1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what burner should I buy? replacing BenQ 1650

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by EDM317, Nov 24, 2006.

1. EDM317

EDM317 Member

Hi Everyone. Well, my burner finally died out on me. I had a BenQ 1650 and I've had it since April. I was pretty happy with it. Now I have to find a replacement for it. Can anyone give me a few suggestions? I will probably buy from Newegg again. Maybe something in the $30-35 range. Thanks.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi EDM317
    Look at the LiteOn's at newegg. Definitely in that price range.
    Great drives.

The BenQ is a good drive - I would have thought it would have lasted more than 6 months. Usually last longer than that. Should still be under the manufacturers warranty too.

3. EDM317

EDM317 Member

Thanks for the reply. I did ALOT of burning with the BenQ, I'm guessing thats why it only lasted 6 months. And it still lasted longer than my previous drive, which actually was a LiteOn. :)

4. binkie7

lol - you must really do alot of burning to burn those 2 drives out!

I'd still look at the LiteOn again :) 1000+ on an older model and still burns (though days may be numbered) - newer model I bought a few months back is doing well after a few hundred.

There's always Plextor - but much more $. Pioneer & NEC are good too but I still prefer the LiteOn's cause of smartburn and booktyping.

5. barcia99

barcia99 Member

@binkie7 just wondering, today I picked up a i/o magic dvd burner at staples and it's manufactured by LG. it is super writer model:GSA-H10N. payed 19.95.http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=287. this is what i have read. just wondering what you thought

6. binkie7

@barcia99
    I think you got a helluva of a deal there! At that price & a good manufacturer what's not to like :)
    Never used a LG but others members here do and they have a good rep.
    I think you'll be good.

7. barcia99

barcia99 Member

binkie7, thanks for the reply. i only use liteon so i wasn,t sure. last year i bought the i/o magic burner for the same price at staples and it was manufactured by liteon (160P6S) excellent deal i thought. well thank you again and have a great holiday. mike

8. binkie7

Have a great holiday too mike!

You definitely had another good deal last year - I have the same LiteOn but paid more for it. With my luck I'd pick up an i/o magic and get an emprex burner :)

9. h8xor

h8xor Member

Hey, hope I didn't show up too late, but try out the NEC drives, I have had Great experience with them, and they are usually low price. Try Giving it a shot.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

with the Benq DW1650 being a rare beast now i'm digging up a few Benq threads to shout out to any UK readers that PC World are still selling these drives, but now at £25, so i bought 2 today to keep unopened as spare drives. get them while you can i say..

11. pollution

pollution Regular member

My Sony DRU-710A burner just broke? It will just keep the red light on the drive on when the computer boots up and the drawer will not open. It did end up working once again but started again showing a solid red light. Is it broke? Bye Bye Sony! :) I feel like an idiot for purchasing it instead of BenQ as I had a choice between the two but Nero came with the Sony drive, oh how I sell out so cheap. I am anti Sony now.

I have the LG 4480B dvd combo drive as my cd burner since March 2003 and it has performed well and still strong as new so I am thinking of going with a LG DVD burner but not sure which one but probably the last. The first two are just different colors and the last is out of stock but I can wait since there is this Lite-On burner in the house on another computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136102
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136103
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136100

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Plextor would be my first choice then Lite-On

13. pollution

pollution Regular member

Plextor is a little too expensive. I have had really great experience with my LG. I am still open to buying a Plextor but can you show my why a Plextor? What does it have LG does not?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  14. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I might be wrong [ never been before! ] but i think Newegg has an in house RMA on the Benq 1650 for 1 year if they can't repair they send a new comparable drive like the Lite on. I know they do on the Lite on cause about a month ago I RMA'd the litey Rom and burner that I'd bought 6 months before they fixed the rom and sent me a brand new updated Litey burner.I think they had the same warrantys on the 1650's when I bought them. Chris

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- my Sony DRU-700A lasted about a year before giving up the ghost so i gave up on Sony's for a while. Then i bought 2 Lite-on 1693S's (which were rebadged Sony DRU-800A's) which played up from new, so they were got rid of. Then i had an LG 4163B which played up after a while, as did one or i think two LG 4167B's (almost straight away from purchase) so i now avoid LG. Then came the Benq DW1650's and I use 2 of these a lot daily and they're proving their weight in gold after a lot of use/abuse, and i have 3 brand new 1650's as spare 'just in case' drives.

As you know, i have the same LG 4480B drive from about 2003 too, and it's still going strong despite having chomped (ie ripped) thru many 1000's of dvd's and burnt 1000s of cd's, and is still used heavily each day.. Other than those comments i don't know what to suggest for new burners other than the Benq 1650 as i'm a bit behind on the very latest burners out there..

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

None of my benqs will die!! I only use them for burning,no ripping. Ripping will put all the wear and tear on a drive.

Well over 3500+ backups,100+ OTF,and avg 1 coaster per 400 burns from my original 2 yr old 1620. She's still holding strong.

Anyone wanting any Benq drives,the links are in this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/443162

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. pollution

pollution Regular member

Just ordered the Benq 1650 from ZipZoomFly. Figured I would go this way with so many people happy with them and only this one thread I have seen on it breaking. Plus I may not be able to get one later but the new LG's will still be for sale.

Thanks for the link saugmon

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I got a PX-716A,used,off of Ebay. For a new 716A,$140+?

An awesome,smooth,and quiet drive. I'd still go with the Benq 1640 and then the 1650 for the $36. I can't tell a difference between their booktyped backups. These are all high quality drives.