1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow read speed Sony DRU-510A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Asik, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Asik

Asik Member

I having some probs with the speed on my Sony DRU-510A.

When i run ex. Dvdxcopy xpress to make a backup of ex. Matrix it take my Dvdr 35 min to read out the Matrix DVD.

Is this time right ???

I have tried to install forceaspi but it doesnt change anything..

I have a friend that read out the same "Matrix" in about 10-15 min ?????

Think he has a HP300i.

This can´t be right, that the Sony should take soo long or ????

Best Regards
    Asik

2. Marino13

Marino13 Member

Manufacturers lock down read speeds on DVD recorders to try to tick you off so you won't want to rip DVD's with it. Your best bet is to get a seperate 16X DVD-ROM and use that to read. My DRU-500A reads slooooooow but my DDU-1621 reads fast. Basically, use your recorder to record and your DVD-ROM to rip.

3. Asik

Asik Member

Typicall Sony :( :( :(

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually, all manufacturers do it. However, you can get firmware updates to unlock the drives speed.

Chris

5. DeadlyMEX

DeadlyMEX Guest

Where do you go to find those firmware...All websites that i gone to are for Region Free firmware.Have not found any region free firmware for 510a so i guess the overclocking firmwares are still not out.

6. Asik

Asik Member

I have also search for "those" firmwares but not still found them :( :(

//
    Asik

7. jimmylad

jimmylad Guest

I am trying to hack the firmware on my tosh dvd player on my PC as it can only rip at 2x. Here's the dilemma.

My floppy drive is buggered, so I cant use a boot disk from there. I dont want to flash the dvd from win 2000 dos, so I need to make a usable win 2000 boot disk.

I have a 64mb usb flash key or could use a cdr with the boot disk bits burned on it.

Anyone any ideas.

Also how do I even make a boot disk in win 2000. I cant find the utility anywhere in my installation.

Ta.

8. jimmylad

jimmylad Guest

Sorry this post appeard twice so I edited it into this message.

How do I delete it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2003
  9. Matador

Matador Regular member

first of all you will have to check if your Mobo can boot USB drives if not you can make a cd-r/-rw boot disc..to fnd boot disk http://www.bootdisk.com/ great site..

10. jimmylad

jimmylad Guest

OK I've been there and downloaded the relevant stuff, but it when i run the unzipped executables, it asks to insert a floppy disk and there is no option to copy to a cd.

Next ideas anyone?

11. security

security Member

The easiest way to tell your burn speed is to see how long it takes to burn the DVD. 1x=55min. 2x=28min. 2.4x=24min. 4x=15min. All times are approximate.
    UPDATE
    i updated my phillips . it is now compatible with 4x media . i burned the matrix in 24 mins on express so acording to glass thats still 2.4x
    I backed up a concert movie on dvd x copy and it was ok too
    ASIK do you have the latest firmware/upgrade?

12. security

security Member

JIMMYLAD , SO YOU DID INSERT THE BLANK FLOPPY RIGHT ? THEN WHAT HAPPENED ? IT LOADED AN EXE?
    THEN YOU OPENED IT BYEXPLORING THE A DRIVE RIGHT? OR NO? _X_X_X_X_X_[small]:)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2003
  13. goolie

goolie Member

Just bought the DRU-510a. It came with firmware 1.0a; first thing i did was to upgrade to firmware 1.0c.

DVD read speed is still very slow; took 45 minutes to read a Simpsons DVD with DVD Decrypter (which reported 2x speed). DVD X Copy seems to be going faster with the same disk, looks like it'll be about 32-34 minutes if the 'time remaining' estimate is correct.

Oriphus, you said that "...you can get firmware updates to unlock the drives speed". Can you provide any specific details on this. Sony's latest firmware certainly doesn't seem to do a damn thing, wrt ripping speed.

14. TheCapt

TheCapt Member

I had no problems with the firmware upgrade ( to 1.0c ) The problem I got is that I have also another dvd drive, I was thinking of using that for reading dvd's and my dru501a for writting. But when I have the 2 drives connected I can only use my older dvd drive (set as slave). I noticed that Marino13 posted above recommending the use of a dvd drive for reading and one for writting, anybody has had this problem, and if you did and you solved it, could you post haow you did it here please?
    Txs.

15. TheCapt

TheCapt Member

Well, I found a solution to my problem, posting solution for those interested.

After trying avery option with the IDE configuration and triple checking jumpers etc. I still couldn get both dvd drives to be on at the same time. The read speed in the DRU is SLOW, burning speed very good. Reading with my Afreey dvd was a lot faster, a lot.
    What I ended up doing is buying an IDE PCI card, and I put the Afreey DVD reader as master in it, again making sure the jumper settings are set to master, and the DRU510A in motherboard secnadary IDE as master as well (jumper set to master as well), and what do you know, it now runs beautifull, with both drives being fully usable.
    Good luck gang.

16. TheCapt

TheCapt Member

Forgot to mention, I fully backed up O Brother Where art thou? the complete reading and burning process in about 20 min !

17. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I have a HP 200e, Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM and a SONY DRU510A. The Toshiba and the SONY both read 2.0X most of the time, the HP reads as high as 6X. The HP is external fire wire and the others are IDE. There is some kind of cap on the other 2 drives. I have seen the SONY read at 4X but 99% of the time it reads at 2X.

18. Woody2k

Woody2k Member

1) Upgrade to the latest drive firmware (see link below)
    2) Download the Sony Drive Speed Selector at:

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru510adwn.htm

Speed will be at up to 12x ripping on single layer DVD-ROMs and 8x ripping on dual-layered DVD-ROMs. Writes depend on media. I use TDK "armoured" DVD-R Video at 2x and Ritek DVD-R at 4x. Ricoh DVD+RW for data (and occasional quick-and-dirty DVD test burn) at 4x.

I use the DRU-510A v1.05c at Overdrive and can rip a DVD-5 in 15-20 minutes whle surfing & listening to music.

I have an Athlon XP 2600+/GA-7VRXP/384MB DDR3200/60GB primary/40GB RAID0 data/DRU510A/Liteon 165/Plextor 48x24x48 USB2.0

Use another DVD ROM to rip and the SRU-510 to master. Saves on wear and tear!

Gambatte!

19. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Thanks for all the great info! Unfortunately my Sony drive has finally died due to the firmware problem people are now experiencing. The drive locks up during a burn and the drive light flashes rapidly with no function at all, even eject does not work. Windows and Record Now DX reports the Sony drive as “Sony Boot”. Basically the firmware crashes and apparently there is no way to fix this but to send in the drive to Sony in CA. I have shipped my drive there but I have been told that I may not get it back for 2 to 4 weeks after they receive the drive. Arrg, my HP external drive crashed on me once but they were able to express me a refurbished drive and paid both shipping costs for the new drive and my old one back to HP. Sony did not pay for shipping and I hope they pay for the shipping when they send the drive back to me. The firmware they will update the drive with will fix the problem from happening again (so they say). I have heard of people having this happen more than once in Europe. I bought my drive at Best Buy in Illinois so the problem appears to be worldwide. I am starting to loose faith in my Sony products. At least my camcorder has not malfunctioned (knock knock knock) –{on wood}-

20. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I got a new drive from Sony, so far so good. I need to check the firmware revision dates now.