1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Use a USB Thumbdrive as a Memory Card (For Softmod)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Rod70

Rod70 Member

Hi & thanks. Not got as far as VID & PID yet as I've yet to correctly format the stick. I'm thinking this is a Vista thing. I've used the USB stick for a while in vista. I've formated it to both FAT & FAT32 but no joy. Evereytime I insert in Xbox I get unable to mount. When formating in the PC I can also change the alocation unit size so maybe this has some bearing. I've had a problem with an old mp3 player in that it used to format fine with XP but when formatted using Vista its knackered until I use XP again to format it.

2. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

Hey,can somebody say does Kingston 512 MB, USB 2.0 datatraveller work?

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ Rod70

Sounds more like a cable issue! Are you sure your cable works???

@ SuperKail

You've been elected 'Team Guinea Pig', try it and let us know!

;)

4. puregfx

puregfx Member

5. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

Thats exactly the same as the one i used, as soon as i got it out of the box i stuck it in the XBOX and then followed through the tutorial and everything worked fine, i think it may be that the home made cable your using could be the problem, it may be worth investing in a "proper" USB - XBOX cable, i did because it only cost me £2.50 and it saved the hassle of making my own and possibly screwing it up :)

i then plugged the cable into the controller 2 port on the xbox and plugged the USB stick into the other end and powered the xbox on and after the flubber animation the first thing it did when it booted to the dash was tell me the memory unit i was using wasn't working properly and had been erased (formatted to xbox memory format) smooth sailing from then on

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  6. Rod70

Rod70 Member

That's the one I have. I have a proper Xbox - USB cable. The Xbox detects the pen drive but reports 'unable to mount' when inserted. Have you by any chance already used the pen drive in a Vista machine? If so then this may be the issue. I wish XBOX Action Replay would bring out updated drivers for Vista. It's really anoying the way the Xbox was discarded so soon in favour of the 360.

7. puregfx

puregfx Member

This is my custom made xbox to usb adapter

[​IMG]

I'm using a ipod female connector with a xbox controller connector.

here is a image of the ipod female connector

[​IMG]

I simply tied the same colors to the usb to the xbox cable. when i plug it in nothing appear to happen.

Also before did anything with my kingston flash drive i formatted it to fat32 before plugging it in and still nothing worked.

@ Jimi20
    so i should buy a retail version of the xbox to usb adapter
    it's only going to cost me a couple of bucks right?

@ Rod70
    No i'm not using Vista OS. i'm using Windows Xp Service pack 2.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  8. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

I made one and it worked great, worked first time with a generic crappy 16MB memory stick.

9. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

@puregfx When you said a couple of "bucks" i did the math and realised (assumed) your in the US? im in the UK and it only cost me £2.50, i did a search on ebay.com so i could view prices in $ this was the result:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=xbox+to+usb&category0=

now, dont take my words as gospel i cant guarantee this will solve your problem, but i have the exact same USB stick, and XP SP2, and managed it with no problems so i can't see why it shouldn't do the same for you, let me know how you get on

Kind regards
    Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  10. Rod70

Rod70 Member

Well I've rulled out a dodgy xbox - usb cable. I used our Fuji S5500 digital camera with 16MB XD card and managed to transfer gamesaves without fault. Its just my 1GB Kingston Data Traveller that the Xbox has issue with. I wonder if the issue is related to a certain batch/serial of these USB drives?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  11. puregfx

puregfx Member

Alright i'll try to get my hands on that xbox to usb adapter cable.

Once i get it i'll test it out and if he doesn't work it mean it must be my xbox or the flash drive itself.

Hopefully it's the adapter as you said Jimi20

12. Edmundajw

Edmundajw Member

Hi,
    I have got as far as being able to see memcard in Action Replay.
    However clicking on it tells me there is only 2 blocks overall space and 0 blocks free space and therefore I can not copy anything to it.

Does anybody know what is wrong and how to fix this?

I am using a 128mb MP3 player.

Thanks

Eddie

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The matching of the colours doesn't mean anything! I have a Hub that I use and it's colours are all wrong!

If you have access to XBMC, plug the card into that, it'll tell you straight away if it's working!

I don't like MP3 players as a memory card, they are not designed to be formated outside their original setup!

14. puregfx

puregfx Member

Hey Chunkhead,

I have Evox and how do i put appz to my xbox.

i made a folder in the e drive and named it "App" and put all my application in there. How do i get it to work. i can't go to filemanager when i get to the Evox Dashboard. it doesn't say filemanager anywhere.

i know this isn't the right place to post but can someone send me a link where it can be found and how to put appz and games in EvoX dashboard.

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Easiest way for Apps installation is via AID v4.10

If you are FTPing it, simply create the folder E:\Apps and place the Apps inside

eg.

E:\Apps\XBMC

16. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

I started like that, i was using a 128mb Itronics MP3 player and had exactly the same problem seems the only way round this is to use a proper USB thumb drive and not an MP3 player

17. dide_101

dide_101 Member

well I really have a problem that needs solving I think I already know why it isn't working but I just want to comfirm it from you guys

Well I did all the right steps I connect everything to the right place I quadruple checked

Then When I put the memory stick my xbox controller just stops working alltogether.

I read somewhere that UsB 2.0 is not compatible with the xbox so i got like the oldest memory card known to man. and I put it in but it still didn't work I don't know what's happening and I'm pulling my hair out for it What's the problem

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

USB 2.0 is irrelevant, it will just convert back to 1.1!

What stick do you have? Is it on our lists?

19. Edmundajw

Edmundajw Member

Ok, Thanks.
    Did you manage to format the MP3 player back to fat/fat32 though because windows is unable to do it. I even tried downloading a different program to do it but it had the same problems. I have yet to try it using Linux though, it could just be windows being stupid.
    How did you do it?

Thanks

Eddie

20. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If you read the tutorial properly I explained at the bottom NOT to use an MP3 player! It also explains how to remove the driver...