1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting mvk to dvd

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by tjay17, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

is there a way to convert mkv files to dvd and keep all of the audio and subtitle tracks

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

3. lisa_8023

lisa_8023 Regular member

Maybe v7.7 of WinAVI can help you fix that.
    Good luck

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  4. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

when i tried winavi and i go into the options before i start converting the file it shows the subtitles on the screen but when i convert the file there are no subtitles to be found

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Did you read the link I gave to movie codecs? That should be fine...

6. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

yes and i tried winavi like it said on the link but it didnt work so now ill try tmpeg like it said on the link

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Cool, it's a good program, get back to us :)

8. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

which would be the one to use
    TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0
    TMPGEnc

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'd say Xpress. But just TMPEG would be fine.

10. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

i tried tmpeg and it gave me a mpeg video file but no subtitles and then i tried mkvtool and it saw the subtitles in the file but it couldnt take it out it is for merging into mkvs not splitting mkvs into seperate files still no way to get a file that i can burn to a dvd that has the subtitles

11. evilh0ly

evilh0ly Regular member

try VSO ConvertXtoDVD

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

one of the best and simplest there is.

KEY FEATURES
    * Supported video formats: Convert AVI, Mpeg, Mpeg4, DivX, Xvid, MOV, WMV, WMV HD, DV, MKV, DVD to DVD and more...
    * Supported sources: existing files from digital camcorders, TV/Sat, capture cards
    * Can merge up to 4 hours of material from several movies or episodes
    * Supported audio formats: AC3, DTS, PCM, OGG, MP3, and more...
    * Handles subtitles files (.SRT .SUB/IDX) with color and font selection, and supports tags (italic, bold)
    * Video format choice: NTSC, PAL, or automatic and PULL-DOWN
    * Picture output: Widescreen, Fullscreen, or automatic
    * Create Automatic chapters or edit your own
    * Fast preview mode to check if the source is loaded correctly
    * Save the DVD structure on hard drive or burn it to a blank DVD
    * Reliable burn engine integrated (supports all DVD formats)
    * Fast and quality encoder (typically less than 1 hour for converting 1 movie)
    * Variable options and settings for advanced users
    * Control of the conversion speed vs quality
    * DVD Menu control (auto-start, loop etc)
    * DVD Menu edition (background, font, color)
    * Customizable interface (themes, dockable windows)
    * Multilingual support (available languages...)
    * Optimized for Windows 2000 / XP / Vista

12. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

i tried convertxtodvd and it doesnt see the subtitles

13. lisa_8023

lisa_8023 Regular member

Did you adjust aspect ratio for the picture to 99%(both height and width) and changed the Aspect Ratio for 4:3? If not,try that.
    Good luck

14. Fiji5555

Fiji5555 Member

This was posted by me way back in September

AlltoAvi http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/ works good and it's free....I've only converted one mkv file but it went smoothly. Converted it to DivX then used ConvertXtoDVD(which kept giving me errors trying to use it to convert the mkv file)to convert and burn to DVD. I tried the mpeg option in AlltoAvi but that didn't work so I went with the DivX option..........AllToAvi lets you choose one audio and one subtitle track I believe.

15. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

can you please give me painfully spicefic step by step directions to using alltoavi i cant seem to get it to do

16. Fiji5555

Fiji5555 Member

I will presume that you got the program to run and clicked on ADD A FILE in the first screen which then opens a second screen.

Under FILE OPTIONS click on the box to the right of "File" to choose your mkv file to convert and on the box to the right of "Save To" where you want the converted file saved.

Under ENCODING OPTIONS choose "High Quality" for the Video Bitrate AND "Divx5.0" for the codec.

I use "High Quality" for the Audo Bitrate but you can choose "Very High Quality" if you wish. It will make the file larger but how much I do not know.

Under STREAM IN is where you will find what your subtitle and audio language options are for the particular mkv file. For example, the 23 minute file I converted just now had 2-external,1-No Sub and 0-Eng as options for the Subtitle and 2-External,1-No Audio and 0-Jpn as options for the Audio. So in reality the only options for this file was using 0-Eng for the Subtitle and 0-Jpn for the Audio (If I didn't want any audio I would have choosen 1-No Audio but that isn't really what most people would want, watching a silent movie) I haven't tried the External settings so I can only guess that that will let you choose optional subtitle and audio files you wish to import yourself.

Click on ADD TO JOB and you are returned to the first screen again where the file to be converted is listed in the JOB LIST box.

Click on EXECUTE JOB and a Windows command line box will open showing the program starting it's conversion. After a few minutes you will notice that the program seems to have stopped and you see a blinking cursor at the bottom of the screen. DO NOT CLOSE THE SCREEN! The program is still working using the computer's memory. After a few more minutes it will start up again and you will see all sorts of interesting and confusing things being shown but don't be alarmed by any of this, it's normal.
    When the conversion is finished, the screen will close and revert to the first screen. Look in the folder for the converted file which should have an .avi extension now. Play this file to make sure that the correct audio and subtitles are working.
    You can use Convertxtodvd to change this avi to the correct dvd format and burn that to dvd also.
    Good luck and I hope this works for you.......as a side note the first file I converted gave me the options to choose English for both the subtitle and audio so I chose both thinking it would be good for those times the audio got too low to hear comfortably. What I didn't realise was that the English subtitles were translated directly from the original Japanese audio while the English audio was a slightly reworked translation so the two were close but also used quite different translations. It made for an interesting comparison to say the least!

17. tjay17

tjay17 Regular member

thanks it works the audio and the subtitles are a little off time with the video but it converted and thanks