1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue: unable to continue multisession CD-R using Nero Burning ROM

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Morbius1, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Morbius1

Morbius1 Member

I am not sure if I should post in this forum or in the CD-R forum.

My problem: I am unable to continue to write a 2nd session on a multisession CD-R. I use Ahead Nero Burning ROM v. 6.6.0.13 and my CD-RW writer is an Iomega CD-RW 9600-INT-B (Lite-On OEM).

What happens is that, after I reinsert the CD-R into the writer for a 2nd writing session, choose "New Compilation", select "Continue Multissession Disc", and click on the "New" button, the Select Track window opens and indicates: "-- This disc is not writable, please try another one --".

Yet, I had previously made sure to start to write on my CD-R (1st session) using the "Start Multisession Disc" option and making sure that I do NOT select the "Finalize CD" option, in order to leave it open. By the way, if I check the CD with the "Disc Info", I can see the Session 01 and Track 01.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone kindly help?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

You might want to update to version 6.6.0.18 which is the best Nero 6 version. Uninstall and run the Nero 6 Clean Tool before installing the following two Nero 6.6.0.18 packages:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/Nero_6_CleanTool.html

Package 1: http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe
    Package 2: http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

I use only RW media for multisession disks. Seems to work better for me. I check Continue Multisession, Refresh compilation when importing session, and Add new files to compilation. Those are the only things I check when adding to an existing volume.

I've always found the multisession thing a little unreliable myself. There's also packet writing software like Nero InCD, Drag and Drop, and DLA to mention just some of the software. These allow treating RW media in a manner similar to a hard disk.

3. zapatero

zapatero Member

Use Nero InfoTool > Disc to check if the disc was finalized by error.

I have burned lots of multisession CD-Rs without any problem, using both Nero 6 and Nero 7.

4. Morbius1

Morbius1 Member

Many thanks, laddyboy and zapatero.

I might try to upgrade to 6.6.0.18 as suggested (although I have the feeling this is not going to change anything...).

But what I noticed is that all the discs I have this multisession problem with are those that contain one single large file (video DivX format) of ~ 700 MB of size. By the way, the reason why I wish to write again on these discs is to add a subtitle file (.srt or .sub format) which I do get later.

I tried to do some multisession (using the same drive and the same Nero Burning ROM), writing smaller size files, and this time, I succeeded without any problem!

Now, InfoTool indicates (under -> Disc, for CD-R causing pb, of course): Status: Closed, finalized
    (I wish I could have made a screen copy of what InfoTool shows and posted it here for you to see but I don't know how to do that. Could someone explain me, for future purpose?)

Obviously, this suggests that my disc was finalized! I use blank CD-Rs of 730 MB, and the DivX files I write do not exceed 710 MB. So, I should have enough space for adding one (or even several) subtitle files which are usually only ~ 50 KB large.

Now, the questions I have are:

1. Why was the disc closed and finalized by Nero when I specifically indicated that I wanted to leave it open? How can I prevent this from happening?

2. I understand that perhaps I should have burned both the DivX file and the subtitle file in one single session, and I will do that now as long as I have the subs file ready. But the situation is that now I have several such discs (with one single large DivX file) that I wish to add a subs file to. It would be nice if I could re-open them (rather than having to burn them again, thus avoiding to waste them!) Is there a way to re-open a closed disc? Or is the closing session irreversible?

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I do not know why your disk was finalized. You did initially designate it as a new multisession disk when you burned the first file?

There is no way to reopen a finalized disk that I'm aware to do further writing. Might I suggest using RW media until your project is complete. At that point, you can burn to a write-once format disk. That's what I do and it saves on disks in the long run, not that they're all that expensive these days anyway. When the disk is finalized a permanent table of contents is written and that's that.

6. Morbius1

Morbius1 Member

Yes, I can confirm that those discs were initiated as multisession. And during the burning session, I was not notified by Nero at any time that the discs would be closed (for whatever reason). There seems to be some mystery here...

7. zapatero

zapatero Member

I think the disc was finalized simply because the file was too large. Remember that not only the data files are burned, in each session a lead-out is burned, and this takes space in the disc. To reduce this space, select the option NBR > File > Options > Expert features > Enable generation of short lead-out.

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Excellent point, zapatero.

9. Morbius1

Morbius1 Member

Thanks again, Zapatero.

I have tried to burn using the short lead-out, unfortunately it does not work: Nero still closes and finalizes the disk.

You might well be right when saying that "the disc was finalized simply because the file was too large". However, from a user viewpoint, this is not satisfatory. What is the size limit for multisession disc burning? Why does Nero not notify it will finalize the disc? If anyone knows, I'll be glad to learn...

Once again, I use CD-Rs of 730 MB. The first file I burn is under 700 MB, and the subsequent files less than 50 KB. Therefore, size should not be a problem.

If I am unable to solve my problem with Nero 6, I have the following ideas:

* Switch to Nero 7. I have no experience with it. Can I expect to do what I want with it or will it be the same?

* Switch to another disc burning application software? Do you have any suggestion.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

before going to Nero 7 you got great advise from Laddyboy and zapatero
    and I would definitely update to Nero 6.6.0.18! save your serial # first and then uninstall and use the Nero cleaning tools, clean your registry and then reboot! then install package 1 and package 2 as suggested. It could be all the difference you need to correct this problem!

11. zapatero

zapatero Member

I agree thet Nero should warn that it will finalize the disc because there is no space left to burn another session.

I think in v. 7 there are not changes in multissesion capability.

One of Nero strengths is precisely its multissesion capability. ImgBurn does not support multissesion. I do not know of any alternative.

From a Google seach: "According to the CDRW FAQ, the first session on a CD costs 28MB ... Subsequent sessions cost 13M each... " If this is correct, it is not possible to burn more than one session with a 700 MB file, even on a 730 MB disc.

12. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I think Zapatero's got this one figured out as to why things happened as they did.

13. plyex

plyex Member

I too am having the same problem using Nero 6 ( & nero express). I am using the cd writer that came installed in my Presario( ASUS CRW-4832AS). I am almost certian it just started doing this recently, I usually try to fill them up on the first burn. It closes my disks no matter what size or type of file I write (allow multisession enabled). What brought this issue to my attention was trying to erase a cdrw disk. It told me I needed a rewritable disk. It "closes" RW's, & won't let me re-write them. This is very frustrating because as you well know rw's cost twice as much as cdr's, rw's won't play in my mp3 cd player either. I wasn't aware that a rw could be rendered closed, or not eraseable, but I had never thought of closing or making one un-eraseable. I mean why would you ?

14. Morbius1

Morbius1 Member

Following laddyboy and IHoe's advice, I have updated to 6.6.0.18, but there is no change at all.

Zapatero, perhaps your explanation is the right one.

But I am still wondering if there is another method for getting the result I want to obtain

15. plyex

plyex Member

I read something earlier about users of Easy CD Creator having the same issue of which they had determined that their problem occured after upgrading to IE7. I recently upgraded to IE7. They suggested to roll back to IE6.I am going to try this, as I really dislike the new IE anyway.

16. Morbius1

Morbius1 Member

By IE, do you mean Internet Explorer? Just in case you do, you may like to know that I have IE6, not IE7, on my PC. So, that is unlikely to be the issue.