change the system.cnf LBA to 12231. With gs2 you dont need to do this =)
    And make sure you edit the KL.DAT file with notepad if you want keylauncher to work properly.

18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

w00t!!!that is right jonjakjam :) boaterw,don't forget to thank jonjakjam man.He pops in every once in awhile,but he knows this just as much as I do.I would say go with the PS2Menu instead though boaterw.The reason I say this is there is a flaw in the L3 and R3 triggers that makes it not launch any .ELF files.You can get the PS2Menu and have them all launch and work perfectly,except the cdloaderV7_beta5.2.ELF file that is the only one I can't get to work.It has something to do with making a multiple .ELF file I bet.

Yeah man you can launch this exploit from a machine without a modchip by using swap magic or gameshark.

Nah it works man,just follow the steps as you would do for this.If you have a modchip,the same thing will happen.It will boot it up and install it without any probs.

Hey kujima are you using the magiciso to compile the exploit man.I was saying use the magiciso program to compile the Sega Genesis roms an stuff for the new version of PGEN.The program cdgen works only for the ones below,but the bad thing is that the older PGEN progs will not launch anything off the memory card.Yeah just use cdgen to compile the exploit,boot it as you would a burnt disc.Then after you are done pop a PS1 game in and it will load.

19. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Sorry if there was confusion there kujima,my bad.

20. rowdan

rowdan Member

Ok so is there any way to install this exploit throught the network or directly to the memcard? mabee like "sharkport" or via TCP/IP