1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multisession Warning problem.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by VOLmaniac, Jul 25, 2003.

1. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

I need some help with a warning I am getting when I try to burn a DVD +R with Nero. It flashes a warning that says I am about to burn a multi-session write once DVD disc. Then it ask to burn anyway or cancel or burn without multi-session.; It also says the burned CD may not play on all DVD players. (FYI, I can use a DVD +RW, and I do not get this message.)

The movie I am trying to burn is to MPG files that I opened in TMPGEnc DVD Author and created the DVD files. Could the two MPG files be my problem? If so, how do I merge/join these two files?

What do I need to do to prevent this problem?

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Never use multisession to burn movies or video. To stop the message appearing cancel the wizard and go to DVD-ROM and tick 'no multisession'. You should navigate to DVD Video to drag and drop the files there before burning assuming you have full Video TS ,vob,bup and ifo files and not just mpeg?

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If you use a multisession, even though the computer's DVD ROM will read it, a standalone will have great difficulty.

4. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

I like to understand why things work the way they work rather than just accept that it is a certain way. Can someone explain what multisession means and what I need to do to burn successful without doing it in multisession mode?

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What a multisession is, is a disc that has/can been/be burnt on to more than once. It creates a sef contained disc within a disc allowing each section to be read as if it were one disc. However, DVD players will not see these multisessions unless they have DVS loaders like the DVD ROM's have. The disc therefore, will not work properly.

6. VOLmaniac

VOLmaniac Member

Thanks Oriphus. So, can I burn onto a DVD + RW in non multisession burning mode and have a good DVD but be unable to rewrite to it in the future; or is a DVD + RW pretty much useless for burning DVD in which you want to play on a stand alone DVD player?

BTW, I have learned a lot (most of what I have learned so far) from your posts and user guides. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Glad i could help you.

Again, its not quite as simple as that. DVD+RW discs are slightly different in their make-up to that of its write once equivalents. Some older DVD players will not read a properly written DVD RW no matter what you do. Other newers ones may not have a problem. I always recommend DVD players with DVS loaders. Normally you are talking £1000+ for the DVS loaders, but Plu2 DVD players with DVS loaders and progressive scanning units built in (double the lines on a TV) sell for less than £100. They are only available in Europe