1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One Variable/Constant Ratio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joetex72, Jul 10, 2003.

1. joetex72

joetex72 Member

Hi! I don't know if this question was asked before but, what's the difference between the variable and constant ratio in DVD2One?

And which should I choose when using Full Disk mode for the best quality when keeping menus, extras and the movie?

Key words being "best quality".

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i'm not ofait with this but variable is better i think! but either are very simarlar probably not noticible?

Thx...

3. joetex72

joetex72 Member

Thanks for your input, Rotary.

Anyone else agrees or disagrees?

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes i have read posts on this and they say they look to our eyes the same! but in coding or encoding varible takes longer to process as its better quality! so i am going on that!

and if you run in a dvd drive that slight better quality could make all the diff from running or not?

thx...

5. joetex72

joetex72 Member

Many thanks again, Rotary. Variable Ratio it is, then. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

You guys and this forum are the best!!

6. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

From my understanding it goes as the following

variable ratio is when the data in the files youre creating doesnt remain the same the whole time at 1 point it could be 2000KB/s at another point 6500KB/S for example you have 1 point in the movie which has a high ratio due to alot of movement, digital effects, action, which means to display this there is more data in a smaller space. and other parts of the movie lower ratio due to not so much stuff in the data.

constant ratio gives you the same ratio throughout the whole for example 6000KB/s throughout the whole movie regardless of the amount of data on any given part of the movie

variable does take longer but looks better in the end.

if im wrong don't flame me, this is just how i understand it.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Carlitob is very much right.

It works like this:

The variable rate is chosen depending on the amount of screen movement. For instance, if it is a scene with two people talking and the backdrop stays the same, the variable ratio of the backdrop will drop, inlcuding the general aspects of thse talking.
    However, if it were a fast moving scene, the variable bitrate and ratio would increase to take in all of the movements.

This allows for greater clarity for the fast moving scenes and the less moving scenes recieve lower bit rates, but similar clarity. To work, variable bit rate first has to read through the DVD to ascertain what is performed where. Thats one of the reasons it takes longer.

Constant is set at an average throughout, meaning that bitrates can be wasted on parts of the film such as the credits, where only the centre filed of text is moving. With variable, this part of the film would be reduced down a lot making a significant saving on the rest of the movie.

Chris

8. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

see, who says im too old to learn

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Would variable take longer to process whilst playing in a standalone then?

And could this be attributed to freezing/jumping issues, and then would constant be more beneficial??????

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

very interesting piont! but i suppose there will be some kind of prefetch system and buffer ram involved but food for thought!

Thx...

11. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Is original media variable or constant?

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

darn that is a good question!

EDIT:

Just noticed its the bouncing sheep smily box hacking guy clover leaf clan!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
  13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Dont know the answer to whether the original media is variable or constant, [probably neither since compression isnt used. In reltaion to longer times to load, no is the answer. There will be no difference in times because all it is is a compression tool. It wont affect the performance of the disc.

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL on that rotary - I prefer Rolex myself....can only look at one through a shop window though....... :-(

Nah, I am going to have a look into this one a wee bit deeper....

I can understand what your saying Oriphus about the compression tool, but when the title is played back, variable can really fluctuate, so would the player read it at a lower rate than if it was reading an original or higher or indeed both......maybe the freezing is because of such a steep rise in info being transferred in such a short time and goes off the scale.....
    kinda like buffer under runs......

If you go from a still scene to bucket loads of action/explosions etc the variable bit rate/standalone are gonna go into overdrive...
    (is it decoding fast enough to keep up with whats being read)

If your laser is out of wack - your gonna get problems - I'm sure.....

If the ram/buffer (as rotary stated) cannot cope with this sudden burst of data it's gonna get lost - like trying to find the corner in a barrel...

So for instance going from 1Mb/s to 6.5Mb/s in nano seconds - thats some increase, and if the wizardry inside the standalone is lets say poor, were gonna see issues.....

Do we experience this freezing/jumping if we use a pc dvdrom?

If not is it because it is constant. mmmmmm...

I don't know but this has got me intrigued and I'm just spit balling here.....

My brother has a latest cyberhome and it displays data rates - am gonna run some tests on it I think to find out - however whether the info is real time I very much doubt it but may highlight something interesting - dvd2one and see how it copes......

Were gonna get technical I think - stick with the Riteks......

15. joetex72

joetex72 Member

Whoa! I had no idea there were so much technical stuff involved with those ratios. Consider me educated.

Like I always say, this forum rocks!!

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

This is "THE" place for debate!

NOW!

Anyone got any sex problems for "Doctor Rotary" ?

Thx LOL.....

EDIT:

On the weekends i like to be called MANDY! and BOB in the week!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2003
  17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Could you be an amalgamation of both - ManBob or maybe BobMand - as sometimes I am not fussy.....LOL

p.s - I am NOT being serious.......straight as a die......

18. joetex72

joetex72 Member

I don't know if I should start another thread for this one but, which ratio does DVDShrink use, variable or constant?

Any input will do.

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Variable.

BaaBaa, the reason i said about it not affecting the playback with either is that when it is encoded, the decoding process is standard and always operates at the same speed. It doesnt need to struiggle to decode faster scenes as all the 'struggling' would have been done in the encoding part of the process.
    I understand what you are saying, but the decoder doesnt need to know at what rate it was encoded as such. It is simply a play back decoding algortihm. From what i am aware of, the play back will be a constant ratio.

Chris

20. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

OK smart guys, who can help with this one: