1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD writer problems in Compaq

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by phillyj, Oct 7, 2006.

1. phillyj

phillyj Member

i have compaq presario sr1250nx with a dvd+-rw with cd-rw abilities and a cd-rom drive also. the drives can read data cd but has a longer load time than previously. the DVD drive can't read a music cd or a CD RW. when i put in a CD RW or music CD, the drive icon in My Computer shows no change. the drives are enabled. no new drivers were installed because they are not available. i believe this is a software problem but not sure. please tell me if you need any more info

2. phillyj

phillyj Member

now the cd and dvd drive works somewhat. the dvd rw plays dvd,data cd but nothing happens when i put in a music cd(cd r and cd rw type. it doesnt register in the my computer section. data cd's work in my other CD drive and it can read the music cd(cd r and cd rw)but when i open it in MS media player, an error comes up( 0xC00D1197: Cannot play the file). previously these samed music cds worked fine in media player. then i opened it in in winamp and nothing happened. finally, i tried The Core Media Player and it worked. btw, i used a laser cleaning cd but i dont think there was any affect. anyone help please?

3. phillyj

phillyj Member

can some one help.i need to burn a disc and don wanna try until i figure what the problem is.

4. phillyj

phillyj Member

someone please help. i dont know what to do and i need the cd burner to get working

5. phillyj

phillyj Member

if it will help, i used starforce nightmare a long time ago. but i have been able to burn things after i got rid of star force and that game i played.

6. phillyj

phillyj Member

has no one encountered this problem. im on my wits end. HP is not much help. i cant update the drive becaue i cant burn and i don have a floppy drive. i used starforce nightmare many many months ago, about 5 months. i have unstilled the drives and had XP reinstall them and that was no help. my cd drive is fixed and i can play music on it b/c i made some registry changes like the HP guy told me. my dvd drive plays dvds but it took a long time, about 120 seconds to recognize that i had put in a blank DVD+R in the drive.

i guess no one said anything b/c i didn mention my drive name. it is a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA4083B. hope this will help. can someone help me. i searched on every forum known to man for help.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

my grand-children have a Compaq computer,and there dvd-drive was having a problem..

first i went to the Compaq web site and be-hold there was a bios update for there computer..sitting there..waiting for me to down load and install..

that fixed me problem..

next thing i did was install a new dvd-rom..a sony ddu1615 from newegg
    for 18 dollars..

also ye can do is uninstall the drives in device mgr..
    and reboot and windows will install the drivers for the drive..

8. phillyj

phillyj Member

guess what everyone. i got the writer to work. i only tried the cd burner and didn't try out the dvd side yet. what i found was by mistake

i was looking over the startup programs in msconfig to turn off the unnecessary ones and i come across a program named "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service." i check in administrative tools and it seems to do with burning. i turned it on using info from http://www.visualwin.com/CD-Burning/ and i got the burner to write a cd-rw. so anyone with this issue should check it out.

it sucks that hp/compaq help center could not even think of this. they need to teach these people before they send them to customer service.