1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cannot access my regedit...can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by markdir, Jan 9, 2007.

1. markdir

markdir Member

I have a virus...my Trend Micro is seeing it. I cannot access my regedit to get rid of it. Can someone help?

2. kateman

kateman Regular member

i wouldnt edit your reg if your not use to it. post a hijackthis log.

3. Xithon

Xithon Member

Yer, if you don't have HiJack This, download it from www.majorgeeks.com for free and use it to scan your system. Then grab the log file it creates (if it didn't, you may need to tell it to, it should create it in the directory or in a folder within the directory called log(s) or something.

Post it up here and I'll have a look, or if I'm not on (I am having an online gaming tournament soon) I'm sure someone else will be able to have a look for you.

Good luck

PS,

I'm not sure what you meant by not being able to access the regedit, all you need to do is bring up your Start menu, click Run, then type in regedit and press enter. This will bring it up usually, unless of course this has been disabled maybe by the administrator or by the person who set up your PC or by another source (possibly a virus). If you know what you're doing, you should be able to find what you need (if you know what to look for) otherwise, I wouldn't touch it if I were you, you can really mess things up by making one false move. Remember that some entries that are malicious and causing problems are sometimes given similar or the same names as something that is safe and potentially critical to your PC. Using HiJack This should eliminate this problem as I believe (remembering the last time I used it) you can can backup any entries you delete.

What exactly did you mean about you couldn't run it regedit?

4. bkf

bkf Guest

I understand what you are saying. I had the answer in my eyes a few days ago so there is a program on my system that can fix this but I simply have not been able to find it again. (Has something to do with a 1/2 a million files in this thing) System is getting to big. I read your post days ago and it has been driving me nuts looking for it. You’re going to have to rid your system of whatever changed the permissions to the regedit file. You’re going to have to do what the virus fighters say without question. But in the mean time load this. I use it all the time, it is free, and I do some really major changes to the registry with it. Me and the xp registry are no strangers. I know what im doing in regedit. This program is very powerful and you can kill your system if used wrong but I can guide you to where the problem area is. Except if a virus changed your settings and is still active it will just change them back again.
    Load this and ill try to guide you from there but at the same time your going to have to work with the people here in AD to fix the root cause of your problem. There is no shortage of virus's that change these files and registry entries. Bk

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Registrar_Lite_d469.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  5. markdir

markdir Member

Thanks for the feedback. I lost Explorer so I can't access the Internet either. It looks pretty messed up. When I said I could not access regedit...if I go to start...command...regedit...the window pops up and goes away. I'm pretty much dead in the water and this is my work computer...by the way...I'm posting this from a desktop comp...not the infected one.

6. bkf

bkf Guest

Man that is messed up :-( Gee if you lost explorer I don't have a clue how you could run anything to fix anything. But im sure the people here will have an answer.

Just made me think, did you lose internet explorer or windows explorer?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  7. markdir

markdir Member

Internet Explorer on Windows...is there a Windows Explorer? Is that different?

8. bkf

bkf Guest

Yes: internet explorer is for the internet, windows explorer is internel and part of the OS

edit: some day ill learn how to spell lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  9. Xithon

Xithon Member

Blimey! That really is bad!! I'm pretty sure you've either taken on-board a virus or some sort of nasty malicious script, or... there could be an incompatibility with a program sitting or running on the computer.

The reason I've mentioned 'program' is that I once installed a super-duper all-singing program that was said to be an anti-virus, anti-ad/spyware, firewall, reg cleaner and error fixer all in one. I trusted it to be a good program because I'm familiar with their other products, but I'd forgotten about my old anti-virus program, McAfee, and after I installed the new program, everything went dead and I couldn't do anything- total system freeze-up in fact. Got a new HDD in the end and reinstalled windows, it totally messed up the old HDD even after I'd tried using all the tricks I knew.

Have you recently downloaded anything? (and I mean anything)
    Was there anything you did that you might think triggered it? (as in, what happened before all this- did you happen to do anything?)

Sometimes viruses can sit on your PC for weeks doing nothing but monitor and send info back to a server or wherever it came from, so it's possible you could have picked it up a while ago and it's only just triggered. Possibly something you may have done (something as simple as booting or restarting your PC or running an application) set the virus into action.

I'm not quite familiar with your anti-virus tool, but if it is a trusted and well-updated one, I don't see why it would have only just picked it up though. Still, I've always got the latest Norton Anti-virus (2007 at the moment) which I update daily and full-sys scan weekly and there's stuff buried in my PC that my advanced firewall and spy/ad/malware program finds which Norton didn't find.

I suggest hitting ctrl+alt+delete on the 'infected' PC, and then goto File > New Task (Run...) and type in 'explorer'. Sometimes I loose explorer when my PC decides to close everything when I try to multitask, by running explorer under the New Task option, it always kicks back into action.

See if that works and tell us your results.

Another thing I'd definitely recommend (if you haven't already) is taking any and all details you can gather from the virus your tool is picking up (like name, location, maybe a unique number if stated, things like that) and see what information you can find about it on the website of the anti-virus tool's manufacturer. If you have no luck, try Googling it, I find searching online for application, programs or viruses I'm not 100% solid on can help a lot. Sometimes you'll find a forum post or two with people having the same problem, or a guide to getting rid of your problem. Find out as much as you can and see what you can dig up.

Hope some of that makes sense and is a little helpful. Apologies for the masses of text, I just hope your situation is resolved soon. Check back with details and anything else you can gather. Another thing, what are the system specs of the infected PC?

All the best.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  10. kateman

kateman Regular member

is it possible for you to download a copy of firefox or internet explorer from work and put it on a usb?

11. dskiff

dskiff Member

12. Xithon

Xithon Member

My apologies, kateman. I honestly thought I saw your name on the post. Sorry, ignore this post. :(

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  13. kateman

kateman Regular member

@Xithon. ME? wth have i done? its dskiff that quoted you! and what dskiff is, and i agree useless, but its hardly spamming.