1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB serious problem

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by mmalyszko, Feb 21, 2006.

1. fireman00

fireman00 Member

This is what got my 30gig Zen Xtra back up and running after a FUBARed firmware upgrade. I was MediaPlayer 11 on an XP desktop because I did not use MediaPlayer to manage my music files.

1.) Uninstall all Creative software & drivers
    2.) Uninstall Media Player 11 and Media Player 11 runtime. This is done by going to add/remove programs and uninstall. This entire process will require 2 reboots.
    NOTE: this does NOT put your PC back to MediaPlayer 10, you will HAVE to manually reinstall MediPlayer 10. Side note, I had to pull down the files from Microsoft's site to reinstall MediaPlayer 10.
    3.) After the final reboot of the PC, plug the Zen in. You should see a balloon stating new hardware detected.
    4.) Open the firmware upgrade file on your desktop/ latop.
    5.) On the Zen, select "reload OS".
    6.) After several seconds the upgrade should begin.
    7.) For some reason the firmware upgrade seemed to have locked up on the Zen. I did a hard reset, the firmware upgrade window on the PC then showed the firmware completed and my trusty 4 year old Zen is now working again.

Here's the link to Microsoft's page on how to remove MediaPlayer 11: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer

2. richardag

richardag Member

I have a 60gb Zen Xtra from about 2005-6.

It is pretty much full of songs,and had been good as gold since I got it.

However after not switching it on for 6 months,it seems to have totally died.Assuming it was the battery that was faulty,I bought a new one,but I am unable to charge it through the USB port.

I have tried the reset button and so on,but I can get no life at all.

Can anyone suggest anything? I am very loath to give up on it,as I don't have the music backed up,and it must have taken many hours to download all the music on to it.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

3. coachop

coachop Member

The battery does not charge via USB You need the wall charger for that. USB is for transferring data only.

4. nomad78

nomad78 Member

I'm pretty sure my 30g doesn't recharge thru the usb, just the power cord.

Are you positive your 60g can? It'd be a nice upgrade if so.

5. coachop

coachop Member

I am positive that it can NOT. I have a 30,40 & 60GB Xtra.

6. richardag

richardag Member

thanks for your very speedy responses - my mains charger is broken,can you suggest where I can buy a new one?

Thanks

7. coachop

coachop Member

I don't know where you can buy it but,I can tell you that the wall charger for the Sony PSP will work since the polarity is the same. I use one to charge mine.

8. richardag

richardag Member

thanks for your response,I'll try a different charger

9. richardag

richardag Member

a message for Mr Coachop

I can't seem to find a charger on ebay or anywhere else - do you have a spare one I could buy from you?

Thanks very much

Richard Gray

10. coachop

coachop Member

Where are you located?? I do not have a spare charger. Remember the wall charger for the Playstation Portable will work as well.

11. nomad78

nomad78 Member

Anyone ever buy a car charger for your nomad that didn't work? I got one off Ebay that was supposed to be compatible, however, the player just goes on the fritz, turning on and off in a loop till I unplug it. Once in a blue moon it seems to get it right. And YES, I switched it to car mode! At least it was only 10 bucks. Even the cigarette lighter adapter is falling apart now.

12. coachop

coachop Member

I have one I bought on Ebay. works fine. The only time I have ever had a player do what you described was when the battery was really drained & that was with a wallcharger BTW. I never allow my batteries to become totally dead before I charge them to avoid that.

13. nomad78

nomad78 Member

Actually it could be that. My nomad is on its second battery and it doesn't hold as long a charge as the original. It's seems 30% or less every time I try to use the car charger. Guess the car charger just can't keep up with the power demands. Thats never happened while using the wall charger on mine. Hmmm, I wonder how finicky it is with getting the exact voltage and amperage its supposed to.

ANd on another note: Who likes the newer players Creative's been making? Seems they're not making large capacity stuff anymore. They're all multifunctional, video players. Although the Zen 32gb, might be enticing with its smaller physical proportions, and looks like its gone down in price.

14. coachop

coachop Member

I have many Creative players. I still think of the newer models the Zen VM is still the best PMP they have ever made. They are easy to repair or replace parts,upgrade the drive & are cost effective to do so.I have a couple of the Zen (creditcard size) players.They are nice but not as DYI repairable as the VM.

15. richardag

richardag Member

thanks coachop,I have ordered a playstation charger from ebay.

16. richardag

richardag Member

................and the playstation charger works brilliantly.

Thanks coachop!

17. coachop

coachop Member

You're welcome

18. phonegame

phonegame Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
  19. stef1645

stef1645 Member

I have a Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 60GB that is stuck in rescue mode. At first i was getting a "harddisk problem" with all the options , but then i banged it in my hand and that problem is fixed. Now i just need to make my computer recognize it . while installing drivers i get "MTP failed". does anyone nows how to get around this so i can install firmware.

20. coachop

coachop Member

Your hard disk problem is probably still there. What OS are you using?Version of WMP?? What firmware version is on the player now?? Which one are you wanting to install? Will the player format the drive while in recovery mode?? (Don't waste time trying to format it any other way)