1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. pfagan

pfagan Guest

Well, the PPC comes standard with a version of Windows Media Player that I assume plays .wmv files. Other media players are available that can play mpeg-1 files. There may be other supported formats as well. There is a popular program on the Windows side called Pocket DVD Wizard which both rips content and then compresses/encodes into .wmv format. I know of no such program for the Mac. I would assume that going for mpeg-1 would be of higher quality? Or would DivX be useful here?

Thanks for your help.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

That would depend on your settings what quality it would be.

3. magnum515

magnum515 Member

I need help burnig a DVD. I have followed this guide to the letter. I ripped the movie using MacTheRipper, compressed it with DVD2oneX and burned using Toast 6.0.7. Each time Toast tells me it was sucessful but the disc wont play. I can not select the Video_TS folder from DVD player. (I am using a Mac G4 with osX 10.2.8. I have a Pioneer DVR-108 drive, using Imation DVD+R 8X discs. )

I have burned the movie using the data tab, as the guide says, I also used the video tab and burned dvd from video_ts folder option. All result in a disc that that wont play. I can play the compressed Video TS folder from my hard drive with no problems.

I can mount the disc after burning, it shows up on the desktop, but I can not navigate to it in DVD player. It simply does not show up in the find video ts window.

Why would I be getting discs that wont play? I have tryied to play then in my DVD player and they wont work. The player shows ERR and says check disc.

Please help!

4. abennett

abennett Member

Which version of toast is this guide using? Toast 6 lite? titanium? with Jam? I'm just wondering since titanium is kind of expensive so it would be nice to get away with just toast lite. Thanks!

-Alex

5. umlautgrl

umlautgrl Guest

Mediaguru you are a star! Followed all of your direction and presto: I've got a playable copy of the movie that I wanted to dupe! You rock!

One thing I think should be noted is that not all DVD players play DVD-Rs. So, even though you followed Mediaguru's fantastic directions you may end up having to buy a new DVD player (which are cheap enough).

Again, you rock the world! I've copied your directions to my harddrive in case they ever get taken down from here. Thanks for the insight!

Umlaut Girl

6. mateijan

mateijan Member

Hello there,

First of all, thanks for the guides and messages, it's
    all really useful..
    I still have a question though, probably a silly one..
    I've been trying to back up a DVD using mac the
    Ripper to extract it. As it is over 4.7Gb and I didn't
    want to compress it, I thought I'd divide it in two. To do
    that I used the chapter only extraction mode in Mac
    the Ripper; then I just created an image with DVD
    imager (for the first half) and burned it onto a DVD-R,
    using Disk Utility.
    When i stick it into my Mac, it is recognized as a DVD
    but it wont play. Of course it doesn'y work in a
    regular DVD player either. Is this because if you
    extract only chapters you don't get the menus? If so,
    what' s the point in using this mode?

What I get after the extraction is a folder with the title
    of the movie which contains a VIDEO_TS folder with
    one VOB file in it. After creating the image I get A
    VIDEO_TS folder with the same VOB file and an
    AUDIO_TS folder which is empty. Should I be
    getting something else?

I'm sorry but I really couldn't find an answer in the
    other messages, and I've already ruined a few DVDs,
    so if anyone can help me I'll be very grateful..

Thanks a lot

M

Ok, so I've read everything again and I can answer
    myself: I need an IFO file too, I wonder where it went..
    Never mind, I'll try again.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  7. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I would use the dvd2oneX way of splitting it which I describe at the beginning of this thread.

8. Naughty76

Naughty76 Member

Ok.... what is the min. hardware you would suggest for backing up dvd's? I was thinking about trying to get by on my G4 700mhz and just buy an external burner. But it looks like that is a bad idea.

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

You've got plenty of computer. Don't worry about that. Hell, I backup dvd's with an old Beige g3/233 when I have several machines doing work. The processor speed will simply define how long it will take to compress the video.

For instance: G3/300 takes about 1H15MIN-2H to compress a DVD9. My dual G5/2.0 takes about 8-13 min.

I do these with my titanium 667 all the time. It would take about 30-45 min to compress a dvd9.

Go for it. It will work fine.

10. mateijan

mateijan Member

Thanks, I was hoping to bypass the DVD2OneX step, since I don't want any compression, and it's not freeware... I read in another forum somewhere that you can just use DVD imager instead.. I think i'll try ripping the whole movie, then ripping just the chapters I want and then copy the IFo and BUP files into this second ripping folder, make the image from that and see what happens.. probably another coaster , you think?....
    This time I'll check it with DVD player first!

11. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

If yo split it with dvd2onex there probably wouldn't be any compression. You could also experiment with splitting in other ways.

I'm going to have to look into dvdimager and see what is up with that proggy.

12. mateijan

mateijan Member

mmm... I might have to get that DVD2OneX in the end.. My experiment didn't work. What I don't get is, why have all those "Title" and "Chapter" extraction modes in MTR if you only get a VOB file out of them? You can't burn a DVD with just that, can you.. Unless.. is there something that converts VOB files into quicktime or something of the like?
    DVD imager is nice and simple enough but again i think it doesn't cope very well with large size files (over 2GB or so) though, that may have been due to me doing something wrong again.. Thanks for your help anyways

13. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

For what you are trying to do Dvd2oneX is the way to go. It will pay for itself very quickly.

MTR should generate a working video_ts folder in title mode but there's a bug that makes the disc not play sometimes. That will hopefully be fixed in the next version.

14. Naughty76

Naughty76 Member

Any good ideas on a decent external DVD burner?

15. gaspump57

gaspump57 Guest

Hi,
    I am a new user to rip and burn DVDs. I have been using Mac The Ripper and Popcorn. You seem to know quite a bit about the mac ripping and burning. Thought I would turn to you first. You referenced MTR version 2.6 in your guide. I began with MTR 2.02. I have been going to the MTR website since Jan 18,2005 to try to download version 2.6. I keep getting a message in the download window stating "can't connect to host" I had a friend try it on his computer - he couldn't get a connection for the download either.

Do you happen to know why and or is the version 2.6 available by anothr means?

Thank you,

CD Jones mr57@bellsouth.net

16. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I talked to Geezer and he's got some kind of server problem.

Go to www.versiontracker.com and you should be able to find a server with it on. If you can't get 2.6, 2 should work fine just rip whole movie.

17. gaspump57

gaspump57 Guest

Thanks, I'll try that link.

I have been using version 2.02 - it had been working just fine until two attempted movie rips in the last few days on brand new - new releases - one of which is the forgotten - the other, oddly enough is the bonus disk fo rthe Star Wars set. I tried two different disks of each title. Figured it may be the newer copy guard "?" Anyway, will try the version tracker site as you suggested. Thanks again,
    Gaspump57

18. gaspump57

gaspump57 Guest

Hello again,

Went to version tracker - successfully downloaded MTR 2.6.

I will try the two previously mentioned movie titles later to see if 2.6 can riop them.
    thanks again for your help.

Gaspump57

19. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Could be the aarcos protection.

Go to www.ripdifferent.com as that is now the forum and support area for Mac The Ripper.

20. dino05

dino05 Member

Is there something like DVD2ONEX for os 9?

Thanks for the great guide!