1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lite-on firmware confusion

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by cziembo, Oct 5, 2006.

1. cziembo

cziembo Member

boy, am I confused. I have two computers with different DVD burners. I successfully updated one of them, has a TSST TS-552B. However, I cannot seem to find updated firmware for my Lite-on SHW-160P6S with firmware version PGS1. I went to a commone website and it lists the burner I have, but I see nothing about or similar to version PGS1. as follows:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:47 am Liteon SHW-160P6S
    LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S - PS04, PS05, PS08, PS09, PS0A, PS0B
    Use LtnRPC to reset or disable the Region Counter. Click Disable and your drive will be region free!
    RPC-2

My SHW-160P6S is shown, but what relevance is PS04, etc? I suspect there is NO updated firmware. Is this correct or am I not going to the right place or just totally confused?

Any help anyone can give re: firmware updates would be welcome.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok a breif intro to firmware incase you didn't know...
    [bold]RPC1 Firmware[/bold] is to make your drive region free, along with other things which need to be done, found here...
    [bold]RPC2 Firmware[/bold]
    This is normal firmware that just upgrades your drive to read the latest disk codes, therefore avoiding errors like dvd's not being recognised...

As for your firmware, the last listed on The Firmware Page is allways the newest, some manufacturers just like to use lettersrather than numbers... So PS0B shoudl be what you want...

Get back to me..

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Was the burners in your computer when you bought it? If so, you probably have the firmware of the computer company, and not the burner company. In that case, you'll need to upgrade the firmware, from the computer's website.
    In other words, if you have an HP computer with a LiteOn burner, with HP firmware for the burner, and you flash the firmware to LiteOn's firmware, you'll void your warranty. If warranty is out, don't worry about it. Flash to LiteOn's firmware, if you can find and get it.
    Something to think about.............
    Good luck!