1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any sets that accept 1080p through component input?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ChiknLitl, Dec 23, 2006.

1. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I know there has been some discussion regarding the ability of component cables to carry a 1080p signal (which I understand they can do very well). Are there any sets that can ACCEPT 1080p via the component inputs? Many that I have seen only allow up to 1080i.

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

3. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Son-of-a-gun! I wonder if this is this a feature that we are likely to see more of with the newer model sets, rather than just more HDMI inputs. I was beginning to fear that component may go the way of the Do-Do.

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

There aren't too many commercial video sources that will transmit 1080p thru component. The only one I can think of right now is the XBox 360 with newest software update and a 1080p encoded game. The HD-DVD add on won't even allow 1080p thru component - only thru VGA.

5. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

the bogey is correct.

yes, component video cables are capable of doing 1080p just like they are able to do 720p.

problem: as far as i know there are no hd-dvd or blu-ray dvd players (all two of them, three if you count the ps3) that will do 1080p threw the component jacks, only hdmi, aside from the 360 for games. there are two reasons for this:

1. they want everyone to buy new tvs (planned obsolecents)

2. i remeber reading somewhere that it helps them prevent piracy or some shit. the two devices comunicate with each other and verify they are authentic hardware or something. something only an hdmi cable can do cause its digital. dont quote me on that.

in their defence hdmi cables are pretty sweet. it transfers a digital signal so the quality of the cable doesnt matter, the picture will always be the same even if your usuing a 3 dollar hdmi cable you got off ebay direct from china. its also cool that they also transfer the sound and are compatable with 7.1 suround.

of course hdmi cables will also be obsolete when every home thieter product becomes wireless. i personanly am waiting till that time to update all my stuff.

6. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Any idea what it is inside the set/receiver that limits input to 1080i? Is it a wiring issue? Too small a gauge wire for the bandwidth? Or is it a firmware/software issue?

7. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

again dont quote me on this but im pretty sure you will never be able to get an hd-dvd or blu-ray dvd to transfer in 1080p on component cables. im pretty sure all hd-dvd and blu-ray dvd players specificly will not do it, they are made that way for a reason (see above). getting it to transfer would require a hack job on the players firmware, possibly even altering the hardware.

you would have to remove the security calls in the players software that cause the signal to be downgraded to 1080i when it sences your usuing component wires. trust me, component cables are plenty able to transfer 1080p. i think the ps3, like the 360 can transfer 1080p threw component for just games (the ps3 usues the same component wire set as the ps2, pretty cool huh). i am not sure if this is true or not, because no 1080p games exist for the ps3 or the 360 yet. even though the ps3 suposedly can do that, i know for a fact it requires an hdmi cable to veiw blu-ray dvds in full 1080p, in other words a total screw job that just proves they are forcing this wire/tv upgrade on us to view the next generation of dvds in their full quality. i have a 52" wide screen sony back projection tv from like 5 years ago that has several sets of component jacks and is hd upgradable. this tv would be perfectly able to play a 1080p signal if not for the fact that it has no hdmi jack.

why do you ask these things? dont be so concerned about the diference between 1080p and 1080i. it wont make a diference unless your tv is the size of a jumbotron. even the diference between 720p and 1080p is so minute you wont notice it unless your tv is over 50" or something. are you like me and bought a big hd tv a few years ago with no hdmi jack?

bonus tip: if you just wait till blu-ray and hd-dvd readers/burners become cheap for computers im sure there will be a way to make it work, and it will be a lot easier to do than hacking your 600 dollar hd-dvd players firmware ;-) hell by then huge lcds will be just as cheap probably and this wont even be an issue.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  8. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Actually, I'm just curious. I understand HDCP protection measures, etc. I'm not concerned with the types of components that may or may not work with this signal or input. I'm more interested in the actual capacity of the input. What I was wondering was: what is it that limits the component inputs on most sets to 1080i, when component cables can carry 1080p? As dblbogey mentioned, there are sets that accept 1080p through components. Same inputs but different signals allowed. Is it an internal witing issue that won't accept the extra bandwidth, can it be fixed with a software/firmware upgrade, or something else along those lines?

9. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

im pretty sure any component cable can transfer 1080p. if the ancient component cable for the ps2 can do it for the ps3 (as is claimed), im sure they all can. quality of the cable will come into play though with component cables.

i would like to retrack my previous statement about tvs that can play 1080i being able to play 1080p too, because 1080p is twice the bandwidth becaise it scans both ways not just one way.

for a tv to be able to play 1080p it requires a beefier processor, and if it comes with that then the manufacturer probably already knows that the tv needs an hdmi jack to play the 1080p signal because hd dvd plaers only send 1080p this way, unless the tv is only made for computers or ps3s.

some sets aparently will accept 1080p threw component jacks, its the players that are unable to do this. im going to guess that the tvs that can play 1080p threw component will have hdmi jacks too.

although anything is possible if you have the will, now that i think about it modifying a hd or blu ray dvd player to send a 1080p signal over component might be 99.9999999% impossible cause the player is probably only able to process the 1080p data from the disk into a digital signal, wich would only be able to transfer over hdmi. it would be just as easy to get all mad scientist and build your own hd dvd player specificly designed to send 1080p over component (or buy a hd drive for your comp. you would have to write your own software to convert the 1080p data on a hd-dvd into a signal that can be transferd over component. if you can do that, you are the man and must imediantly post your code on afterdawn.

in other words making a hd-dvd player send 1080p over component isnt as simple as "unlokcing" it. it requires adding the ability to convert 1080p data into a signal for the component standard because all they are able to do is convert 1080p into a digital signal(perhaps you could steal this code from xbox or ps3's firmware, since they claim to be able to do this, but from games not hd-dvds).

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  10. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

so far the ps3 has two 1080p games-nba 07 and marvel ultimate alliance

11. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Again. I'm not talking about the electronic component that SENDS the signal. There are electronic components that send 1080p through component cables and component cables can carry a 1080p signal. I'm talking about the SETS that cannot accept anything over 1080i through their component inputs. I'm talking about what happens when you feed a 1080p signal through component cables to a 1080p set that only accepts 1080i through the component input. Why can that t.v. only accept 1080i through that input? Why not 1080p if the signal is sent? If newer sets are able to accept 1080p through componet inputs, then what is it about older sets that limits the signal? This is a hypothetical question and concerns only what is restricting the signal at the INPUT and is not limited to dvd players or game systems.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its about money. Like georgeluv said, the tv has to be able to not only except the signal but also process it. With HDMI it is easier to accomplish this because the signal is already "digitized". With Component Video the signal is analog and must be turned into a digital signal. The Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADC) required to do this are expensive. The ones that do the best job are very expensive. Although there are more 1080p video processors coming the majority of budget video processors available are still not able to scale 1080p frames; only 720p and 1080i. (i.e. the Brodcom chip in the 1st gen HD DVD and Blu-Ray players).

That is also why HDMI is better than Component Video. HDMI offers a more consistent quality than Component Video across different product lines. HDMI "can" pass the original A/V signal digitally while Component Video is an analog mixed bag. The quality of the video signal sent over Component Video depends on how good the Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) are in the source device, the quality of the Component Video cables, and the quality of the ADCs on the receiving device (i.e. TV display). If everything is doing a good job Component Video will preform just as well as HDMI.

You will get an error screen stating that the input resolution is not supported or nothing at all.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  13. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Ah-ha! Processor issue. Got it! Probably no chance for a firmware update then? Thanks everyone for your comments and help! Hope you all had a great holiday!

14. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

so are you saying there will be a day when hd and blu ray dvd players will be able to send 1080p over component? i was under the asumption they will never do this for planned obsolecents reasons and for piracy reasons? will they only be used in comuters?

15. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

When it comes down to it, it has nothing to do with whether or not other connectors can send 1080p. The device itself will allow the HDDVD or Bluray to transmit, but will downgrade it for security measures. So it will be the devices that detect what is being used to transmit the signal. This is why they all love the HDMI because of its security as was already mentioned.

16. S2K

S2K Regular member

this has nothing to do with "planned obsolescence." It is purely content protection.

17. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

eh im pretty sure its both reasons.

the studios know they cant stop piracy so that i think is more of an excuse than a reason. think about it, how much of a demand was there for 1080p over 1080i? enough demand for everyone to buy new tvs in the name of helping the studios protect there precious content with the "hdmi only" policy? how convenient that they didnt start releasing hd and blu ray dvds until the third wave of "hd" technology came out (720p was the first, 1080i was second, and 1080p was third) after a load of people already had bought hd tvs.

they cant stop piracy, the movement grows by the day. so if they cant make any money from preventing piracy how else can they make money? by selling more tvs. its pretty hard to download or copy a tv.

well know exactly how big of a reason planned obsolescence was when they dreamt up the hdmi port only policy by how long it is until they only broadcast hd channels in 1080p and extend the hdmi only policy to hd cable boxes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  18. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

I had purchased the 61" Samsung HLS-6187W and I couldn't get 1080P through Components.I tried the PS3 and 360 on Components and set it to 1080P and I got a distorted signal which means it can't handle 1080P through components.Has anyone had success getting 1080P through Sammy's components? If so How?

19. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

I also saw Crutchfields review of the HLS-6187W stating that you can get 1080P through it's Component inputs and when I went to Best Buy and asked one of the salesman he looked at me and said no TV is capable of displaying 1080P through component just HDMI.I told him about Crutchfields review and he still said that was impossible and he made me mad because he made it seem like i didn't know what I was talking about.He also told me that Microsoft's HD DVD player can only do 720P and not 1080i or 1080P. What do you guys think?

20. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

According to its Quick Reference Manual the PS3 supports 1080p thru component - most likely if the game is 1080p (Marvel Ultimate Alliance, NBA 2K7, Ridge Racer 7). The 360 CAN send 1080p thru component also if the game is 1080p and so far I don't know of any 360 game that is 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006