1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to convert mp3 or any common format to 5.1 AUdiO ?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by djdeep, Jan 5, 2007.

1. djdeep

djdeep Member

welll ...,

im new here if this kinda thread is already there than im sorry :|

but it very imp. can i know how to make mp3 or any common audio files to 5.1 ?

or there is particular site were we get 5.1 dolby (audio tracks )

if sooo plz let me know or gemme the easiest steps to make :)

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

You're in the wrong place!!
    This is for High Resolution audio - which MP3 is anything but!
    You will have terrible trouble trying this, as MP3 has already had 11/12 of the original data thrown away when it was compacted, and to make a 5.1 stream will involve decoding to WAV - which will not recover the lost data.

Dolby Digital is like multichannel MP3 really, IE ghastly in terms of quality. Recompressing a stereo WAV that has been turned into Multichannel back to DD will throw out even more data, and the quality will be dreadful.
    Best option? Use the DSP in your amplifier, or set the stereo track to play back through Dolby ProLogic II decoders.

Sorry!

3. djdeep

djdeep Member

welll ..,

seems like its really hard leave it :| but do u know place where i can get DVD AUDIO tracks ?

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

you might try Google for the file types you're trying to find.

5. djdeep

djdeep Member

well .. ,

mate im not gettin :( plz can u search me one ?

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

What are you trying to do here?
    DVD-A is an audio-based format, and carries either stereo or multichannel audio.
    Stereo can be from 16/44.1 (CD Resolution) all the way up to 24/192.
    Multichannel can be from 16/44.1 to 24/96, but in 5.1 at 24/88.2 or 24/96KHz, you need to use MLP Lossless encoding.

There are a lot of "Home Made" DVD-A discs doing the rounds these days, usually from stereo CD upmixes to 5.1
    Try Demonoid.

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

For What?

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I know what they are.
    I just don't know what you think they are the best for.
    Certainly not DVD-Audio, as neither one can create these discs.
    Audition's Multichannel functionality is poor, Soundforge's multichannel capability is also minimal.
    Audition has a great set of Restoration tools though.

For Stereo/Wave editors, I use WaveLab 6 myself. Much better.
    Usually though, I do everything in Nuendo nowadays - no real need for a stereo editor.

9. zarzoo

zarzoo Member

10. djdeep

djdeep Member

thnx guyz ... ,

for keep postin ya ideas ... thnx :)

PEACE

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No Problem.
    If I knew exactly what you are wanting to do it may help though.
    You can download a lot of both DTS-CD and DVD-A images & files via places like Demonoid or other BitTorrent sites.
    DTS-CD is streets ahead of the ghastly Dolby Digital for music, and best of all does not need authoring - just encode to DTS-WAV, which will multiplex the 5.1 mix into what looks like a straight CD.

I think you are looking for upmixing techniques.
    If this is the case, try www.dtsac3.com

12. djdeep

djdeep Member

Well ... ,

Now since i got very les time to experiment im really lookin for DVD movies Supportin 5.1 .... sooo i directly copy to a DVD and enjoy the movie in my 5.1

holla back

13. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Nope.
    Still confused.
    A Movie is either in 5.1 discrete, or 5.1 matrix, or stereo.
    All DVD-Video discs can support 5.1
    If you have a movie that is currently in stereo, to get it out to 5.1 will require upmixing, which is a lot of effort.
    Another option is simply to output via Analogue from the DVD player (using the L/R RCA outputs) and run it through a D)Olby ProLogic II decoder set to Movie mode (for an aggressive centrechannel) or Music mode (for a wider spread).
    Neo-DTS also works well.

What are you wanting to actually do here?

14. djdeep

djdeep Member

lol ok wateva leave it bruh ...

its kool thnx very much but if u can plz reply / help me on this prob : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/554150

Thnx advanced ...

PEACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

here is the another trick

iam talking about musical movies
    some tmes they gavea folder of audio only in commmerical dvd
    iam ripping the only audio files to my hd
    whola i have songs in 5.1 and dts format with jpegs
    i don't need upmixing or downmixing
    in the mean time if iwant them in wave/mp3 format i can change to listen in my car

now i have my own dvd-a w/5.1 or dts uncompressed

16. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

?????
    DTS is not "uncompressed", it is just not as heavily compressed as Dobly Dirgital is.
    The difference between true lossless and even DTS is huge.

17. SteveJoy

SteveJoy Member

DjDeep, I was having this problem a long while ago.
    I wanted to make mp3 files to the possible best audio type there is.
    I did a lot of resurch about if it would be possible, there are loads of sites on the web that say it isn't possible, well, in my opinion there is.
    I found a way to create ac3. 6chanal (5.1 Dolby) from mp3.
    Maybe it isn't the same as with a movie but the mp3 quality is very much improved.
    It doesn't make a DTS signal out of the mp3 file it only makes the mp3 stereo sound appear over a 5.1 speaker-set (wich was my intention for doing it).

So let's get to the point, How to get it right.
    (I found out this method about 1 and a half year ago, so now there might be more programs capeble of doig the same thing, but still I use this method.)

Things I used:

1. Addobe Encore DVD 1.5
    2. Audio Dvd Creator (ADCTools)

For better quality mp3 (higher volume)
    3. Magix Video Deluxe (Audio Cleaner)

(becourse this was the only audio converter that supports the real ac3 5.1 dolby digital codec converter, I tryed a lot of free mp3 to ac3 converters but they didn't work for me the most ones I used did convert it to ac3 5.1 channel but lowerd the volume)

so:
    1. Click: File - "new project".
    2. Click: File - "Import as timeline" (your .mp3 file)
    3. Right Click: in the project tab on the name of your song (the one with the speaker icon in front of it) "transcode settings" I used a custom transcode setting: "256 kbps copy of pal dv high quality 4mb vbr 2 pass" wich you can set yourself at "File"-"Transcode"-"Edit project transcode presets"
    Every mp3 song you must set the transcode settings individualy.
    4. Right Click: on song titel again and hit "Transcode Now" (this might take some time depending on the time of your song or the numbers of songs)
    5. Click: "File"-"Build Dvd"-"Make Dvd Folder" to save your transcoded files somewhere on your hdd (if anythinkg pops up just hit ignore and save).
    6. Now you can find your files wherever you saved them (Sources-Transcodes-your file.ac3)

Still now it is a 2 channel file, so lets continue with the next program "Audio Dvd Creator".

1. Open Audio Dvd Creator, Click file: "Audio Dvd Creator Tools"
    2. Click on the "Convert Audio" Tab.
    3. Open your transcoded audio file
    4. Select output format "AC3" Channels: "6, 5.1"
    5. GO!

Now you have your 6(5.1dolby) channel ac3 file.
    The only thing is that it has now 2x the size as the original mp3 file but you can now burn it in "ISO" mode to DVD.

So I found out this method a while ago so now there are probably other programs that can do this for you by pressing one button.
    But I put a lot of time in finding out this method and it works for me: Better sound quality, plays on all my speakers of my Home Cinema Set in high quality.

2nd I recently found an other program called "Magix Video Deluxe 2007Plus" I used it to create video's.
    But It also has a Audio Cleaning option wich can convert a low quality mp3 (and many other audio files) in a magical way to High Quality.
    Works Superb to me.
    When using this program it will create a wave file wich you can convert with any other wav to mp3 converter keeping the same high quality.
    The mp3 file can be the same size as the original but with higher quality so this is ideal for use on mp3 players.
    The only down side is that it still is mp3 2channel.
    But when you have created this file you can use it from the start of the first method (addobe premier-audio dvd creator) to get the 6 channel out of it.

I hope I gave you the info you where searching for so that you don't have to search any further.

If you have any more questions send me a pm.

If anyone that is reading this wants any proof of what I'm saying, send me a pm with your E-mail so that you can give me a mp3 file you would like to be converted to ac3 6channel.

18. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Fraunhofer has updated their MP3 protocol to include 5.1 surround sound. They even have some neat freeware on their website that'll convert standard MP3's to the newer MP3_SX format. Even with the newer format, the file extension is still .mp3 and it's backward compatible.

Note, In order to convert your mp3's to mp3_sx using Fraunhofer's programs, your mp3 must be 44.1 Khz and have a bitrate below 192 kbs.
    Even with this it still sounds good.

Hopefully, some newer audio converter software programs will pick up on this format and offer a higher sampling frequency & bitrate.

19. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

20. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Sorry, but I honestly fail to see what this dreadful sounding format has to do with High Resolution - it's about as low-res as it's possible to get.
    MP3 surround is awful - the quality is dreadful, and it has no place in this High Resolution forum.