1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 5205-s703 DVD-RW drive issues

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by werecub, Aug 4, 2003.

1. werecub

werecub Member

I know this thread exists, but my question is not answered on there.

The DVD-RW drive in my laptop does not recognize blank DVD-RW media AT ALL. It treats the drive as if it is empty. In fact the drive very much acts like it is a dvd/cd-rw combo drive.

When a blank CD-RW is inserted it recognizes that there is free space on the disc, but a DVD-RW is treated as if the drive was empty.

I have tried using the Drag and drop software as well as the nero 5.5 free trial. In both of these it request that i insert a blank media when a blank dvd-rw is in the drive.

Now if i put in a DVD-RW that has been written to it reads it fine. Commericially created DVDs are fine as well.

I have tried DVD+RW's also, to no avail, as well as trying different brands of DVD-rw's.

This laptop has been in for repair 2x to toshiba and nothing has solved this problem. The bios has been updated just this past week by the toshiba repair center which the computer was shipped off to. This is the second drive in the unit. The first drive (which would not burn DVD's either) burnt itself out, and stopped spinning discs. This is the second unit i have had under this purcahse as well. The first unit's dvd drive broke with in 14 days of purchase and was exchanged for a new one.

I am beginning to think that there is something fundamentally flawed with this system's architecture? And I am about to take legal action to get a refund on my purchase.

Is there anyone who can help?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Looks to me as if you've covered all the bases.