1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Oriphus, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What soccer teams do you support?
    Who are your favourite players?

Put all your football (soccer) related info in here till we get a look at the range of soccer fans and their teams on afterdawn

[​IMG]
    Im a Massive Man Utd fan. Just found out that we have been beating to the signing of Ronaldinho by those pricks in Spain, Barcelona. PSG shouldve have gotten their act together instead of turning the transfer into a complete farce. Also, im not happy that the PLC didnt make more of an effort to sign the player. His style would have added a lot to the team.

Kleberson is hopefully on his way, and i hope Damian Duff will follow too. The irish man is an amazing player. I still hope that Patrick Klievert is still a possibility. We need to sign some one big now to keep the fans happy. A striker or attacking midfielder is needed.

Oh, I also support Juventus in the Italian league, Real betis in the spanish (i love Denilson) and River Plate in Argentina.

Chris

2. aqsg72

aqsg72 Guest

Liverpool Fan here. Harry Kewell seems like an excellent signing for us, he hasn't performed brilliantly in the pre-season matches since he's been here but he is the ideal player we've been looking for.

btw, we're gonna kick your ass this season Manchester United [no hard feelings, eh?!]:)

In the Serie A I support Lazio, who despite having sold some of their best players last season (Alessandro Nesta and Hernan Crespo come to mind) came a respectable 4th and despite having severe revenue problems.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Nesta and in particular Crespo, were amazing.

LIVERPOOL????? Oh no, please God no. lol
    We'll have to keep it a weekly ritual now whenever the football season is bak on the 17th August. Harry Kewell was a good signing, bet your worried after he wlked off injured! Im very pissed off about Ronaldinho, im hoping that we can entice the great Raul (one of the best players in the world) to come to Manchester as he said tht he wasnt interested in signing a new contract at Real Madrid.

We are going to do THE trebble. Hope you do well in the Champions League this year. What?? Whats that you say?? You're not in the Champions League?? No....Seriously?? Aw...poor Liverpool, dominates late 70's and 80's and has gone down hill since. Well don on winning the worthless, sorry worthington cup this year.

Incase anyone thinks im being nasty again, its a bit of friendly fun ;-)

4. aqsg72

aqsg72 Guest

Yes, however that cup would not have been worthless had you beaten us :p

Perhaps however we should leave the 'we're gonna win' talk till the season actually commences?!

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

We'll put a $1 bet on, payable through paypal. If ManUtd finish higher in the league than liverpool, you pay me a dollar next year, vice versa for liverpool. You may as well pay me now lol, cuz there aint a hope in hell of Liverpool beating us.

:p

6. aqsg72

aqsg72 Guest

Complacency complacency, this is gonna be an open season I guarantee it, but I would much rather bet upon the outcome of the head-to-head Liverpool-Man Utd games, since you know you won't win them :p

Could use some more people in this conversation, this Man U - Liverpool fight is getting tiresome :)

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sure is, im expecting Chelsea to play a big part in it. With the amount of money they are spending, they are making all the players prices go up. Its going to be another transfer season of high high prices.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

United have beaten Celtic 4-0 in US and are now on their way to beat Club America tonight. We hopefully will get juaquin from real betis and Raul from Real Madrid, and then we are going to win the FA premier league, the FA cup, and the Champions league. We may also win the worthless cup just to piss off liverpool.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Man Utd beat club America from Mexico today. Yeeha. Van nistleroy scored as did Diego Folan - twice. What a team

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was kind of a fan of Germany's football (american soccer) team. but havn't followed in years. Canadian team sucks, but have actuall won a few games. Have to see if they can improve to the top 20 this year. I think are around 34 in world rankings.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

My good old ireland around 12th at the min, YEEHAA

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Boy was I off on guessing the Mens rank. The Canadian Woman's team is not bad at 12th but that is out of 16 teams. The mens team was placed 78th by FIFA. Canada still does suck, but the USA looks to be improving.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You will probably find USA getting better at it now that the big tour has stirred interest this season, especially since their keeper will now be playing at Old Trafford (Man Utd) the best football team in the world!!

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What a performance by Man Utd tonight at the Giants Stadium in New York. It was a sell out 80,000 crowd, bigger than any other crowd in that stadium ever, even for Giants major games. Just goes to show you how big and well known Man Utd are even in the USA.

Man Utd 4 - 1 Juventus

Great match, unbelieveable tempo set by united making you believe they have never been away at all. Tim Howards debut was excellent. In my opinion, one of the best players ever to come out of America, better even than Brad Friedel. He et one in but he was on-sighted by his defense. It was a truly marvelous performance by him and i hope he starts against Barcelona on Sunday, though Roy Carroll is very good too.

Then you've got the likes of the solid and amazing skills of Van Nistelroy. A very quick turn after an excellent cross enabling a powerful shot into the back off the net. Ole Gunner Solksjaer had an amazing shot at goal also along with Paul Scholes. Poor Diego Forlan's goal scoring chances and misses are ongoing for seemingly forever. He atually missed an open net from yards out.

I have to say, i wasnt too impressed with the American referee, i think he has yet to learn the art of refereeing properly, but i suppose he only has major league soccer to dwell over and the possibility of confederations cup.

All on all, United are set for 4 consequitive victories when they meet Barcelona on Sunday. Expect more of the same from the champion red devils, pride of the world. I just hope this continues throughout the coming season and especially when i am at Old Trafford watching them beat Arsenal by a load of goals on the 20th September 2004.

Come on united

[​IMG]

15. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

REAL MADRID are gonna kick all your asses in the Champions League.

Carlos
    Zidane
    Figo
    Beckham
    Ronaldo
    Raul

Harry Kewell is overrated. How long has he been in the Premier League and how many goals does he have to his name. For a striker a hit rate of 25% is not exactly quality. The day Houlier chose Heskey over Fowler was the day Liverpool went dire.

Man Utd will win the premier league no problem, they will get there ass kicked by Madrid In Champions League. Duff has gone to Chelsea so Man Utd have purchased no quality player this year. Ronaldinho chose crappy Barcelona (Not even in Champs League) over United that's an insult of epic proportions.

Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Chelsea

Top 3 in UK

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Um...Tim Howard, Djemba Djemba, Bellion, maybe Kleberson, maybe Raul. I dont see Real happening. We are so going to slaughter you. Even my Real Betis will destroy you ;-)

17. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Real Betis?

Isn't that the team that paid a ridiculous amount of money on a player called Denilson. And Denilson does't he have a permanent position on the bench during all of the World Cups?

[​IMG]

;0)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2003
  18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Denilson is without doubt the most skillful player in the spanish league. Every tema that plays against Real Betis doubles up on defenders whenever Denilson comes running in. He is so skillful, people can never get the ball of him and end up fownling him. He is the player with the most free kicks in his favour in the whole season. he didnt get on for world cups because he and Scalero had a bit of a fall out.

Real Madrid, isnt that the team that buys all the really expensive players?

19. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Real Madrid is the team that buy all the best quality players who cost more that the average cheap ones.

Funny how Man Utd are supposed to be the highest profit making club in the World yet they never buy the best.

1. Rivaldo wanted to go Man Utd, Man Utd were to tight to buy him.
    2. Figo wanted to play for Man Utd, United tight again.
    3. Even Ronaldo talked about possibly joining Man Utd which again the stingy tight asses at the Man Utd board refused to pay for such quality.

If Man Utd want to win the the Champions League they must spend, and I mean really spend, not buy all these shitty little no-name players. If Man Utd buy Kluivert I may respect them a little more.

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Kluivert or Raul possibly.

The reason United dont spend on those players is that they feel they are not worth that amount of money. They are right. They were only narrowly put out by Real Madrid in the champions League, and the second match at ld trafford, we look the far better team. We need another striker with the Calibre of Van Nistleroy to compliment our team.

Talking about spendin, we bought the most expensive defender and bought Veron and Van Nistelroy. 3 players for nearly £100million. that is spending!! We are the biggest club in the world financially. I dont think we need to worry about that with BskyB being a major shareholder ni the club.

Roll out the new season. I hope we get to play Real Madrid in champions League. I would love to see a match against Beckham, just to see what it is like. And, tonight we play Barcelona with Ronaldinho playing. We'll show him what he missed coming too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.