1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD to VOB

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Chewie, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Chewie

Chewie Guest

My Brother has gave a date cd with a film in SVCD format which obviously can play on my PowerDVD. However recently i have purchased a DVD writer (pioneer 105) and was wanting to conver this SVCD to DVD format to play on a standard PAL DVD player (for my children).

As i am new to SVCD and yes i am an old man i am asking if anyone out there if they know how to do this process? and what software i need to do this. I do have TMPGEnc and the author but confused wether this can be possible.

Also the resolution of this film is 480 by something which i know is already wrong

Thanks.

P.S BC_HYDRO i know how you feel this is giving me a headache as well :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2003
  2. Ibonic

Ibonic Member

3. Chewie

Chewie Guest

Well it does play dvd-r's but wether it plays SVCD or not i STILL would like to convert it to VOB for to play on a Standard DVD player.

Or is there a way to encode this into a avi file for TMPGEnc to convert it that way?

4. ABMone

ABMone Guest

You need a dvd authoring program.

I like Tmpgenc Dvd Author.(not regular TMPGenc different program)

5. Chewie

Chewie Guest

Yeah i tried that but the Author replies to me saying wrong resolution to play on a standard dvd player!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2003
  6. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Your gonna need to put in TMPGenc plus
    and put resolution at 720x480
    IF you use the wizard in dvd it will work it all out

if you dont want to do that i think there are some other authoring programs that dont give a damn what format you put in it and it will convert.
    Try dvd architect

7. Chewie

Chewie Guest

What format am i using on the first screen of the wizard in TMPGEnc cause i get a feeling whatever i choose it's going to produce an error or unsupported format :(

Do i not have to use MPEG tools or something inside TMPGEnc?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2003
  8. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Just pick dvd Ntsc(american) or Pal(europe)
    and keep goin thru the screens and it will work.

9. Chewie

Chewie Guest

Nope replies back saying 'Invalid Video Source'

10. Ibonic

Ibonic Member

11. ABMone

ABMone Guest

your file is an mpeg isn't it?

12. Chewie

Chewie Guest

Yes it is indeed m8 SVCD.mpg and power DVD info displays that it is as well.

13. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried TMPGEnc DVD Author?? The only problem is SVCD framesizes are not standard for DVD (sorry if TMPGEnc DVD Author was already selected, just decided to give an input in stead of spend loads of time reading!!)

14. Chewie

Chewie Guest

Hehe np's Dela well i have given up on SVCD now and as i am still new i have managed to convert an avi to dvd and burnt. However the audio on the dvd is totally out of sync and do you know a way or have i missed an option in TMPGEnc to fix this.

Selected video source, streamed out audio from mpg and used that as wav as audio source converted and then multiplexed and then used author.

I read somewhere about a Use WSOLA.exe which is a command line if so and if this works how do i use it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2003
  15. Dela

Did you decompress the audio before encoding??

16. Chewie

Chewie Guest

No i havent but i found out that i may have to use Virtual Dub to do this and from that select that as the audio inside TMPGEnc and create the mpg and then Author?

Cause i read that TMPGEnc sometimes has problems in encoding certain audio streams from avi's/divx avi's. So by using Virtual Dub this should create the correct audio from the avi and will be the same size as teh video?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2003
  17. Dela

Nope i dont think virtualdub will do it and remember, virtualdub can only output avi files!

18. Chewie

Chewie Guest

Then why does it have video settings in it as well as audio ones?

19. Dela

because it does for avi files, but it wont save mpg files, which svcd and dvd are mpg!