1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to restore your Microsoft Dashboard to it's Retail State? Read Inside.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Mik3h, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

If you have attempted to install a softmod on your Xbox which failed and gave you an error, and the Microsoft Dashboard will no longer load, then this is the guide for you.

You have two options : If you still have the Hacked Softmod files still on your Xbox then the simplest way would be to do the following :

Step One : Load up the softmod installer using the correct game for your softmod files :

Splinter Cell: Go to Start Game, click LINUX, and you wont see any check points, but still press A for the Check Points. Then the installer should load up. Pics of the process:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mechassault: Go to Campaign, click Run Linux and that should load the installer. Mechassualt is known to be harder to get the installer loading since it requires a certain edition. Please be sure that when you have 'Run Linux' highlighted, the files description is as follows:
    Controls: Normal
    Difficulty: Regular
    Current Level: Going Down Hard
    If that does not show up, then you will have to get a different version or get Splinter Cell or 007.
    Pics of the process:

[​IMG]

007: Go to Load Mission, then select the Xbox Hard Disk option and that should load the installer. Pics of the process:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 2 - Download the latest version of the Microsoft dashboard : http://rapidshare.com/files/14478719/ms-dash-mik3h.rar (If the link is down, then let me know!)

Use WinRAR to extract it.

Step Three - Download an FTP client : FlashFXP : http://www.download.com/FlashFXP/3000-21...j=dl&tag=button

Step Four FTP to your Xbox by launching the softmod installer via Splinter Cell (this opens up a temporary FTP link between you and your Xbox)

On FlashFXP, click I agree to the trial box, and then press F8 (quick connect)

Server or URL : This is your Xbox's IP address which can be found on the bottom left hand corner of the softmod installer.

[​IMG]

Username : XBOX
    Password : xbox
    (These are the default login credentials)

[​IMG]

The rest can be left alone. If you all the details are correct, click connect and you should be greeted with several drive letters on the right hand side.

Double click on C
    Now, on the left hand side, navigate to where the microsoft dashboard is (the one you just extracted with WinRAR)
    And they should look similar to those on the right hand side.

[​IMG]

Now highlight all the files on the left hand side, and drag them to the right (if prompted to overwrite files, choose "Yes".)

[​IMG]

Once the transfer has completed, turn off your Xbox and turn it back on. If all has gone well, your Xbox should be restored to it's retail state (don't worry, saved games, music etc. is still there)

The second method

Ok, so you cannot FTP to your Xbox and you still need it fixed? Ok. Well, the second method would be to make a Data DVD with software like Nero. Simply make a Data DVD of the microsoft files, and put it in your Xbox, and use an file explorer program for your Xbox and move all the files from D(disc drive) to C(msdashboard).

If you would like to re-softmod your Xbox, follow this guide : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/311710

But you can miss out the first seven steps as this simply covers the process of actually placing the softmod saves onto your Xbox, which I am assuming are already on your Xbox.

-Mike

UPDATE : 02/02/07 - Fixed MS Dashboard link. Thanks to those who pointed out to me that it was down!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. wasted05

wasted05 Guest

asome tutorial Mik3h....

;)

3. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Excellent Mik3h :)

4. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

yea good job Mik3h..
    =)

5. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Nice job Mik3h :D

P.S I like your desktop espeiacally your wallpaper.

and Wasted I don't think you are aloud to make 2 accounts. Why did you make one anyway and you posted you liked the tut on both names. WTF?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  6. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

*EDIT*

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  7. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

And tocool thanks, it's the "Windows Recall 6.0" theme used with StyleXP :) And the wallpaper is from Metal Gear Solid 3. Thanks.

-Mike

8. h2Oded

h2Oded Member

I'm curious why XBox Book.xtf uploads as only 0 bytes in the main C: directory. I've had this problem before with files not uploading right.

9. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

What FTP client are you using?

-Mike

10. h2Oded

h2Oded Member

SmartFTP

11. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Used to use that, dodgy and annoying. You should try - FlashFXP. Or look at my other stickied guide - FTP to your Xbox using Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer/Firefox

-Mike

12. azzidrain

azzidrain Regular member

Before you go FTP'ing once you are in the linux dash, first try to restore ms dash. If that doesnt work, then I would go ahead and try the FTP'ing part of the tutorial.

Xbox Modding

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  13. imryan

imryan Member

dude, this is an excellent tutorial ur a genius :)

14. TRAVX

TRAVX Member

thanks alot for the HOTSWAP technique

worked to perfection for my son's XBOX

can't tell ya how much it means to him

he won't be softmodding any longer lol

15. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Haha, that's no problem. I don't think the Softmod is too dangerous as long as it is controlled ie. most recent up to date SID installer.

I mean, I don't know about your Son, I'm only 16, but I guess at the end of the day it all depends on your computer knowledge eh. If you need help re-softmodding, I can help you through.

-Mike

16. Nealbert

Nealbert Member

if i do this on a modded box will it still be modded if i just dont' delete all of the mod stuff?

17. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Yep, as long as you only overwrite the C files with the files in the linked RAR file, then it will be still be modded.

-Mike

18. daswat

daswat Member

Thats nice, but only one problem, I pressed this one option that actually erases EVERYTHING in your xbox, even the dashboard, so this means I cant reput this save because I dont have a dashboard to do so. Can I just download the file for the dashboard and put all the files to the dashboard to one folder and burn it to a CD and will it work? If not, what am I going to do with my xbox?

19. michaelw1

michaelw1 Member

OK i softmodded my xbox tried to take all the mods off cuz i wuz modding halo 2 i deleted all the maps i modded all the saves when i opened the unleash x dashboard it wouldnt give me the option to uninstall it so i ftp'd it and deleted everything in the C&E folders and tried to put my backup hd in but it didnt work and now i dont have a hard drive its the error screen in green letters sayin call for support in 20 diff. languages wut can i do 2 restore the hard drive??? post n e thing that could possibly help from tuts to downloads or n e thing

20. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Have you tried booting up a game? If so, launch the softmod installation and FTP your dash back over, then re-softmod.

-Mike