1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftp Xbox Help :-)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by penguin41, Dec 17, 2006.

1. penguin41

penguin41 Member

I need to ftp my xbox under these circumstances and cant suceed. My computer is connected to my router via a wirless adapter and my xbox is connected via a crossover cable. All the websites say I can now ftp but i cant. I run evo x dashboard and i tried all the configurations people tell me and none work. I really really need it to work in this exact way. please tell me how to make it work.

heres a diagram
    [​IMG]

2. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

your router has nothing at all to do with this your diagram is drawn with the box direct connected to the PC. you just don't have the network configuration setup correctly on the box.

kc

EDIT: I'd just have to guess here but I'd say you haven't configured the second network connection that the box is plugged into on the PC, if you go into your network connections you should have two, one to the network adapter that the router is attached to and one to the adapter the box is plugged into.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  3. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

I seem to be having the exact same problem. Only difference is, my wireless receiver is not a box, it's an Ethernet card plugged into my PCI slot along with an additional hardwire Ethernet cable card plugged into another PCI slot. I have the same dash, same problem. I have 'Xbox Music Mixer' and I was once able to configure it so that I could transfer certain files...but that was after about 5 hours of messing around, and even then, I had to restore my computer just so I could use my Internet again.

The program worked just like an FTP; but now I can't figure anything out! Help is greatly appreciated, and if someone decides to write a good tutorial of this kind of setup, it should, by far, be stickied!

Help Guys!!!

Thanks!

4. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

the word 'box' was used to refer to the XBOX.

when you have two Ethernet adapters, be they built on the MOBO LAN ports or add in Ethernet cards on your PCI bus they have to each be configured as a network connection and if you want to use the one your internet is connected into and the one the box is connected to at the same time (your box to have internet access) you have to bridge those connections.

kc

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  5. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

Ok, bridging the connections wasn't really what I was talking about; but I guess that helps if I ever want to get on line. I was actually talking about the Linksys Wireless Adapter.

Anyways, I read a few more hundred tuts. and found out how to get it FTP'd; so now I'm able to transfer files to my stupid little (little being the key-word) xbox hard-drive.

Either way, thanks for the help...and now that I have mine at an FTP connect, maybe I can help penguin.
    =====================================================================
    Ok penguin, I'm guessing you have your xbox modded (softmod or modchip) because if you don't that would be the first step.

Now you should get FlashFXP.

As far as I can see, you have your setup perfectly fine; although, the router and adapter are not needed for FTP.

One other thing you may want to check on, the cord from your xbox to your computer must be a Crossover Ethernet Cable. To check this, look at the ends of the cord (both in the same position, ex. the plastic tab up, or down on both ends) and examine the colors of the wires inside the plastic tips. These colors should not follow the same pattern as the other end.

In other words, this:[​IMG]

So now, you need to make sure you have everything plugged in correctly, and you may wish to restart your computer, so that it can recognize the new connection.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now I will go into detail on how to set up your xbox with the Evolution-X dashboard.

Start up your xbox, with the CD tray in, and no disk in the tray.

Now on your dash, go to 'System Utils' then 'Settings'

Use the following settings, if these are not set, please do so:
    Network
    -------
    Setup Network: Yes
    Use Static IP: Yes
    IP: 192.168.0.3
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.3
    DNS: 192.168.0.4
    DNS: 192.168.0.5

FTP
    ---
    Enable: Yes
    Password: xbox

Exit
    ----
    Save And Exit (Make sure to do this as others forget, and then the settings that were changed have no affect.)
    Now Hit 'B' to go back to the main menu, then hit 'Reboot'.
    I apologize for jumping around like this, but this is the order in which I did it and have it memorized.

So now, your working on your computer again.

Click on Start>My Network Places>View Wireless Connections

Right-Click on your network card, not the wireless adapter. Click on 'Properties', then in the scroll box; scroll all the way down to the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and double click that.

Click on 'Use the following IP address:' and set the settings as shown below:

IP address: 192.168.0.4
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.0.3

Use the following DNS server address:
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.4
    Alternate DNS server: 192.168.0.5

When your done, click 'ok' twice.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, you go into FlashFXP, and click on Sites>Site Manager or simply press F4.

Site name: Whatever you want
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Port: 21
    Username: xbox
    Password: xbox

Click 'Apply' then 'Connect'.
    ======================================================================
    If it still won't FTP after that, then make sure to restart your computer, so the new IP can take affect. After your computer is started up, click reboot on your Evolution-X Menu.

When the Evolution-X menu comes back up, and if you have your skin set to 'Max Blue' then you should see IP: 192.168.0.3 at the top.

If so, you have a successful connection. Now go to FlashFXP and connect!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Note*
    When using FTP, you cannot use a wireless signal as well. This meaning, that you can only use one network card at a time; however, you will not need to unplug anything to use your Internet, simply stop using FlashFXP.
    ======================================================================
    *Whew* Hope this helps man! If it doesn't, feel free to PM me or whatever.

6. penguin41

penguin41 Member

thanks for the help. it works. thanks a lot

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  7. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

Glad it helped! For future reference, I put this in my tut located here.