1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help please...

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Tiesto, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

OK, I know there are loads of FTP posts out there but I have read them all and I am getting nowhere. Here is my situation.

I am running windows XP with a USB modem and trying to use my NIC card with a cross-over cable to connect to the XBOX. (matrix modchip)

1st idiot question:

I am using my intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adaptor. I asume this is the NIC card.?

When I plug the cable into the XBOX, XP recognises the local area network connection. It also recognises when I disconnect the cable. It shows it as connected and running at 100mbps. It also shows that packets have been sent on this connection but none recieved.

I have changed the TCP/IP properties of this connection so that it uses the following:

IP - 192.168.0.1
    Submet - 255.255.255.0
    Def Gate - 192.168.01 (I have tried this blank as well)

I have created my Evox boot CD and when booted up the settings on the XBOX are:

[bold]NETWORK SETTINGS[/bold]

type - Static
    IP - 192.168.0.3
    Line Status - 100/FULL DUPLEX
    Ethernet Mac Addres - 00:50:F2:92:07:69
    Setup Network - Yes
    Static IP - Yes
    IP - 192.168.0.3
    SubNet - 255.255.255.0
    Def Gate - 192.168.0.1 (same as computer IP)
    DNS - 0.0.0.0
    DNS - 0.0.0.0

[bold]BIOS SETTINGS[/bold]

version - unknown
    kernel - 1.00.4977.01
    XBOX Hardware - 0000002

[bold]FTP SETTINGS[/bold]

Enable - Yes
    Password - xbox
    IGR - Yes

[bold]RD TOOLS SETTINGS[/bold]

Enable - Yes
    Name - Evox
    IGR - Yes

[bold]CLOCK SETTINGS[/bold]

Jump To MS Dash - No
    Jump If No Link - Yes
    24hrs - Yes
    SwapDate - No

[bold]MISC SETTINGS[/bold]

IGR - Yes

-------------------------

[bold]XBOX-roks[/bold] stated that the NIC setup needs to be shared for a crossover cable. How do I set this?

If I ping the xbox (192.168.0.3) I get no response.

If I ping my PC from my PC (192.168.0.1) I get no response, but this maybe valid I dont know.

Do you need to be connected to the internet for this to work?

I have also tried booting up the XBOX and then the PC as suggested but this made no difference.

[bold]neonbox12[/bold] who has the same problem stated that he got around the problem by using the Network Setup Wizard. I have had no luck with this so does anyone know how he/she did this?

[bold]marauder[/bold] also posted some xbox settings which included the following:

skipifnolink = no
    setupDelay = 10

I dont seem to have these. Are they required and if so in which section?

If I try to connect via FTP I just get the usual connection timed out. The fact that the ping fails suggests I am not connected but the link is showing at the top of the xbox setting.

Someone else suggested all IGR settings should be NO. Will this really make a difference?

Any ideas whats going wrong?

[bold]Seamonkey[/bold]?

I am getting desperate now. I though after finally getting the modchip aligned that the hard part was over! I still have a hard drive waiting to be installed as well!

Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  2. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

bump!

Come on guys... I am really stuck here.

Any help at all appreciated.

3. Dank

Dank Regular member

turn off the IGR and save and exit.. try running the network wizard if you have xp that has helped some people.

4. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

I have noticed a lot of people posting that turning IGR off helps when running games. But will this really help me in connecting to the XBOX?

I have messed around with the network wizard without any success so far. Is there anyone out there who has successfully used this wizard to connect who can post instructions?

What worries me is that if I type [bold]'ping localhost'[/bold] I still get no reply! I know this works on all my compters at work so why would this not work at home? Do I need to be connected to the internet? If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate this as I think this is my problem.
    (I have just moved house last week and so I am still waiting for my ADSL to be reconnected so I can't try this yet. Man, you dont realise how much you need the internet until its gone)

Thanks for the help. Keep it coming.

5. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Just read that you should disable any firewall when trying to connect to the XBOX and that users of windows XP will need to disable the built-in XP firewall.

May be this is my problem.

Any other people had to do this?

6. NastyNate

NastyNate Member

I accidentally deleted the original ms dash from my xbox. I have the xecuter2.1, and when i turn it off and turn on my xbox it says microsoft. but when i try to log onto Xbox live it says it can't connect. I tried a friends xbox and i found out that it isn't the connection. Do i have to have the original ms dash. if i do can anyone pm me it or help me. nschillings@earthlink.net

7. Dank

Dank Regular member

i did that same shit when i did my first box... you will need to get a back-up of the original c: partition and put and ftp it to the c parttion again... it thik it is like 85 megs or something but you will have to do it..

8. NastyNate

NastyNate Member

well i have access to an xbox that has the normal c files in it, but it doesn't have a chip or evox. is there any way i can ftp into it this way. if not, can someone pm me the original files please.
    nschillings@earthlink.net

9. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Ok I have managed to solve why I couldn't even ping localhost. I had all my firewalls up and running.

I dropped them all and it was ok then.

So can I now ping the XBOX?

Nope!

Getting a little frustrated now.

(Thanks for the private messages though guys)

10. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

ozy. Thanks for the links in the other threads but I am sure I have tried all those.

Check out my settings above and see if you can spot anything.

The only suggestion I havent tried yet is to set IGR = false everywhere in ini file of the boot CD. But I cant imagine this will make a difference.

Thanks again.

11. ozy

ozy Regular member

Have you checked to see if the network firewall is enabled, if it is untick the box. This will stop your connection to the xbox. Woops sorry I missed the previous post which has been covered allready.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2003
  12. ozy

ozy Regular member

It sounds like the settings in Flash FXP are out. My setup was simple due to just having a normal network card. But I can't see why you should need to use the network connection wizard at all. Flash FXP should instantly connect. This is how I set mine up.

1. added an IP Address to my computer as 192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask automatically after tab.

2. Made sure all firewalls were disabled.

3. Installed Flash FXP

4. Added a new site to Flash FXP

13. NastyNate

NastyNate Member

To Ftp into your XBOX, do you HAVE to have evox, or a mod chip?...is there any way.

14. ozy

ozy Regular member

Not sure what happened to my previous post but got disconnected.

All my XBOX settings are the same except my Ethernet Mac Address is 00:50:F2:8D:B5:45 hope this helps!

15. ozy

ozy Regular member

NastyNate, yes you do need Evox. The modchip allows you to play the back up games.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2003
  16. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Ozy, Can you ping your XBOX IP address?

I still can't do this. Once the Firewalls were dropped I was able to ping my computer but still get a timeout when pinging my XBOX.

This is despite EVOX saying that the XBOX is broadcasting on the IP address and shows a FULL DUPLEX connection!

Any more ideas?

17. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Anyone think the Bios Version of 'Unknown' has anything to do with my connection problems?

I have just started to flash the BIOS again from the boot cd with the Evox D6 Eject Fix Bios but it is just sitting there saying Erasing! This normal?

18. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

hey m8

just read all the post.
    sounds like ur getting pretty fed up!! dont blame u actually!

i dont think your bios version is the problem.
    iam actually running that D6 Eject Bios you are installing and i always manage to FTP to my xbox fine.
    i know its a pain, but go through EACH of the settings very carefully and check they are all correct. process of elimination works m8! :]

hope you sort it out with this new bios....

19. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

OK this is my next plan.

Can someone who has successfully connected to their XBOX with the cross-over cable method please email me the ini file they used to create the EVOX boot disk.

My email address is: aqze74@dsl.pipex.com

This may be of great help.

Thanks people

20. ozy

ozy Regular member

Tiesto, Give this method a try, I doubt it will solve your problem but it will help for future backups. My XBOX used to show an unknown bios previosly until I downloaded the Executer 2 Bios.

First went to http://www.biteable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ and downloaded the X2 4976.02 which includes 6 different colours. I actually d/loaded the X2 4976.02 which included the IGR file aswell but this file was too big and the xbox rejected it.
    As long as your mod chip is flashable you can use this method which I found at http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/evox-flash.php if not u could probably find another guide in the same link. I'm not a great wiz at this sort of stuff but with determination, worked it out. I opened flashfxp and clicked on the "C" drive of the xbox, found the evox.ini file, right clicked on it and clicked edit. Might be a good idea to print this ini file out just in case you stuff it and can't remember the layout. I then added the two flash conversions shown in the above link e.g "Flash = 0xbf61,"SST - 49LF020",0x40000" and typed it in above the others,located under the Bios section and exited. The computer then told me to save changes to ini file and do I want to post updates to xbox, which I did. I then dragged the new bios I d/loaded earlier over to the "BIOS Folder" on the xbox. Got off the computer and with the xbox controller clicked on "Launch Menu" then clicked on "Flash Bios". The new folder I dragged had shown on the menu now, clicked on it and pressed "Y" to flash. The xbox erased the old bios and uploaded the new one and then shut itself off. The rest is history because that simple process must have taken me about 3 days to workout. Hope this helps any other newbies out there. "peace!" Oh, by the way. No I have'nt tried to ping my xbox because I would'nt have a clue how to. Probably sounds strange after reading the above.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003