1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

musepack

Discussion in 'Audio' started by p0wder, Jun 27, 2002.

1. p0wder

p0wder Guest

I was reading another thread in here conscerning musepack so I decided to give it a try. I have been making some .wav's and .mp3's to compare the .mpc's to, but I have run into some errors on certain files. These are the syntax's I used followed by their errors.

mppenc --standard

WARNING:
    There occured 9 internal clippings due to a restriction of StreamVersion 7. Re-encode with '--scale 0.945', or use option '--xlevel', which normally can handle this situation but don't work well with old decoders.

mppenc --standard --xlevel

WARNING:
    There still occured 1 SCF clippings due to a restriction of StreamVersion 7. Use the '--scale' method to avoid distortions.

mppenc --standard --scale 0.945

no errors

Can anyone kindly explain these? :)

2. kdo

kdo Member

Hi!

Yep, it is a known thing. It may happen when the original audio is badly clipped (i.e. when the recorded audio was made so much louder that its max amplitude exceeded the cd limit of 32767 and so it was clipped).

In such case, due to certain format limitations, the current mpc "stream version" SV7 will produce "internal clipping" error. (It may be or may not be actually audiable.) The --scale switch scales the input wav to resolve the problem.

There will be no more "internal clipping" errors in the upcoming mpc SV8. (maybe later this year...who knows...)

P.S. --xlevel switch is obsolete and not recommended.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2002
  3. p0wder

p0wder Guest

cool thanks a lot :)