1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing amarok-1.4.4.tar.bz2

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Eskimo1, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Eskimo1

Eskimo1 Member

installing a linux program from the command line interface is always fun when your a windows person...

i have unzpped the package by typing :
    tar -jxvf filename.bz2

after doing so typing ls displays the unzipped file :
    amarok-1.4.4

according to a web site (http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/tarball.html) the next step is to type the following:

./configure
    make
    make install
    make clean

./configure works and does what is supposed to... how ever when i type make i get the following message :
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

and skipping to the next step gives this message :
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

am i doing something wrong? if so what and if not what is my next step seeing as how the web site neglected to mention this possible error.

btw i am running fedora core 5

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It's not executable.. try chmod a+x <filename> from in the folder.

3. Eskimo1

Eskimo1 Member

the amarok-1.4.4 is a directory... what file inside of it do i make executable? the INSTALL?

4. Eskimo1

Eskimo1 Member

Well I made it executable and it still has yet to work.
    I did how ever find out a command that will from the command line retrieve the file and download/install it and all of its dependencies.

yum install amarok*

I did that and it worked I can now play music... but I am looking for a movie player as well I have real player, VLC and mplayer installed on my computer now but unfortunately it will not play DVD’s (I tired x-men the last stand)

Does any one know of a universal movie player that will play store bought DVDs as well as downloaded movie clips (off youtube.com)... I was told VLC is as universal as it gets; perhaps I’m doing something wrong...

The only thing I can think is maybe I was supposed to prepare it some how before I play it such as mount but with fc5 I don’t have to mount the DVD because once I put it in it does it automatically...

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hmm..auto installing always depends on the distro you are using.

Suse..gentoo and a few others use synaptic, and the debian built use aptitude for package management.

With amarok (which I'll be honest and admit I have never heard of) you need to have a good look in the app folder and see what you have in the way of scripts. It may be a binary, or it may be a heap of files with names like configure..make...install and a few data folders.

Heres a link to a pretty basic guide.. sorry if it's too basic, but never hurts to review the core skills from time to time.

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/install.shtml

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've not had much luck with amarok myself (i've used it but it always crashes for me) so i stick to the other various players..

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

mplayer is very good..It's a pain to set up..but so far has played everthing I have thrown at it... It's in the repositories too (big advantage)

edit Sorry..the previous link was to the wrong page...don't know how that happened..try this one instead.

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/consult.shtml

8. creaky

yeah i use mplayer, totem, xine, anything really, some stuff doesn't work in one player so i just use another player, lazy but it works for me :p

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

mplayer is an essential for converting dvd's. That's how I came across it in the first place. Make sure to add the launch script to the scripts folder. It's a pain to launch from the terminal.

10. creaky

haven't ventured near any DVD stuff with Linux yet, hate to say it but Windows has me sorted in that respect (for now)

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Essential linux tools for dvd handling.. mplayer, lsdvd, avidemux and transcode. don't forget dvd-author and mkisofs. This is the basic list..you can dress it up with other things, but for a straight copy these will do just fine.

Can you post a link to exactly the download you have. Then I can have a go and work it out for you...

12. Eskimo1

Eskimo1 Member

Yeah I got amarok installed.. its great and it played everything I have tryed so far..

Mplayer how ever I put in my dvd of x-men the last stand and once it appeared on my desktop I right clicked and opened with mplayer... it loaded like it should but before dvd would play I got the following error message :

SEEK FAILED!

Not exactly sure what to do...

I tried another dvd (both store bought) just to make sure and same error...

When I bring Mplayer up through GUI or Command line it opens correct and everything is fine... just when I try to play a dvd via right clicking or through file -> open movie, it fails to work with the same error of :

SEEK FAILED!

Any suggestions?

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

it's not finding your dvd drive. I can't help further because system configs vary (my drives are scsi emulated). Check out the mplayer homepage for details of the dvd path statement you need to add to the script.

That's the joy of linux...no two systems are alike.