1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

find the right linux for you

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by marsey99, Nov 21, 2006.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

after doing some looking in to linux i found this which i thought i would share with you.

it might help you make a good choice. :)

2. sinners

sinners Regular member

Thank you for the link. Its quite difficult for a 15 y/o too find the right Linux to run. I was gonna get Gentoo about 3 months ago, but I need more time to think.
    This helped me a lot, I'm gonna go for the Mandriva. Thanks again.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Gentoo is only any good if you want to spend forever messing with Gentoo itself, whereas (my personal favourite) Mandriva is effortless to setup/maintain and let's you get on with things instead

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sinners
    im 25 and i dont know which is the right linux to use so dont worry.if this thread only helps you it was worth posting.

iv spent the last few days downloading live cds to find out what works best for my rig, the currnet fav is mandriva as it made everything work stright off, but theres still a couple of others that haven't finished dling yet.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ marsey99..

What a relief. Somebody with the sense to test things out before attempting to install heaps of stuff only to find it doesn't like your network hardware or something..

A few more names for you to google..

puppylinux, myahOS, dreamlinux, and for us really esoteric strange m*****... kororaa These all work well for me, or why not try FreeBSD? (culture shock time..doesn't even automagically install a desktop..lovely!)

That's my lot...outta here before I get involved.. good luck and happy hunting. You might find me on IRC at night...or if somebody is really, really nice to me I may just lurk in the linux forums again..seems like most everybody else left.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  6. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

there is another distro that is reasonably user friendly, SUSE. i know you have had a look at it jan and i ran it for a while until i startd playing with Debian Sarge, i may go back to it if i ever get this pc of mine sorted out, triple boot(!)- XP with SUSE and Deb

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

i am very impressed with the remastered suse distro.. Most every bug has been cured now. It's just a little on the bloatware side for my liking and installs heaps of stuff most of us will never use. That's not a criticism of suse..more a general comment about taking up space with unnecessary apps and loading a lot of them at startup. We don't all have cpu cycles to burn and ram coming out of our ears. My winter project looks like a LFS project specifically for low memory p3 series machines.. Kind of like puppy, but with gnome instead of xcfe.

Suse is excellently newbie friendly, with good help forums to boot (unlike a few of the large distros I could mention) Most applications seem to be in the repositories and work first time. They seem to be further along towards a stable release of the next-gen than most.
    The only reason I don't like it is basically..unfamiliarity with the packages, and I'm not keen on the menu layout with kde.. suse doesn't work well with gnome.

8. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

I respect people who are really good with Linux, because it's not an easy OS for someone accustomed to Windoze. Windoze withholds you certain things that Linux makes readily available. Getting "under the hood" in Windows could require an MCSE degree status of knowledge! If you are reasonably intelligent, tweaking Linux at the lowest levels is actually not difficult.

What I fail to understand is why hasn't any Linux company made a video guide, like a few DVDs worth, that describe how to use Linux in depth. If someone made such a guide, I would buy it in a heartbeat. You can buy lots of how-to Windows DVDs, but most of their OS stuff is either waaay over an average person's head, or a rehash of an average user's basic knowledge. A Linux How-To guide makes perfect sense. Someone just needs the b*lls to make one.

9. creaky

Linux being difficult is a mis-conception in the creakster's humble opinion. If you ask me the hardest thing about Linux is the sheer amount of stuff to choose from out there, plus the sheer amount of info out there surrounding Linux. I couldn't give a kipper about most of the distro's/info re Linux itself, (like most things computer-wise ie not just Linux) i only learn as much as i need to as i go along.

I got into PC's back (heavily) with the '286', which was around the time i left school to start working with Mainframes (i started out as a Computer Operator doing shifts running 'Batch Work' overnight, showing my age now!). Some years later i got married/kids and got a life ie stopped messing with computers as much but like most people i guess, i got back into computers again and when i needed a new job/career i looked around for something/anything new. I was lucky to be offered to learn Unix (Solaris) and admittedly the first year or so was hard going, but then it got a lot easier and around that time i was asked to setup our firm's first Linux machine (any Linux, i was simply asked to go to the local shop and buy whatever i thought would do the job (as opposed to downloading ISO's i mean, boss wanted me to 'buy' something in a box so we'd have some phone support if needed). The most appealing thing on the shelf was Mandrake 8.1 Powerpack edition. So i set that up on an old Compaq PC (P3 800Mhz if i recall correctly, some 5yrs ago) and we had a database guy install an Oracle
    database and the system was used in Production by our Call Centre for just over a year (that first build stayed up and available it's whole time since i first handed it over to the database guy).

Anyways i tinkered with Mandrake (now known as Mandriva) and various other distro's over the years, even had 3 or 4 spare PC's on my desk for different distro's,i even tried out Solaris for Intel which was very nice & stable but plain ie no different to using a Unix workstation or server, but i always concentrated on Mandrake/Mandriva as my fave & fun/most interesting distro.
    Previous to this my only experience with Unix/Linux/Linux-type distro's prior to this was to use FreeBSD - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD a little bit back some 16yrs ago or so and after i'd figured out how to configure the kernel i had no actual use for FreeBSD so ditched it.

Anyways, my long post is to illustrate that (in my opinion) i don't honestly think Linux is as complicated as people think it is. Like most things it's as complex as you make it. When i first started with Mandrake i was always messing about in the /opt or /var filesystems or whatever, wondering what it was all about, then eventually i stopped worrying about what was in those different filesystems and found Linux itself is actually quite straightforward. Admittedly i've used computers like forever but it all depends how much you want or need to know.

Just remembered, i was sent on a 3day Linux course once (which i objected to as i felt it was a waste of money to send me when they should have sent a 'Windows' person in my opinion) but i gave in and went, and surprise, surprise, i learnt i think it was 2 tiny things that i didn't already know.

So, i'm out of breath now, hope some of that made sense and helps a little..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

WOW..a huge post there creakster..

Just reporting that I spent most of yesterday "curing" my housemates deseased xp machine.. additional toolbars, buttons and lots of malware (as usual). Isn't there a lot of spyware on myspace pages? Nasty waste of bandwidth.....
    I don't mind doing it every 2 weeks or so, never hurts to keep the hand in so to speak.. It's the biggest failing of linux.. no malware to keep us busy all day, and make us format and reinstall every 3 months.. XP really is clunky and basic isn't it..so retro as to be almost unusable..and what's with the single workspace..even slackware2 had 4 desktops... back in 94?

As for linux howto guides.. It's what the internet is full of.. linux guides, help pages and info for tweaking source code to do what you want it to.. Afterdawn isn't big enough to even deal with the basics (the beginners guide to unix runs to 4000 pages! That's just the kernal and console).
    As no 2 linux machines are the same it's impossible to be more than general, and we have a culture of at least trying to solve a problem before asking for help.

http://old.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Help/get_started/begidx.html

http://apps.carleton.ca/ccs/gen/howto/unix/unix.asp

http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/tutorials/li-comref/

see what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006
  11. creaky

yup, every once in a while i find the need to write a long post :)

i'm certainly no linux advocate by any stretch of the imagination but sometimes i feel the need to get a little vocal on the subject. At the end of the day if i can teach myself this stuff anyone can, that's my motto :p

12. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Agreed.. It's not for everybody. BUT.. if you are at all interested in what your hardware is doing, and how things work it's the best fun (and the most annoying, stupid, hair pulling out, GRRRRR!! success satisfaction time) you can have for the price of some electric to run 5 year old hardware on.
    Me.. I just like playing, and I can't wait to dig out another old 12" monitor tomorrow and get back to QNX fun..

I broke the windoze habit for my desktop..no more drm and other such garbage for me... Control is Mine!! I can do everything windoze fanboys can do..without running wine for windoze apps...without a gig of ram or a 2 gig cpu!! (though that would be nice..anybody feeling generous?) Mwahahahahaha...

To Mr Gates...you own microsoft! you do not own the internet, the film and music companies, the hardware makers (though it seems intel are in your pocket) my computer, or the electricity I use..so BUTT OUT!!

Justr a thought..huge monopolies that behave in an anti-competition way like M$ and Intel will fall apart hard one day..and then where will all the spoonfed one click wonders be?.. Yup.. Knocking on our doors begging us to teach them how to use a keyboard, and what a basic command line is.. I remember having to type "win" to start windows 3.1..not my first experience with pretty graphics on a computer..can't remember what the desktop was called, but there was a lovely Berkley unix GUI back about 82 that was multitasking and for the day really fast. The windows spun away on close..now what was it called...

13. whompus

whompus Active member

Sounds like you may be talking about svr4. There actually where a few spunout around that time. SGI developed Irix, IBM developed AIX, and Hewlett Packard built HP/UX. Each had its own graphics and windowing system. There was also sunOS, Sun converted their SunOS into Solaris.
    Sun was being hounded by players like M.I.T and OSF to move on to x-windows. Sun forced the issue with their Network File System. Then in the later 80s it all broke loose.

If you can believe it, I still have my original Big Bill's 1.01 that could only be picked up in Seattle back then.

14. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

Linux is a great OS, built on the greatest of them all (UNIX). Windows users are all spoonfed & naive into thinking that Bill Gate$$$ has their best intentions in mind. Only open source can be secure & free from malware/spyware & FB1 backdoors. Someday, if some terrible world event were to take place over the Internet, it would either be initiated by or against Windows computers. UNIX/Linux is just too reliable & better programmed to be compromised like Windows. After all, MACs are also Linux-based thanks to Steve Jobs :)

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Now, i might be a big linux enthusiast, but i have to step in here.
    In the end, linux has just as much security issues as windows.
    Wanna know why?
    BECAUSE PEOPLE GET LAZY.
    Your setup is only as secure as you make it, and since a lot of people only do half @ssed jobs on their security, there's always a way to get in.
    Not to mention there's always someone smarter than you who will find ways to break your software, or to make it do things it shouldn't *exploits, stack overflows, buffer overflows*.

And as for Steve Jobs, he's currently up there on #2 on the list of uptight MPAA and RIAA buttboys, right behind Billygoat Gates, with his DRM schemes, and his bullsh*t attitude.
    Linus Torvalds FTW !

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

That's my issue exactly with the distros.. I can find out, at least a pretty close guess what OS is running on a computer connected to the internet. As the distro's all tend to set up in the same way that's a security issue for starters. I have always done things a little differentlt, but 100% security is impossible, the best you can hope for is to make things just too hard for your average script kiddie who will go and find an easier target. A determined and malicious hacker will get in eventually no matter what you do.

17. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Just thought id add to this thread

Ive been looking at linux distros for a while. I never run live cds. Just dont like them which tbh is a really big mistake but hey!

Well ive been looking for ages and ages for a linux that supports well wireless internet. And i went through soo many linux distros such as:

Suse
    Ubuntu
    Puppy
    Fedora

All of them didnt work. Thats when of thise forum someone told me about mint linux. Which is a modded ubuntu. It has an embedded programme in it called mintwifi which sorted me out straight away!

And all i can say is once youve got linux working with the internet you can kiss your windows goodbye!!

Mint linux for ever! hehe

Lecsiy

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thank you all, for your input and advice.

i spent a couple of weeks playing with live cds (i think i have about 40 disks now) and have installed a couple of distros on an old harddrive to realy try and get my head around them (still baffles me but im getting better, i think :)).

i have finaly plummed for mandriva.

thing is i now want to put my old hdd in my sons pc (xp based as its what he uses at school) as a data drive but cant format it, can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  19. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Installing a drive in an xp based machine. I bet you downloaded damn small linux in your travels as a live cd..

Put the spare drive in the case with a cd drive and boot..

when to get to the boot prompt type

dsl 2

and wait..
    at the next prompt type

cfdisk

then follow the menu at the bottom..make one large primary partition (if it's going to be a data drive..if it's for an XP os you need really 2..one about 20 gig and all the rest as another) you will need to delete the existing linux partitions first.. format both NTFS and write changes..
    Exit the program and put the drive in the xp build machine.. there you go..done with no tears and no pain.

20. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

i couldn't make up my mind on Linux but a weird thing happened a few days ago...
    ...i registered for college (again) don't ask my age!! o_O

I'm going to buy a MAC. Right now picking out a good system, then the $100 educational discount through Apple & have it shipped to a state that doesn't have an Apple store (sales tax). I'll probably drop a little over a grand but save the $70 in sales tax. Since Mac OSX (or maybe it was 9?) going forward, the OS has been based on Steve Jobs' old company NextStep. Which of course is UNIX.
    So one way or another, i'll be getting into using Linux pretty darn soon. Funny how life works sometime :D