AfterDawn Forums

LITEON SOHW-1633S Firmware Upgrade

This discussion thread has 40 messages.

Hi Everyone,

I have a Liteon SOHW-1633S burner, Version BSOH, which seemingly cannot write 16X DVD-R media.

Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade to permit writing 16x media?

Thanks,
Georgen
▼▼ This topic has 39 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Hi georgen
There's an older stock firmware to increase -R to burn at 12x - BS41. You can get it here:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

But I think want you're really talking about is the latest one - firmware to recognize the -R 16x media - the latest is BSOY from 3/2006 - might do the trick. Here's a link: http://www.liteonamericas.com/twnmain/DO...re/DR16BS0Y.zip

Use good media too like Verbatim or made in Japan Sony, Fuji or Maxell.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...
Many thanks Binkie7... I'll check out both upgrades, maybe have to do both with the earlier one first.
George
No problem georgen
Yes I would think you would have to user the older one 1st to get 12x then the latest one to update the media codes. Never tried that myself but both are stock firmware for the drive.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Sorry to bother you Binkie but I have a problem. When I click on the older (1st) firmware upgrade, <1633S.BS41.stock.rar>, Windows doesn't recognize it and prompts to select a program to open it with.

What is this "rar" extension and how do I install it?
Georgen
No bother georgen :)
The rar extension is a WinRAR file - compressed file. You should be able to unzip it w/ Windows program WinZIP or you can download WinRAR from here:
http://www.filepedia.com/desktop_softwar...ools/winrar.cfm

Free trial but still useable after trial.

Open the file w/ it and you should have an .exe file to run.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
thanks again...
~g
No problem
Keep us posted on the outcome!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
After reading the following two threads on another site, I'm a bit reluctant to do the upgrade.

"I recently upgraded the firmware of my Liteon 1633sx (USB) drive, since it wasn't recognising 16x media as such (it was seeing them at 12x and burning accordingly). (F/W DR15BSOS.zip)

All seemed to go fine with the flash proceedure.
However, attempts to burn such discs in Nero now generate reliable coasters, every time (disc verification fails in all cases). Looking at the discs, the drive seems to write data on top of data: only part of the surface is written with an extra-dark track for part of it. The media is recognised correctly in Nero, and the burning phase is reported as being ok.

The media I am trying to use are Ritek Ridisc Xtreme 16x DVD+R.

Slower speed discs (e.g. a TDK 4x one I had lying around) seem unaffected.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; alternatively, is there a way of getting hold of an earlier firmware (only the current version seems to be available on the Liteon site), so I can at least use these discs, albeit at the slower speed?
Cheers,
Ed."

... to which the response was:

" Re: Liteon 1633sx firmware upgrade causes coaster city
The 1633s and 1653s are similar drives, and the sx just means an external version of this drive. I'm afraid this drive is also nicknamed a good 8x burner since their performance above 8x is unreliable/inconsistent. Stick to 8x or less for quality sake. Time difference isn't worth it (especially with this burner)"

I'm very concerned that once installed, I'll have Nero problems and will NOT be able to step back, i.e., uninstall the firmware. So now I'm not sure whether to go through with the upgrade.

Your thoughts on this matter are very much appreciated.

Georgen
Good to see you're doing your homework :)

Me - I keep all my drives up to date on the firmware. 2 of my drives are LiteOn's - one older than your's & one newer.
If I had your drive I would update to the BSOY - the BS41 just unlocks a higher burn speed on -R. Will hopefully give you a better chance with the 16x -R media. Since the drive is a 16x +R/8x -R the update may give more support to the +R 16x media.

So far using good media even some iffy ones and keeping the firmware up to date has made for minimal problems at best for me.

Hope that helps!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Thank you again Birdie. I think I'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow when my head is hopefully clearer.
~g
Ok georgen
Sleep on it and let us know!
(though I do think you will be fine - that's what firmware is for to teach the drive the newer write stragies and media codes on the newer media for one thing)
If you need any more help b/4 deciding just post back.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
@binkie7
Quote:
My one LiteOn is not that fond of the 16x Verbs. Don't get me wrong they burn & play fine but when I go to 12x or 16x - Nero or ImgBurn does not burn them at that speed
which liteon is it? not the newset one likemine is it? SHW-160P6S???
i'veburnt about 6 of the printable 16x+r verbs on it so far anf they work great even getting better scans not that means anything?
plus i just ordered them 8x+r hub printable verbs...
Can this upgrade be used for the 1635 too?
Yep that's the one cincyrob :)
Scans are fine too - 95's and I think one 98. Using the +R 16x. May just be the spindle. Play fine and no issues otherwise just don't want to be burned at those higher speeds. Looks like the BenQ does the same w/ them - though on the LiteOn the lowest it ever got was 6x.

You're fine with them - I'd still buy them.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
wow so you have had some burns at 16x???smokin how'd they turn out? im just affraid to waste a disc....that last batch of 16x+r verbs i had that gave me such problems on my hp. once i started to burn the last 20 or so at 12x i had no problem out of them....guess its like the speed limit if it say's 70 you do 75...lol
@dvd808
Not sure if it can be used with the 1635s -didn't see any crossflashing for it in a quick glance. The latest for that drive is YSOZ from 6/06:
http://www.liteonamericas.com/twnmain/DO...re/DR16YS0Z.zip

@cincyrob
Only done a few at 16x on the Verbs though - all ok. Taiyo no problems either.
lol - yes speed!!! hmmm maybe that's why I have so many tickets :)

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Thanks binkie7!
You're welcome dvd808 :)

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
SUCCESS!!!

The firmware upgrade installation worked. Here is the procedure for those that might be interested.

Use the following procedure to install the Liteon Firmware Upgrade BSOY.

1. Extract the zipped file, DR16BSOY.ZIP and run the executable, bsoy.exe (dated 12/16/05).

2. When the "Flash Utility Warning" screen is displayed, click "Yes" to continue.

3. When the "Please select target drive" screen is displayed, accept the default drive found by the installation program and click "Update" to continue, thereby upgrading the firmware from BSOH to BSOY. The update progress is displayed in the "Program" window. The process may take a minute or so to complete, based on the computer configuration.

4. When the "Information" screen is displayed, advising that the firmware has been updated successfully, click "OK" to continue.

5. When the "Reboot Warning" screen is displayed advising that the computer needs to be restarted, click "Now" or "Later" to complete the firmware upgrade process. Upon restarting the computer, Windows XP displayes "Found new hardware."

NOTE: Following the firmware upgrade, DVD-R, 16x media WILL be usable on the Liteon Model SHOW-1633S Optical Drive. However, the maximum attainable write speed will be 8x.

Binkie, thanks for your fine support in this matter. Hope this helps others too!
Georgen
Good deal georgen!
I like success stories :)

Txs for taking the time to post the instructions on the firmware update. Will help def. help others!

And you're welcome too :)

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
If you want to improve upon that litey 1633 even more, I would suggest crossflashing it with patched 1653 firmware. Made a much better drive out of my 1633 (before I upgraded to the SHM-165H6S that I am using now) imho. Do this at your own risk. Here's a link to the patched f/w http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html Here are the two f/w's that you can choose from:

CS0T - patched - crossflashing - fast burn FBD/FBDX (for 1633S, 1653S etc.)
CS0T - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED (for 1213S, 1613S, 1633S, etc.)

The 2nd one will revert the led back to the original lite-on way: red burn and green read.

Rig #1 Asus Rampage Formula Mobo, Intel Core2Quad Q9450 CPU @ 3.55ghz, 2gb Corsair DDR2 1066 Dominator Ram @ 5-5-5-15, TR Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe 9 blade 110 cfm 120mm Fan HSF, HIS Radeon 512mb HD3850 IceQ TurboX GPU, Corsair 620HX P/S, CM Stacker 830 Evo Case, Rig #2 Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo, Intel C2D E6600 CPU @ 3.6ghz, 2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 Ram @ 4-4-4-12-2t, Zalman CNPS9500LED HSF, Sapphire Radeon X850XT PE GPU, Corsair 620HX P/S, Cooler Master Mystique Case, Viewsonic 20.1" Widescreen Digital LCD Monitor, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 THX Desktop Speakers, http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=348351 http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=236435
Thank you Mort81 for that info. A follow-up question or two...

(1) In what way did the "patched 1653 firmware upgrade" make your 1633 better? Was it burn speed when using DVD-R, 16x media? Currently, although my 1633 will noww accept this particular media, it will only burn at 8x speed (which was better than before the upgrade when the media was refected as incompatable).

(2) If this 1653 upgrade fails on my drive, do I understand correctly that the "multi-colored LED" patch will restore the drive to the original LiteOn firmware (BSOH or BSOY, the current one)? Also, forgive the embarrasing question but where is the LED color that you speak of displayed (I don't think I've seen this before in my GUI)?

Georgen
georgen,

1) Burns better all togather, greater compatability with more media, and increases burn speed for DVD-R to 12x.

2)I don't understand all of this question but the led is the light on the front of the drive (green). When this model came out Sony and Light-on had just merged and lite-on started using the sony way for their led indicator (green read and flashing green write). Prior to this model, lite-on led indicators were red write and green read (which I liked better). The 1633/1653 are the last model that still used a multi-colored led (green, red, and orange). Any litey after these models only have a single color led (green). The 1633/1653 can be converted back to the old lite-on way (red write, green read) but must be flashed with some patched f/w to do so.

There is also some patched f/w for multi-color led if you wish to stay with 1633 f/w and not crossflash to 1653 f/w.

I've not heard of any dead drives as a result of crossflshing from a 1633 to a 1653 with this firmware patch but theres always that very slight chance. This is not official f/w and voids the warranty (warranty period is most likely over by now anyway). You can revert back to 1633 f/w but it is much more involved and difficult. If it did cause a dead drive (which is very doubtful but possible) you would be money ahead to replace it with a new 16x model which can be had for around $35.00.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2006 @ 10:48

Rig #1 Asus Rampage Formula Mobo, Intel Core2Quad Q9450 CPU @ 3.55ghz, 2gb Corsair DDR2 1066 Dominator Ram @ 5-5-5-15, TR Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe 9 blade 110 cfm 120mm Fan HSF, HIS Radeon 512mb HD3850 IceQ TurboX GPU, Corsair 620HX P/S, CM Stacker 830 Evo Case, Rig #2 Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo, Intel C2D E6600 CPU @ 3.6ghz, 2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 Ram @ 4-4-4-12-2t, Zalman CNPS9500LED HSF, Sapphire Radeon X850XT PE GPU, Corsair 620HX P/S, Cooler Master Mystique Case, Viewsonic 20.1" Widescreen Digital LCD Monitor, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 THX Desktop Speakers, http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=348351 http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=236435
Thank you for the detailed reply. Now, after looking at the faceplate of my drive, I understand what you're ssying about the LED colors!

Based on your confidence level, I'll give the 1653 firmware upgrade a try and let you know of my results (and yes, you are correct, the warranty has long expired on the 1633).

BTW - what's your recommendation for a 16x LiteOn drive, should I need one after the firmware upgrade?

Thanks again...
~g
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.