1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

winavi multiple episodes

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by smcn, Nov 16, 2006.

1. smcn

smcn Guest

Hi, im using WINAVI program, I have 9 episodes of Greys Anatomy that IO would like to put on one dvd, Is this too much is it possible? and if so how would I go about this?
    I have converted the avi files to mpeg and transfered them to Ulead but it would only allow 2 episodes per disc, surely more can be put on? Thanks any help would be appreciated, Sinead

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I believe those are 1 hour episodes and to maintain good quality, I wouldn't add more than 4 episodes to a DVD and that's if they are excellent quality to begin with. I could be wrong but I don't believe you can achieve this WinAvi. A program like VSO ConvertXtoDVD would let you add files to encode and burn to DVD with a menu for each (not free and leaves a watermark). Or, since you have Ulead, use an encoder to convert to mpg in the size you want and then add to Ulead to create a menu and burn to DVD.

3. smcn

smcn Guest

Hi, Thanks for the reply. yes they are good quality but as i say they take up the whole dvd disc when i used winamp to decode from avi to mpeg, when you say put them to the size i want how do i do that, can i change settings in winavi to make the quality still good but less room taken up, sorry not very computer literate when it comes to thing like this, Thanks

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

When an encoder is used, you can set the Bitrate to match the size you need (bitrate = filesize = quality - higher bitrate equals a larger filesize but better quality). Here is an excellent Bitrate Calculator: http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm Just add the total length of the video, select an audio bitrate of 224 or 192 and DVD-5 for a regular DVD or DVD-9 for a Double Layer disc. If you can't see the calculator, you will need Suns Java Plugin available there. WinAvi doesn't have a Bitrate setting but by lowering the quality setting, you should achieve the same objective. But, I am not aware of any way to encode multiple episodes to 1 DVD with WinAvi.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

After you input files you want to convert with winavi,you can get a window,then you can select to merge into one DVD or one title.And also you can make some settings by the advanced page.But I think you should read the "HELP" with the software to know what the meaning of the settings.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

When you add the files, where is the merge button for DVD? Using 7.7 (I think), I only ever saw the Advanced settings for some options.

7. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

After you select files,must not less than two,you will see the "merge" box in "Any to XXX" window,and also can see your selected files,right? Yeh,also in which window you click "advanced" button.

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Nope, not there. BTW, sorry for barging into this thread. The main page of WinAvi will not add more than 1 file. If I add a second, the first is simply overwritten. I see the merge button in the help file by reselect but can't access it in WinAvi because only 1 file will add. Now, for a dumb question; how do you add more than 1 file to the main page of WinAvi?

9. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

Add more than one file,use the "Ctrl" or "Shift" button on your keyboard,then select files with mouse.Make sure select files together once time.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Thanks for the reply, using ctrl allowed me to add multiple files and showed the merge button. Should have looked closer at the help file; never even knew merge was an option but still wouldn't have figured it out.