1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. loxdox

loxdox Member

Just got the player, played a few avi's and mpegs I had, one it didnt. Im still learning how to re-encode. I have a MAC so it has been a lot of reading and not much finding. I do have ffmpegx but so far it didnt work. Very happy I got it online at COMPUSA for $50 plus $20 for a 3 year warranty.

I have Toast 7 and NTI Dragon and ffmpegx. What else is good to use? Lastly what is the current firmware? I saw that 1109 is mentioned and on the web but I thought when I checked it said 12 something. I did this

Press “ OPEN/CLOSE” to open the disc tray.
    Press “ 5 6 9” “OK” button on the remote control.
    The software version (VERxxxx) and model (6xx/xx) will appear at the top of the TV screen

Then it mentioned 12 something is that possible?

2. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Hello drosoph

The garbled video sounds like customer MPEG matrix encode. The easy trick here is to hit the system button on the remote twice and it should clear up.

Another good utility to use is the Mpeg4 modifier, it will tell you alot about the avi's. Also search around for Lisa B. article on compatibility with divx players. You should be able to find it when googled. It's a great document to have as a 642 owner.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Lisa B. article..is right here!!I Pasted it here back awhile ago.Just search back by the pages you'll find it

4. pinkygirl

pinkygirl Member

OK Helpppppppppppp i have this player and tried to burn xvid as data with nero. I was told to burn as slow as possible. when i went toplay it it started and then stopped and that was it..... so what is the correct way to burn xvid to cdr ?

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ pinkygirl..U are doing it right..Is this the first Xvid U have done or is it the first Xvid U have had a problem with..Either way I strongly recomend that U use DVD RW's to test your movie first,this way U won't HAVE AS MANY bad Discs.I prefer the DVD RW over the CD RW..AS U can use these for movies..or put 4 or 5 Xvids on 1 Disc.Whats the name of the movie?Maybe we can narrow your problem down.Have U used G Spot to see if the Xvid contains QPEL or GMC.If these are present your movie won't play

6. _Crusader

_Crusader Member

I really want to buy this DVD player. I have looked at Best Buy, Circuit City and Walmart for this DVD player. Why is it that Walmart sells this DVD player and their description says that it plays DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW with everything else. But Best Buy, Circuit City and Philips web page say it only support DVD+R/RW? I use DVD-R/RW and would like it to be able to use this media. I have read this forum and there are a few people that say their DVP642/37 plays DVD-R/RW just fine.

Any help would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Crusader

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ Crusader..The player will play all + & -

8. _Crusader

_Crusader Member

Awesome!! I said screw it and went Best Buy and read right on the label that it would play all DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW!! They need to fix their web sites. So, I am extremely happy cannot wait to get home from work and try out this sucker.

Thanks,

Crusader

9. eyeofnewt

eyeofnewt Member

Let us know how well your player fares. I had to ship mine back because it had a hell of a time with TDK DVD+RWs and isn't too great with DVD-Rs either. I had to open and close the tray about 30 times for the menu to even register.

10. loxdox

loxdox Member

Any good MAC utilities?

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ loxdox..Don't know about Mac..look around here in Afterdawn..Checkout all forums ..just be patient somebody will get back to U

12. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello,
    Following Rick's advice I installed VirtualDub 1.6.11. When I tried to convert 700 mb avi, I ran out of space. The program tried to cenvert it to 44Gb file. I have checked forums on the VirtualDub but have not been able to find any helpful guide.
    I would be happy if someone help me with the link to the guide?
    Roma

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello..yromashin..What in the holy Hanna were U a doin..this is what U should have done..don't really remember suggesting to U what to do or for what reason..you'LL have to refresh me on that.But anyway try this it makes no size change in your AVI's

the audio was probably not made carefully enough...
    The quick & easy fix is to re-interleave your AVI, using: probably NanDub would be best
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ndub/nandub-binary-1.0rc2.rar
    You need to set both audio and video to 'DIRECT STREAM COPY'.
    Then use Save as AVI [F7]..under FILE to save your new AVI..on a diff drive or diff file on same drive
    BELOW IS A METHOD FOR OUT OF SYNC AUDIO & VIDEO
    You cannot SLOW the AUDIO down, instead you must increase or decrease the video framerate.
    For example, if it is standard 23.976 you could change it to 23.984
    There will be a recommended framerate listed, which will allow the audio and the video to finish
    at the same time (which is what you want :)
    But trial & error is the only sure way...
    Ideally you will read the AVI from one drive, and write the new file to another.
    If you have only one HD, try to read from one partition and write to another.
    If you have only one partition, make sure you don't overwrite any files - make a different (destination)
    folder.
    By manipulating video framerate and advancing or retarding the start of the audio, there is no
    messed-up AVI that cannot be fixed, or at least made more watchable.

.NET Framework

The only thing the DVP642 doesn't like about XviD is if QPEL and GMC are on. But in the GSpot
    picture, they're off.
    BTW, that's how you would get XviD that doesn't work on the DVP642 to work again: you would need to use VirtualDub ->
    ->FullProcessingMode and re-encode the XviD to XviD w/o QPEL and GMC

Like I said you'LLhave to refresh me on what exactly U were doing

14. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  15. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Rick,
    As you said a few pages back, your memory is not good any longer. That is why I remind you what you wrote:

3. January 2006 @ 20:29
    Hello drosoph
    3) I am having a hard time getting XviD videos to play. They play fine w/ video and audio, but the video is so garbled, it’s useless.
    ANSWER 3:Where did U get the video ? Some Video U D/L is crap..Some needs to be run through NanDub

I believe you advise everybody who reads the forum.

Well, let’s get back to details.
    I got an avi movie with a perfect AV sinc. When I ran GSpot (great program, I got it because of this forum; I still like AVICodec, but it has its limitations), I got QPEL and BVOP for XviD. That explained whey it did not play on my DVD player. I decided to use VirtualDub mentioned in this forum many times by many members including you, Rick. However, my search for a guide did not bring any good results. No comprehensive guide at all! I could not have believed it! My first attempt to use VirtualDub gave me 46 GB file (I certainly stopped it). I knew that something had to be changed. Today I have tried a number of Codecs under "compression". Not all of them were accepted for processing or gave me large files (4-5 GB). One is working now, giving me 665 MB file. I have to wait 30 min for the result.

However, if someone can advise me on the guide or how to use the VirtualDub that would be great, for I am sure it will help me with a few XviDs I have. Like others I do not like problem I can not fix.

Rick!
    Thank you for repeating your guide. I read it before. If you explain in more details how to do "you would need to use VirtualDub ->
    ->FullProcessingMode and re-encode the XviD to XviD w/o QPEL and GMC" it will be of a great help.

Roma

16. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello mhudson7,
    Thank you for the link. I will try it right away.
    Roma

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello..yromashin..OK Sorry about that,this should be what U are looking for

From..arag0rn
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/165637

For those of you who have this player, and want to re-encode your xvid video file to get it to work with the player (b/c QPEL, GMC, Packed Bitstream, NVOP etc... is incompatible with the dvp642):

First get the latest VirtualDubMod (1.5.10) and xvid codec 1.0.3 . Go into VirtualDubMod and apply these settings to your re-encode (assuming you're already familiar with the config. tool for xvid codec):

* Encoded with XVID 1.0.3 codec
    * Set target bitrate 1-Pass to whatever G-SPOT says your original video bitrate is (usally 800-1000kbps)
    * Uncheck: QPEL, AQ, Treillis, GMC
    * MAX consecutive B-VOPS set to 2.00
    Quantizer ratio used: 1.50
    Quantizer offset used: 1.00
    * NO PACKED bitstream
    * Closed GOV checked
    * interlaced encoding off
    * aspect ratio set to SQUARE
    * PROFILE LEVEL AS@L5
    * use MPEG for 2 disc+ encoding and H.263 for single disc encodes
    * Chroma motion set
    * turbo checked :)
    * VHQ varied from 1 - 4
    * MOTION SEARCH PRECISION set to 6
    * MIN/MAX I-B-P quantizers set to 2/31 respectively

Remember, B-VOP should be turned on or else NVOPs will be created, and these (packed bitstreams) will cause your movie to skip in the player.

My average time for a 1.5hr clip is about 50 minutes on my athlon 2.1ghz

Please thank XvidPro over at the Xvid.org forums for coming up with these settings (I added a few notes).

Can't firgure out why U have problems finding Guides..I just go to ask jeeves & in the search I try different phrases such as[how to cut AVI's]how to re-encode avis..& I get multitudes of responses..I sometimes have to use diff wording

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  18. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Rick,
    Thank you for the guide. The link to the guide was posted after your previous message.
    I downloaded XviD Codec 1.1.0 (did not find 1.0.3). I followed the guide, though in new Codec I did not find a few entries. It is working now. If the result is OK, I will post my setting on the forum. Wish me good luck!
    Thank you for the advice on the guides search. I mostly use AfterDawn, for it is sort of a shortcut. You are right, I have to use other search engines when I am stuck. So far, reading different AfterDawn forums I have been lucky to find great guides most of them with pictures and very detailed.
    Roma

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@yromashin..well glad U got it worked out..sorry about not posting sooner..I'VE Really been depressed & kinda out of it lately,but better late then not at all.At least U know their are others who are willing to help also...MAN O MAN this is a great site
    Can't tell ya how much I 'VE GAINED from here.I've even discovered bad help really helps..at least U know not to do that again..Still can't figure out how U got such a large file..I do know that if you capture off of a TV Card in avi the files are bigger then in mpeg,,can't figure that either

20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I've said this countless times before, I had one of these Philips players and got so disgusted with what it wouldn't play and having to reprocess a lot of xvid/divx downloads so they would play. There a lot better choices on the market now as far as xvid/divx capable players go so that this thing is archaic. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006