1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tar Files to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rolando88, Oct 2, 2006.

1. rolando88

rolando88 Member

I download lots of movies in TAR format. I've tried to convert it using VCD Gear to MPEG and then tryed to burn it using a few MPEG to DVD programs and it constantly gives me an error constantly. can you give me good instructions and some programs that will work good to use?

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I believe you will need Winrar to extract the video fom the tar, then you can use VSO to convert them to DVD: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_convertxtodvd_guide.cfm Nothing else needed but the trial does have some limitations. If you receive any bin/cue files, you can just burn them to CD or else you will have to make them DVD compliant.

3. rolando88

rolando88 Member

1st question:
    You said you could just burn them to cd and then what to do to get it on dvd?

2nd question:
    I have ConvertXtoDVD and where the burning settings are it doesnt list my dvd burner?

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

(1) You would have to extract the mpg, then author and burn it to DVD. I use Isobuster and, I think, VCDGear also does. Here is a guide for Isobuster and if you're going to DVD, you don't need the CD first: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=141726 (2) I don't use VSO but it has it's own burning engine. and some burn the encoded and authored files with Nero. VSO is also very good and if I hadn't spent the last couple of years tweaking another encoder, would use it.

5. rolando88

rolando88 Member

I used VCD Gear. to convert the bin/cue to MPEG.

SO after i transfer what program should i use and how do i use it?

I tried using TMPGENC DVD author program and it gave me like 3 errors.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sorry, I know nothing of VCDGear or its output; do you know if it's MPEG 1 or 2? Many here use it and, hopefully, they'll provide the answers. Like I said, I have only converted to mpg and authored with Ulead MovieFactory which I don't think will accept your MPEG. TMPGEnc DVD Author should have authored your files unless it"s MPEG 1 you're trying to put on DVD. Nero Vision Express, from what I've read, should burn your MPEG 2 by selecting DVD Video and checking use smart encoding in options so it doesn't encode the file again. Maybe ImgBurn; it's free and easy to use.

7. rolando88

rolando88 Member

Tried the nero express thing and it didnt work. it still was trying to encode.

8. rolando88

rolando88 Member

So is my best bet to use ISOBUSTER to get the bin/cue to MPEG. then use tmpgenc dvd author to author it and then burn it with what?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't know then. I'm pretty sure your output is MPEG 1 and only VCD compliant with an audio trait of 44,100 Hz while you need to transcode that to MPEG 2 which is SVCD, DVD compliant with audio of 48,000 Hz. Following the guide for Isobuster (free) is fairly straight forward and will make an mpg that TMPGenc DVD Author will accept. You only need to follow the guide for VCD or SVCD to mpg and opening the file in Isobuster will show you whether it's MPEGAV (VCD) or MPEG 2 (SVCD, DVD).

10. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Try viewing some of the MPEGs with Windows Media Player or, better yet, Media Player Classic, and click File->Properties and let us know whether it is MPEG-1 or 2 and what it's audio rate is.

Assuming Mistycat is right (very likely), you can keep it as VCD if you want to avoid all this hassle. You WILL have to wait many long hours to transcode it from MPEG-1 (VCD) to MPEG-2 (DVD and SVCD). You said you tried Nero, but if you just cancelled after 10 or 15 minutes you might have given up too early. You have to let it run 3, 4, 5, 8 hours, maybe all night. I would not go the TMPgenc route, because of cost, licensing, and potential spyware and security issues - it requires occasional authentication. There are many other tools available as well, so you have many other opportunities to make this work.

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If what Dunker is saying is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it; in fact, I,ve since read that the file needs to be run through an encoder or Nero after pulling out the MPEG elsewhere, too, go with Isobuster. Now I'm confused and I have asked about this very issue in another forum. The conversion to mpg with Isobuster takes 5-10 minutes and there are no audio issues with VCD. You simply author and burn to DVD.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  12. rolando88

rolando88 Member

size- 480 x 576
    aspect ratio- 4:3

audio codec-MPEG Audio Decoder
    video-DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder

13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

That looks like a SVCD, not a VCD. SVCDs have better resolution than VCDs. You should just be able to open a template in Nero Burning ROM for SVCD, (under CD, not DVD burning), drop your MPG files into the red folder and burn, no transcoding required. If your DVD player supports SVCD, then it'll save you lots of time.

If putting it on DVD is your goal, have you tried Nero Vision again? Remember, be patient, we've all been there...:)