1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best Antivirus program

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Champ2005, Jan 25, 2005.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ive used the Trend Mirco PC-cillin Internet secrity 2005 for awhile now and have had very good luck with it.

So usrhlp where you you place Trend Mirco in your list?

and yes norton is the worst program i HAVE ever used hands down ,it crashed on me three time in like 3 months, i put it in the trash and never looked back.

2. m1gx

m1gx Member

What makes a perfect anti-virus program:

1. engine effectiveness with power and speed.
    2. better removal not quarantine or deletion.
    (what makes the diff. if you detect a virus but can't use your important files anymore. same as disease detection without cure)
    3. low memory or cpu consumption.
    (i have a very good anti virus but keeps hanging my games even my whole system. you didn't bought your pc just to run an antivirus. LOL)
    4. support firewall, email scan & other features.
    5. easy to use gui.
    6. price value.
    7. easy update ( unable to update! error updating, can't connect to update server. what do you want us to do update manually everytime. get a job!)

even one of these statement fails to comply it is not a good anti-virus.

anyway its just an opinion to each his own.

3. elliott

elliott Regular member

I recently visited Windows Catalog and user ratings for AVG 7 is 4 1/2 stars. Nod32 uses alot of resources and if you burn or encode video it will slow the process down I must say I have heard alot about it and tried it once but Avg has been protecting me for over 4yrs without flaw or impact on my systems performance. It also fits the above criteria with auto updates and daily scanning email integration who could ask for more from a free program and it now has been updated for spanish speaking users.

I recently purchased a UK magazine in Canada called PCtools and they recommend AVG as well.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Yes AVG is alot better than norton and its free if you arent doing heavy surfing.downloading etc. AVG works fine

5. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Fix-It Utilities v5 w/Antivirus by Trend Micro

6. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Right now i have AVG and Kaspersky, ive had em for more than a year and i have to say AVG is #1 for free antivirus in my books, and Kaspersky is also good. :)

7. helenyork

helenyork Member

Hi..

I bought a dell system a few months ago and Mcafee was installed on there for free. 2 days ago i got a message to say Mcafee had expired (no warning to say it was ABOUT to expire!) i tried looking round on the net for other virus software but everytime i typed the word 'virus' into the search explorer closed down. i finally managed to do a free virus scan and 2 viruses were found (GEDZA) and they were both found in dell. so i went out and bought a new scanner and the old version of Mcafee wouldn't uninstall- kept directing me to upgrade online. i took advice from this page and i'm currently running 'antivir' and so far 17000 files have been scanned and 2200 traces of the gedza worm have been found. i think Mcafee and dell must have something to do with it so you have to buy mcafee. what do people suggest i do? once the scans finished should i try and load up the new mcafee or go with someone else? also does 2000 (and counting) traces sound serious?? thanks in advance everyone :eek:)

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

McAfee has to be the worst antivirus on the planet. Listen read this forum it has been discussed over and over. To help you decide first thing do you use Outlook or Outlook Express as your mail client if so then uninstall all antivrus programs on your system and install AVG 7 free edition if you don't use Outlook or OE then just keep Antivir installed it will do the trick it's scanner is slow and has to be run manually as well as updates but is a good product. If you want more automatic updates, scanning and email integdation use AVG.
    That's it partner you don't need to go and buy anything. If you read this entire thread you'll find that McAfee and Norton are system resource abusers and that they don't do as good a job as some of these free programs.

9. svar91

svar91 Regular member

has anyone used nod32?

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

11. stnerb

stnerb Member

Well to respond to your reviews of my findings... I have taken a machine with over 200 DIFFERENT Kinds of spam related, about 95 virus' and IBIS related hijackers.... and tested them without "Fixing" them.

I found that AVG got about 90 virus'... as I stated before. For being Free- Its the ticket so far... (Full Version had same results) But Wouldn't find half of the newest Trojan Downloaders which is classified like half Spam and Half IBIS hijacker related.. so Its really not Its job to do that... (i Guess) (Smart spam bastards) I however am seeing that the heuristics are getting much smarter with AVG, now if only they could heal the Heruistics, cuz they just allow me to "show file" but the Heal button is removed. hmmm... Maybe a little more automation in their removal would help.

I tried Kaspery 2006 Beta... (antivirus/spam/
    I was pretty impressed... it got 85 virus's and found 23 more spam than E-wido did and resulted about 184 chunks. I Was impressed.... but will the stuff come back? well, Maybe... I didn't notice that it removed the registry entries, but I could be wrong. I will retest...
    This by the way is REALLY BETA.. but DAMN good. If off the gate, its getting almost everything AVG + Ewido rare Spam, MS AntiSpyware should take care of everything else. So for now... I give it a 7/10 out of the gate. Good jobby Kaspery

I used Sophos for a while, until I realized it used so much background tasking to chase the last program opened, or to second guess the next program or download you were going to access.. It made me a bit nerved to see that "YES" it worked very well, but Slowly. I don't like slowly and I don't like what MS XP does to a machine now a days.. so XP + Slow Tasking = Shitty AV Optimizing. Hopefully they won't piggyback their patches forever on the same program base like they did with NAV. NAV's program base is still the same as it was in 98 and 99.
    (Thats NOT a goot thing)

I want to retry NOD32, but I hear its pretty unfriendly with the user, and might chunk out resources and efficency of Machine. but to comment, I wouln't doubt it is the TOP of the POP3.(heh)
    The reason I think AVG is better overall, is because it takes jack schmidt for resources on the SLOWEST of machines. I would Imagine to run it WELL< you would need a freiken powerserver to compensate for your loss of CPU time. I Believe in Practical Soultions.. So Before I put my foot in my mouth, I will Retry them this month on a Dinosaur with a chunk of schmidt, and I can really tell how it performs.

Thanks

Virus Mamer

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I'm not going to take any side in here because I know for sure that there's always flaws from all of those programs we used period. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that everyone has at least one or two spyware, adware or virus/trojan inside their computer, but if you know what you're doing and can rid of it manually then you should be contented to what you have. Just make sure to update its definitions regularly, defrag your computer weekly, and scan your computer on a daily basis then you should be fine.

13. helenyork

helenyork Member

Hi..

The free virus scan finished and I had over 3000 signatures of the worm Gedza.3. There are loads of .zip files it couldn't delete though. The zip files, and .VBS files according to AVG are infected with VBS/GEDZA.A. I still can't uninstall Mcafee. comes up with an explorer script message- the error is 'invalid procedure call or argument'. I do a lot of downloading so will prob go with pc-cillin. will Mcafee still being on my system do people think it will conflict with this? also, for the zip and vbs files the free editions can't delete, can I run a search for the files and delete them that way? any help people could give me would be much appreciated. especially how to get rid of mcafee! they charge £1 a minute for technical advice! thanks in advance :eek:)

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

have you tried deleteing the program from you C drive (folders etc.)?

try doing a web search on finding a removal tool for the program ,thats probably your best bet in getting rid of it.

or even call dell there tech. support is free ,they may be able to help you.

15. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@svar91

i currently use nod32 and find it VERY complete, it has found a lot of viruses that my mcafee (in the past, now no longer) did not find~

i actually run nod32 iN UNISON (together) w/ AVG...they don't seem to have any conflicts with each other thus far and i have not noticed ANY system slowdown whatsoever. i am pretty satisfied with my level of protection now. i have used practically EVERY other antivirus out there in the past, some programs for only a few weeks to "test" while others for months on end before i realized the downfalls of them.

my opinion would be AVG or Nod32 for antivirus; OR, you can go out on a limb like me and use them both together as a combo to fight your system of threats/viruses :) just my opinion of things...to each their own~

16. helenyork

helenyork Member

i called dell- they can only help with hardware problems, but were more than happy to pass me over to mcafee £1 per minute! i really feel like i'm being held over a barrel by them and do believe the virus came from mcafee so i had to subscribe. i said that to dell, and the manager came on the phone to sell me an upgrade of mcafee! i've tried manual deletion of mcafee but the message i get is registry editing has been disabled by your administrator" although i am the administrator. mcafee have now said they're unable to help me! i hope i can just buy 'pc-cillin' and install that to get rid of the viruses. would people recommend downloading it from the website or buying the disc? also does anyone have any ideas on how i can edit the registry again? thanks

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i have Trend Mirco PC-cillin you will def. like it its the best antivirse program i have used
    i would def. get the disc in case you have to reload it its worth the extra 10 bucks for sure

18. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@helenyork

you can use a program such as regcleaner to modify your registry~ downloaded programs are great, i have VERY FEW programs on disc; as long as it's from a reliable source (meaning the actual company that makes the product OR a website you can trust- i use cnet.com all the time for MANY downloads, they are fast and i personally trust their verfication process before they offer downloads to the public).

i can bet that you will find a good registry cleaner from cnet.com too~ just do a simple search and you can pick what you would like to use..they give detailed descriptions of the programs too (functions/user opinions/etc)

hope that is a start~ i had a very hard time w/ mcafee before when i first used it long time ago..uninstall was a bi*ch~ ended up reformatting my entire harddrive and installed a fresh copy of winxp to get everything COMPLETELY out~ :) i hope you don't have to go THAT far..but, it will definitely CURE your system of the problems/traces that you are experiencing~ :)

good luck

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

oh CCleaner will clean your registry or Highjack This both are great tools try both or either or

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i use mcafee, but the principle remains the same. a virus scanner that is out of date isn't a virus scanner. new viruses are out probably every day, hence updates for virus programs are out a few times a week. I have mine to set to auto-download new update definitions/or engine etc every night. There was even a nasty MSN Messenger virus out a while back that bypassed the URL's for all the major virus scanners on your machine, thus stopping your machine going to find updates. But even that's not enough. Over the last few years at work we have had 2 staff actually release their own home-grown viruses, the giveaway was that each time Mcafee or whoever the companies were, hadn't come across the viruses before, so they were either brand new viruses, or in our case, new as they'd been home-grown hence not known to anyone else.
    I used to use software firewalls but got sick of them not working so bought a new modem (well it's a router, 4port switch and firewall all built in).
    Just type "shields up" into google and go thru the Shields Up test, it'll show how secure or insecure your machine is