1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BenQ 1655 lightscribe?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juliano, Dec 22, 2005.

1. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

BENQ DW 1655 retail - Okay gang I've gone and joined the club & ordered from newegg - Now a possibly stupid question so please bear with me okay ! Do I need to installed Nero to use the lightscribe function ? or just the lightscribe software ? I have ROXIO and I like it EASY CD & DVD CREATOR 6 Platinum ! If I do need Nero no biggy because my 400 gb drive is going in soon so it's gonna be a clean install ? And yes I know that nero & roxio don't play nice together so I'll just insrall one or the other! Thanks for your help guys & girls ! Peace & Happy burning!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

mifirman,
    I live and work in Southern Oregon - nice to meet you. To get an image in your signature, you need to go to 'edit personal info' in the 'my account' tab and insert the image url that you would like to be displayed between the UBB tags [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  3. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

You do not need to install Nero to get the LightScribe function, but you do need to download the LightScribe host software if you do not install the Nero. I downloaded it from here:

http://dl1.nero.com/LS_HSI.EXE

I did not install the Nero that came with the drive because I already had the Nero 7 ultra edition. Apparently the LightScribe host software is in the Nero program on the disc. This would explain why I didn't get it on mine because I only installed the Q suite and did not see any LightScribe software listed on the install disc.

good luck

4. mifireman

mifireman Member

FiremanDB thanks for your help. That's too complicated for an attic rat! Ordering my 1655 next week. Do you burn +R or -R? I burn +R's but they will only play on some DVD players. Do you know why? Stay low and safe , bud.

5. juliano

juliano Member

mifireman,

The +'s will work in almost all Stand alone DVD players...just booktype them....The -'s leave as they are, can't booktype them anyway.

6. lgt1

lgt1 Guest

What exactly is book typing I have Qsuite 2.1 but it doesn't make much sense . I have burned home videos in both dvd-r and +r and they both play no problems in my sony DVD player . If it increases compatibility why was it not set that way in the first place.

7. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

mifireman - I used to burn nothing but DVD-R's but I could never get them to play in the stand alone DVD players at work. Now that I have Nero and this new burner, I only burn DVD+R's because I can booktype them to read as DVD-ROM's and the DVD player at work will read them. Entertainment for the crew at work is important you know!

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

FiremanDB- Thanks for the help & Thanks also for doing your job ! & to your fellow firefighters & to mifireman as well ! You guys & gals are american hero's Like our millitary & police officers & often times it may seem like a thankless job ! SO Thanks guys ! I understand better now FiremanDB that the nero /lightscribe software included in the retail box is entertwined together so to use that version I do load nero and if I don't wnat to do that I go to the website you mentioned ! Okay I can handle that ! Now I just have to decide whether or not to put the NEC-2500 A that the BenQ will replace into a USB Box or not ? But there's always time ! now I just have to decide whether I wait till my drive comes in to install the HDD too or just dive in ! What do you think about indecisiveness ? Gee! I don't know LOL!!!!! Thanks again BURN'em on both sides (MEDIA) Happy burning !

9. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

I too used to be indecisive - but now I'm not, well I don't think I am, pretty sure I'm not, although sometime I can be....

lol

10. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

BIGTOXY69 - Thanks.

11. mifireman

mifireman Member

Dear Fireman DB, thanks. What brand do you use? I have had excellent results with Verbatim. Very seldom do I make a coaster. I have been unable to find Dual Layer +R's with lightscribe by Verbatim. Do they even exist? Can you reccommend a +R dual layer with lightscribe?
    Dear BIGTOXY69 thanks for the compliment. It's always uplifting to get a sincere compliment. Especially today, I just turned 40, AHHHHHH! Now I have to go buy a sports car, a Members Only jacket, and relive my childhood!

12. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

mifirman, I bought a 50 pack of Ridata DVD-R's a while back because they were a good deal and have not had good results (several coasters). I recently bought Taiyo Yuden +R's and have been very impressed. I tested them using the Nero CD/DVD speed test for quality and could not find a Ridata disc that I had burned that scored over 91 on quality (burning at 4x). The Taiyo Yudens seem to always score 97 or better, and thats burning at 8x. I have also had good results with the Maxell High Grade DVD+R's (made in Japan) and Verbatim LightScribe DVD+R's.

I will be using the Verbatim LightScribes for everything that I will be putting a custom label on, and the T.Y.'s for everything else. I have not tried a double layer burn yet, and I don't know of any DL LightScribe media out there. HP may have some, but I won't be buying their brand as I believe it is far inferior to Verbatim Lightscribe DVD media.

NewEgg.com always seems to have Taiyo Yuden DVD's for a good price, and I buy Verbatim LightScribe media at Wal-Mart because I don't have to wait for someone to mail it, and they have good prices.

13. mifireman

mifireman Member

Fireman DB, thanks for the tips!

14. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

I use Taiyo Yuden TYG02, these were recommended to me after I had trouble with "Grade A" Ritek G05's....

Not a bad burn with the TYG02's the burn quality with DVDinfoPro is always a minimum of 97% except when I experimented with "overspeeding" and burnt at 12x.... I think it dropped to 95% then. That said they play fine on my standalone player. I also have some TYG03 16x DVD-R, not had a chance to try those yet but am hoping for similar results.

Back on topic - it appears that the Retail version of the DW1655 will be available in England in and around the 20th January !!! Wahey ! Komplett will be selling both versions and my preferred supplier SVP are also going to be selling them.

15. royphil

royphil Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  16. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

Wahey !! Retail DW1655 ordered yesterday, should be with me early next week, they have taken a while to come to the UK but at least I am almost within touching distance of mine now ! lol

17. hmeister

hmeister Member

You have waited long enough! Your pain has ended! (almost)
    Did you by the Retail (The one with the Free media??)

H.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  18. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

Hi H

Yeah I got the Retail one with 5 free Lightscribe discs. I read up loads on the difference between OEM and Retail and decided the latter was going to be better for me.....

As you say the pain is almost at an end !! lol

Regards

19. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Hey, no fair. Mine only came with 1 free LightScribe CD. I have been a burning fool the last few days.....I love my BenQ 1655!

20. Dinobot

Dinobot Member