1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with DVD/CD Drive errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JPMac, Jan 1, 2007.

1. JPMac

JPMac Member

Hello all. I am at my wits end here. Just finished building a new PC everything works awsome except for my dvd drive. I have an
    LG GSA-H22N super multi DVD-RW drive. I installed my XP-Pro OS using it. Installed all the motherboard drivers on it. Even Installed Roxio Easy CD&DVD burning software using the drive. The problem occurs when I insert a blank disk.I get "D:\ Is not accessible" Incorrect Function. At first I thought there was an an incompatibility issue with the blank disks so I purchased some new ones and the result is the same. I tried to update the drivers for the drive but LG sucks and I cannot for the life of me find the driver I need. What do y'all think is the dillio with this piece of scrap plastic and metal?

Any help would be most appreciative ande many thanks in advance.

JPMac

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

This could be an issue with Roxio. Have you tried uninstalling it?

3. ireland

ireland Active member

see if this help ye

You should uninstall Easy CD Creator, if it is installed, through Windows Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. To do so:

A. Go to "Start" then "Settings" then select "Control Panel"
    B. Double Click "Add/Remove Programs"
    C. Uninstall Easy CD Creator Platinum 6 Roxio creator 7 and/or Adaptec Easy CD Creator
    WARNING: THE NEXT STEPS INVOLVE EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT YOUR REGISTRY (STEP 3) BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING (STEP 4). EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE. WE RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE EDITING YOUR REGISTRY THAT YOU SKIP THE FOLLOWING STEPS.
    1) Log on with Administrative Privileges
    2) Open the Registry Editor:
    a) Go to "Start" then select "Run"
    b) Type "regedit" and click "OK"
    3) Backup you registry by:
    a) Highlight "My Computer" by clicking on it once.
    b) At the top of the page you should see "File"(Win XP) or "Registry" (Win 2000), click on this and then select "Export Registry File"
    c) The following screen will allow you to select where you would like to save this backup and what file name you would like to save it as.
    d) Please note at the bottom of the screen where it says export range "All"; this should be selected to ensure your entire registry is backed up completely.
    e) Give the File a name and Click on the "SAVE" button (this will bring you back to the registry editor)
    4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:
    a) Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.
    b) Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
    c) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
    d) Expand the "Control" Key
    e) Expand the "Class" Key
    f) Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    g) High light this key by left clicking once on it
    h) On the right hand side you are looking for "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters", once you find these please delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
    5) Restart your computer.

APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  4. JPMac

JPMac Member

Actually I am fairly sure it is not the fault of Roxio. I say this only because the drive did not work prior to installation. I am a bit nervous about editing the registry, but I will try to attempt it in the morning. Thanks everyone!

JPMac

5. JPMac

JPMac Member

Ok what the hell is going on here! I just returned the LG DVD drive and purchased a lite-on product. Same results. Ireland, thanks for the tip, but I followed your instructions and I do not have any filters there were no filters at all listed. I also followed the instructions as per Microsoft to enable recording (recording tab was not present before). Here is what I have done thus far with no results.
    I uninstalled all burning software i.e. Nero & Roxio.
    Updated the Bios.
    Attempted to update the driver for the dvd, but it said it already had the latest version.
    I unstalled the drive via device manager, restarted and device showed back up.
    Now the problem is that when I do NOT have a disk in the drive My Computer recognizes is as dvd rw. If i put a dvdrw blank disk in the drive My Computer changes its mind and then recognizes it as a CD drive. Yes it actually changes!!!! Ok so it changes, I have recording enabled, so I thought to atleast try to burn something so I put a shortcut to be written the computer shows a popup "files are ready to be written click here to view these files" so I click the pop up, see the shortcut and hit burn. Then I get the incorrect function bogus crap all over again. I am seriously thinking of reformating the hard drive and starting all over again, clear the CMOS, etc. Does anyone have any idea what the hell I am doing wrong. Shouldn't this hardware be pretty straight forward and run itself even with a new pc? Just when I think my venture into PC building was a success this crap happens. Help me folks!!!!! I am about to smash this thing....LOL

6. JPMac

JPMac Member

Ok what the hell is going on here! I just returned the LG DVD drive and purchased a lite-on product. Same results. Ireland, thanks for the tip, but I followed your instructions and I do not have any filters there were no filteres at all listed. I also followed the instructions as per Microsoft to enable recording (recording tab was not present before). Here is what I have done thus far with no results.
    I uninstalled all burning software i.e. Nero & Roxio.
    Updated the Bios.
    Attempted to update the driver for the dvd, but it said it already had the latest version.
    I unstalled the drive via device manager, restarted and device showed back up.
    Now the problem is that when I do NOT have a disk in the drive My Computer recognizes is as dvd rw. If i put a dvdrw blank disk in the drive My Computer changes its mind and then recognizes it as a CD drive. Yes it actually changes!!!! Ok so it changes, I have recording enabled, so I thought to atleast try to burn something so I put a shortcut to be written the computer shows a popup "files are ready to be written click here to view these files" so I click the pop up, see the shortcut and hit burn. Then I get the incorrect function bogus crap all over again. I am seriously thinking of reformating the hard drive and starting all over again, clear the CMOS, etc. Does anyone have any idea what the hell I am doing wrong. Shouldn't this hardware be pretty straight forward and run itself even with a new pc? Just when I think my venture into PC building was a success this crap happens. Help me folks!!!!! I am about to smash this thing....LOL