1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a Dreamcast game

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by 123meetch, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 123meetch

123meetch Member

When you are ready to burn a dreamcast game such as a .cdi or .bin file, can you just burn the game even though it is over 700 Mb onto a regular CD-R,or do you have to rebuild the image file so it could fit?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

A CD can only hold 700mb. So you'd need to edit it, as long as you are comfortable doing it yourself.

3. 123meetch

123meetch Member

how do i rebuild an image file, and what will be some setbacks on the game after rebuilding and burning the image file on a CD-R?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I don't know how to rebuild the image; but I do know with games like Xbox there are files you can remove. Someone in the console forums might know something about dreamcast. However, I do not. Sorry.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- i'd have thought the game would fit. for one it (in theory) would already be the correct size, at worst you might have to overburn very slightly as some images are slightly bigger than a normal CD-R

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Theory, pah! Who needs theory? :p

But yeah, in theory if you've ripped a game which is meant to be 700mb then it should burn regardless of file size..??

But... I don't know what the average size of a dreamcast game is.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ah, don'tr worry about the word 'theory' too much, i have burnt loads of Dreamcast games to CD, not had to overburn much myself

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Cool, spose it's not nessacary to rebuild it then 123meetch.
    I don't even remember playing a dreamcast; let alone owning one!! :p

9. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

This isn't going to help you burn the games, but i found this oldschool story about the Utopia group breaking the game protection. Man they really got scr*wed from the easy copying. There are so many IS0s on torrent sites, but finding the HW these days is not easy. Or you find the Sports edition on Ebay which I think had the improved anti-mod stuff built into it. Too little too late

10. GhostPhas

GhostPhas Guest

yea, i remember dreamcast, its thinking

11. segments

segments Guest

take out some of the larger files or modify them to smaller size. burn and get ready to play :) :)

12. thebox

thebox Member

I've been burning Dreamcast games since the first one was uploaded to the Internet.
    I noticed that some of the Image files were bigger than a standard CDROM. I also had images close to 800megs
    I quickly figured out that you can burn them to CDROM by using the OVERBURN option and burning at the lowest 4x and no higher than 12x, as long as the track time reads up to 82minutes.
    Once you have this burnt and a buddy wants a copy, you can just do a Direct Copy up to the MAX your CD/DVD burner will allow

13. igegold

igegold Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  14. igegold

igegold Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

igegold, lightning struck!!! posts edited

16. RyuKonton

RyuKonton Regular member

What program do you guys use?

I've a Project Justice 2 .cdi, and its 724MB, so I'm assuming this will work as long as I select the "overburn" option and burn between 4x and 12x speeds?

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Most of us use Nero Burning Rom or IMGBurn. I reccomend Nero for this though, as if you use IMGBurn, it'll be more comlpicated.

What you said should work just fine. With CDs though, they shouldn't be burnt slower than 16x assuming they are 52x CDs. I burn most of my data/audio CDs @ 24x with no problems.

18. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Okay, I'm glad to see I don't have to create my own thread for this.

Here's my issue:
    I am running Chankast_Alpha_025, with full BIOS and I want to run Shenmue on it. I didn't think it would be that hard, but nothing I have done seems to work. I have everything I could get from the links I could find;
    all the .dlls for ASPI
    BootDreams
    Kalisto - Perfect Shenmue 4 CDs.rar

I tried using BootDreams to burn the CDI images to CD, and I thought I was successful. In reality I may have just wasted 4 CDs, because Chankast simply says "Please Insert Game Disc". Atop that, everytime I put the discs in my drives the name of the drives change to read "CD Drive" and I can't explore them because "either the data is currupt or unreadable"

To make matters worse, I can't seem to get my hands on a working copy of Deamon Tools to save my life.

So I am begging the kind users of Afterdawn to help if anyone knows how to resolve this issue. This is SIGNIFICANTLY more complicated than all other emulators I've ever run.

Thank you in advance.

[Off Topic]
    Hey, Ripper.
    [/Off Topic]

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

20. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Thanks, Ripper. Thats awesome. Hopefully I can find some way to mount all of these CDIs to virtual drives. I'll post whether I had any success or not.