1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube LASER tweak

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by speedi, Dec 24, 2004.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I think well all agree though even with the faults its still better than the PSO method..

2. amsol

amsol Member

I've done the laser tweek on my revision C from everywhere between 165 to 230 with no luck. I'm using good media and burn correctly. At lower settings I get "no disk" and at higher settings I get "an error has occured". Anyone else have this problem.There has to be a point in there somewhere that works. By the way all my backups work great on my older revision A/B cube

3. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

I have a revision A/B cube and the default resistance of the pot was 160... I could play numerous games like RE4 with a DRE from time to time. Untill i was no longer able to pass a door! I also have a burned copy of Pop:WW and MP6... They didn't boot, although the MP6 works fine when streamed. The Pop:WW not(guess it's a faulty image...) I then decided to alter my pots restistance. With a lot of hassle i managed to set it to 185 and it worked. I can now pass the door in RE4 without having a DRE! All my other copies work wel except the MP6 en Pop:WW(cube gives error after logo..) I burn at 2x on Memorex Mini-pocket DVD 8cm with Lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S. I got a PAL cube/platinum version. (the LoZ:TWW pack). I also tried burning isos at 1x but they can't be read by the laser in my cube!
    Hope they'll release 0.5 soon... =)

grtz r;e;s;p;e;c;t

4. molton

molton Member

Hi, I'm having problems with this damn thing... I got Verbatim mini DVD's and an A/b board with 208 Ohms by default. Most of the games I burnt run, but any games that require a lot of loading or if a movie plays for more than a couple seconds the game says it can't read the disc, it's at 75 or something, it's the best I got it yet, but it's not very good. Would it hurt to raise the impedence up to like 300 ohms you think? it didn't work well at all at 260.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Do you reckon the 0.5 bios will include a software laser tweak type thing. To increase compatability, will this render the laser tweak redundant?

6. molton

molton Member

I hope so, cause I can't get my cube to read my discs (it reads most of them, but they all freeze to a disc error screen after a short period) no matter how much tweaking I do to that touchy potentiometer, I get the feeling with my drive that it's not even trying half the time, it seems like something a bios upgrade could fix.

edit

I used Verbatim mini dvds, which were said to be ok on ps2ownz, but apparently mine suck, I used some memorex dvd+r discs and it works great

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  7. speedi

speedi Member

Me again.
    I truely believe that 195 - 210 is a good setting for all cubes.
    I have vipered about 24 now and came to the conclusion
    that These games

Mario Party 6
    Mario Power Tennis

cause DRE's all the time that's why I'm using them as
    test Games.

I have had no complaints so far.
    My people tell me that Memorex and Traxdata DVD-R's (8CM) are the best (ritekG04). Burned @ 4 speed on a Pioneer A07/a08/a09 burner.

Thus this message.

8. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hopefully the now mythical 0.5 bios will sort a lot of these little problems out... speedi you got props on the 0.4 bios .nfo, they know what your doing here, so hopefully you guys might be able to hook up for the future of all cubedom!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Help! I lowered my laser to 195 ohms and it still won't read backup games! I burned res evil 4 onto a maxell full size dvd-r... at 4x speed.... whats happened?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  10. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

oh damn i thought that was the quote button, its a PM button.. sorry!!

i tweaked my laser from 222 to 202... if i was there anyway i might as well tweak it. i use cobra 0.3 and MP5 gives me only DREs on Memorex 8cm DVD-R. the same for PoP:WW. i used PoP:WW on Philips FullDVD+R and it worked perfectly. i heard several experiences about the memorex minis, some say they are perfect, no DREs at all. others say they totally suck and do NOT work at all.

now im hoping GCOS 1.3 or cobra 0.4 will work so i dont have to do a fulldvd mod. I cant do a fulldvd mod actually, cuz my brother wont let me and its his cube as well. damn. anyone got a GC shell he doesnt use?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  11. Artlover

Artlover Member

I've done that too. Much as I like this place, they way they handle quoting around here is absolutly redicilious.

12. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

actually, how do you quote?

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

you type
    Now back to the matter in hand, my question, ahem.

14. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

damn no offense but thats the suckiest quote i know

15. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

I made this thing to my gamecube:
    http://www.freewebtown.com/make86/images/gcmod.JPG (little low quality)

There is'nt needed really that third wire, but i noticed that after i soldered and i didnt wanted to put soldering iron on again=)

This really helps a lot when tweaking laser! And it does resistance more only 1.5ohms.

16. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

Cool, maybe im going to make a variable resisitor for my internal lighting :p

17. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

By the way, it would be very good if someone would do automatic laser tweak, something like: if laser unit hangs still, it adds and lowers resistance to some up- and downlimit back and forth, until laser unit moves.
    Or is it already made? If is'nt, i'll try to research.

That limit is easy, just put about 100ohm resistor with that varia resistor.

18. Ize

Ize Regular member

Set it to 200, nothing works.
    Had it at 187 worked , so i'll be setting it back.

19. War_Lord

War_Lord Member

Hi There,

I have a platinum rev A/B cube with 247ohms default and a 0.4 version of Cobra Bios. I get random DRE from some games and not from others... I changed the variable resistor from 150 to 250 and it always do the same.

Specially, I get DRE while speaking to a specific person in Paper Mario and when I modify the variable resistor, I can play for hours and then, when I come back to speak to that person, it will say something different, and then....the same DRE happen...

I heard that there is a compatibility problem with this revision of the cube on this forum.

I used : Memorex dvd-r full size at 4X (boot the DRE)
    Ritek Ridata dvd-r minidvd-r at 4X (boot then DRE)
    I tried to change the version of the bios (v0.3), and even changed the bios (tried GCOS1.3) but it will always do the same error.

Does anyone experience the same problem with this revision of the cube?
    Any help would be great.

20. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Im having the same problem except I tweaked my pot from 480 down to 180.... DRE heaven...