1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

@bcounty: Is there somewhere you could upload a sample of that file that stutterz? That way some peeps with the 5140 can try it out and let you know... Just my 2ยข. :)

2. bcounty

bcounty Member

[bold]ruFFritch[/bold] -- Hmmm... that's a good idea. But I'm not sure. I may be able to upload part of it somewhere, but how do I get just a part of it? Thanks!

(And does anyone have a public/anonymous place I could upload part of it to?)

3. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

4. bioforce

bioforce Member

I love the 642, and the 5140 seems all around better. One thing I'm curious about though.... when watching divx with hardcoded subs (such as anime) do the subs still get cut off on the bottom like they do with the 642?

5. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

I have not seen subs get cut off either the 642 or the 5140.

It might be your TV.

6. bioforce

bioforce Member

I've noticed on three differnt tvs, but only on some anime fansubs with hardcoded subs. Bleach and Naruto come to mind as examples.

7. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

I agree with you dcmorrow.... 5% overscan is considered (by some) to be acceptable for television... Truth is that many consumer (TV) manufacturers overscan 10-20% (some even more!) of the picture. If the subs are too close to the bottom of the screen, then they would certainly be cut off in many "out of the box" consumer sets.

8. Poofy5

Poofy5 Member

hey guys, I've been reading all 3 pages of this thread and my question hasn't been answered...so I created an account to ask it.

I recently got this DVD player and it seems to be really great, mainly because the reason I'll use it is I have a bunch of divx movies to burn and watch on the big screen instead of my monitor.

Anyway, I've been burning the movies (in divx code) to CD-R's using the DivX Player app., which allows you to drag and drop the movies and burn them. Now, I'm able to watch the movies, but sometimes it'll skip or freeze for a while, and most recently I've been getting to this part on a certain movie where it'll go back to the beginning, it's starting to bother me. (Mind you these are brand new CD-R's and the original avi files aren't corrupt)

What I'm thinking it may be is the burning speed, which I have a 54x burner, but unfortunately, DivX Player wont let me choose at what speed to burn, so I'm guessing it's burning way too fast, I'd rather it burn at the slowest, 8x most likely. So what I did next was try burning it in Nero, since I can choose the speed there, and I'm burning it as a [bold]Data CD[/bold] (ISO1). Well, 4 cd's later and none of them are read, the dvd says [bold]Loading[/bold] and after a while it'll just say [bold]Stop[/bold] and wont load.

Can anyone tell me in what mode am I supposed to be burning at? Or any other burning method I can use?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Poofy5..It mostly sounds like U got media problems ! Or U never said what kind & model # Divx Player U got..I use DVD RW's,that way I can put 4 movies on 1 Disc.Watch them then decide if they are keepers.If I really enjoyed the movie then I wait for the DVD which is a lot better.Also with DVD RW's I can add 12 episodes of most TV Series.These I Keep,but I always use RW's to make sure all is OK..HATE just hate wasting a Disc on a movie that has something wrong..Jusr cause U got new Cd's don't mean they are good !!What kind did U by anyway..The best are TY's & I think Ritek..Again!!Me I like a Printable Disc,that way you've got a nice labeled Product

10. Poofy5

Poofy5 Member

wow rick...thanks for telling me what U like, I have more info on that than the answer I was looking for...thanks! *sarcasm*

Again...the question is, what is the best way to burn DivX files into [bold]CD-R's[/bold] to watch on the Philips dvp5140?

the cd's aren't an issue, they're just...CD'S!! All this talk on what cd's are better and all that crap, we've gone through this in the 90's, I really doubt that with the technological advances we've had the last couple of years cd's are still an issue. If you really wanna know, they're just regular Fujifilm 80Min 700MB discs, great bargain!

11. aagouti

aagouti Member

a reviewer on amazon said it doesn't play dvd-r. is that really the situation?

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Poofy5..Every thing in your last statement is totaly wrong !
    OH YA!!The best way to burn Cd's is with a Cd,DVD Burner.I've got a 5140,an Avayon DXP1000,a 642,and a US Logic.I don't seem to have any of the issues that U have.So I'm guessing that what U stated is totaly correct.Sorry U could'nt grasp what I was saying,sometimes i even get way over my own head with those long technical explanations

13. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

Guys,

Maybe using Nero UDF or ISO will help better.

That's what I use without any problems.

14. gonwk

gonwk Member

Hi guys,

NEED HELP fast. few days ago I bought a Philips DVP5960 and tried out to play some of my AVI files. I played my Chinese movie with an SRT Subtitle (name on AVI and SRT are identical ... but lengthy) ... it played OK at first and then it froze one of the "Subtitles" 15 minutes into the movie and no more what I did the darn thing would not play subtitles passed that point.

I tried the same dvd in my PC and played back using Window Media Player (and I have DirectVobSub loaded) ... it played through beautifully.

I took the unit back and asked for another one .... I tried playing back the same Chinese movie and AGAIN the darn thing did the exact same problem.

Q1: WHAT I SMY PROBLEM?
    Q2: Can I fix the Player or my File?
    Q3: would I experience same problem with Philips DVP5140?

I also have another problem ... AVI's freezing at certain point and not playing at all with DVP5960.

Q4: Is this problem unique to my 5960?

Thanks,
    G!

15. pingpong1

pingpong1 Member

Poofy5 Im no expert but use to have the same problem as you a few years back, where newly burnt Divx files were jumping and sometimes I had sinc problems. At the time I was blaming my media, then I started blaming the burner, but found when I finally got down to reducing the speed of my burn all my problems disapeared. You say that your Divx Player burns at 54x only, you should use software like Nero as you can choose your burn speed and I always pick the lowest speed, yes it takes longer to burn but not like Im in a hurry, and for last 3 years I havent had a single problem with Divx's and I have 500+ Divx's.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

MOVIES SHOULD NEVER BE BURNED over 8x speed.THATS ANY KIND of movie.Myself I always burn at 6x

17. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I never burn anything faster than 4x-very rarely do I have any problems-if I do it's usually bad media.

18. Tardus

Tardus Member

I bought the 5140/37 from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Last week I walked back by it in Wal-Mart and the price is down to $49 BTW.

PROBLEM 1: has anyone seen anything about hacking the player (or something) to keep it from turning off after being paused about 10 minutes? That's really annoying.

PROBLEM 2: Sadly there are a couple of resolutions like 960x528 that the unit will play the audio on but put up a "resolution not supported" message. So many TV shows I "find" are at 960x528

GOOD: The Phillips 642 seemed to have a max bit rate of around 150kbps. With the 5140/37 I've played DIVX files at 600kbps so far. Although usually anything that high is in the 960x528 resolution which isn't supported.

19. Poofy5

Poofy5 Member

pingpong1 you were almost there man!

yes, I know that's the problem, but I guess you didn't read my last statement which says that I do have Nero, but just don't know in what format to burn at. That's what I tried doing to burn at 4x, which only takes like 10-15 minutes, I don't mind that at all.

So my question, rephrased again is:

[bold]What Format (In Nero) should I burn my DiVX files to so I can watch them on my Philips dvp5140?[/bold]

here are my exact quotes from what I explained in my ending statement of my first post of this matter:

20. Tardus

Tardus Member

The top of either list (DVD or CDR) is "ISO"... the default settings for either is what you want. There's nothing you have to change. I've never used multisession... I would assume the session has to be finalized.

(pay attention to choice B)

You have 3 choices:
    A) DVD player doesn't like your media
    B) DVD player is a dud
    C) CD/DVD writer is a bit out of spec

hmm...
    A) I've used 3 types of CDR and 3 types of DVD -R's. (Memorex, Phillips, Ritek). The unit seems very compatible
    B) The first 5140/37 I got from WalMart was a dud. It played ISO DVD's with DIVX files fine but would not play a CDR with a DIVX file. I tried two types of CDR media and then took it back. The 2nd usit has worked perfectly.
    C) Oh so possible........