1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Codec Issues? Look here.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Praetor, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Woohoo! Another happy ending! :)

2. Kanzentai

Kanzentai Member

When I try to play a certain AVI file, I get no audio and blocky video in Divx Player. I get "Unknown file format (XVID)" in BSPlayer. But it plays fine in Virtual Dub.

Gspot tells me I don't have the right audio codec, but in Virtual Dub the audio works and it tells me the following:

[​IMG]

I installed everything according to the step by step process in the opening post.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  3. Praetor

XviD doesnt play in the DivX player. :) The DivX player playes DivX files :)

4. code_red

code_red Member

will the nimo pack install gator, or any other adware/stealware/pop-upware? DIVX bundle is not an option for me, because gator is involved.

5. slice16

slice16 Guest

I have installed all of the codecs, and i have captured some footage on teh college computers and brought it home, however wen i try to play the file, i hear the sound but i just see loads of colourful squares and no proper video can be seen, when i run the video thru gspot it tells me the codec is installed... please help

6. Praetor

slice16 : When u render through GSpot, what is the render sequence?

code_red : no

7. cretoide

cretoide Member

Praetor,

I seem to have a problem with all Xvid and some Divx videos.
    Of course i followed your guide to install codecs ;)
    The problem is that the video freezes constantly (I have divx antifreeze 0.4), and if I switch to full screen it keeps going right for a few seconds and freezes again, and the same otherwise.
    I think it's a WMP problem, because the Divx ones play right with Divx Player.
    In this case, do you know of another good program that I can use to play Xvid files?
    In case it's not the WMP, can you think of anything else?

Thank you veeeeeeery much.

8. TacticalT

TacticalT Member

Praetor:

I followed your list to the T and there was only one item that I could not find, as the link indicated that it was not available (or something to that effect)

"11. Download AviFix. It serves a similar purpose to DivFix and between the both of them, you can fix most movies. You can grab it from http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifix.html"

I tried a search for AviFix and the search engines all point to the same link you provided.

Any ideas where else we might grab AviFix or can we just leave it out?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

9. slice16

slice16 Guest

Praetor, its ok now, ive found out the problem, it isnt a codec issue, i needed to get the temporary files that were there two for it to work :), cheers for the help

10. Praetor

cretoide: (1) It might be WMP. DivX player is designed to play DivX movies whilst WMP is somewhat of a more general player (2) Open the movie up in VirtualDub, does it play okay there or does it chop and skip too? See if you can do an Video --> Scan for Errors on it.

TacticalT: AVIFixed isnt really needed to play movies (its more for troubleshooting/fixing). The link http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifix.html works for me however if you really *really* want it, feel free to drop me ur email via PM and Ill send it to you.

slice16: Glad you got it workin! :)

11. cretoide

cretoide Member

Praetor,

I used the Avic FourCC Changer and changed XVID to DIVX, and now it works okey.
    It seems Divx movies are "similar" to Xvid.

Thank you anyway

12. chiXu

chiXu Guest

Praetor...just like to say thanks for the guide, has sorted all my ever annoying viewing issues out. Thx! :D

13. Praetor

cretoide: Sometimes for various reasons both innocent and nuisence, FourCCs get changed like that hehe

chiXu: No problem :)

14. goettchen

goettchen Member

Why not just simply use the Videolan VLC player instead of going through the codec hassle? I could play all video files using VLC in the past. Just my 2 cents.

15. Praetor

Because (1) Not everybody knows about VLC, (2) Not everyone WANTS VLC and (3) Some people actually like codecs.

16. goettchen

goettchen Member

Preator: Sorry, no offense intended. I just thought that VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) might be a valid alternative to installing codecs (especially on non Windows systems). For people like me, that just want to watch movies and don't want to worry about what codec/audio filter/subtitle viewer to install it is really convenient, since it comes with its own built in codecs and doesn't change your windows installation. So it's potentially less dangerous than installing a codec pack with the wrong options turned on. But I understand your points that some people might not want VLC and use some other player instead, because VLC really isn't the most feature rich player out there.

17. Praetor

Oh no offence taken.... opinions and stuff make this place cool :) Whereas VLan might have good playback capabilities, I question its encoding functionality since, as you say, the codecs are selfcontained (which means other applications wont be able to access them).

'sides I would think, in an ideal world hehe, it would be better to have a configuration where you could play movies regardless of the player (which is why i reccommend WMP for testing in a lot of cases because, if it plays on WMP, odds are it will play elsewhere).

18. NovyDurak

NovyDurak Guest

Sorry for ignorance, but which codec is required for vcdistro files?

19. Praetor

I made this thread so I wouldnt have to answer the same thing over and over and over.... a lot of the time people post their questions (which have been answered here) in random places anyways without searching through posts and such.... but then once in awhile someone finds the post and asks the question anyways hehe.....seriously.... read through the post and ur problems should be solved.

20. romenov

romenov Member

Hi,

Your codec post helped me out a lot,
    I have this movie which showed a "white square" on the screen, thanks to your help that is fixed now, however, the audio is not playing now. Any suggestion how to fix this?