1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C&C Generals Playing Errors

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Crossfire, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Crossfire

Crossfire Member

Whenever I attempt to PLAY my C&C Generals game it starts off choppy then seems okay, then i go to my desk top and get a long error message about the error some how being my fault due to either viruses, overheated hardware or hardware that doesn't meet the requirements. I scanned for viruses, EAzy checked my software and let it be off for a day. I haven't burned this disk nor attempted to make a back up one, but it keeps frustrating me.

I have been trying to run C&C for three days doing everything I'm told to do in tech support here and other message boards but nothing seems to work please help.

Thank You _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Death Comes When The Dreamer Awakes[/small]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

More than likely your video card m8. I think the minimim requirements for C&C Generals video is nVidia GeForce2 64 meg (SD-RAM). Disable antivirus while playing the game and choose "low" for graphic detail. If you have a 17 inch monitor change the screen resolution to 800x600(game).

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2003
  3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I though the min. reqs were for 32MB... oh well it doesnt affect me much! :D

On a more serious not, what are your system specs? (CPU, RAM Count, RAM Type, HDD Size, HDD Interface, actual transfer mode, video card, etc). It may also help to virusscan just to rule out the possibilitiy. :)

Actually now that I think of it, I can play Generals with:
    P3-800E, 512MB PC146, ATA133-80GB (14Gb free), Geforce2 MX400 32MB (that's the first generation GF2 for ya!. I also didnt need to drop the performance a lot either (ran it at 1024x768 and the remaining detail settings in the medium-high range). Then again I was also playing with a virtual cd which would prolly help plenty :D_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Nope and you'll continue to encounter these unless you upgrade your video card (obviously). Try and play the game on "low" performance and you "might" get lucky.

Look underneath my sig......
    Video card (4x) have come down in price. I know you get a nVidia GeForce2 128 DDR video card for about 70 buckaroos.

Shoey :)

5. Praetor

LOL I meant to ask Crossfire about his specs lol.

6. Crossfire

Crossfire Member

[bold] I APOLOGIZE BUT AS IT SAYS UNDER MY NICK NAME I AM A NEWBIE TO THIS FEILD AND TO NOT COMPREHENDING EVERYTHINGV YOU GUYS HAVE SAID [/bold]

How am I supposed to get to my options?
    After the begining movie the error occures.

Sorry I didn't include specs I'm better at reading threads rather then adding to them i will update with my specs soon.

Sorry for any in coveince.

7. Crossfire

Crossfire Member

Here I THINK these are my "Specs".

Computer Name: HPPAV
    Operating System: Windows ME
    CPU: 863 Mhz
    Genuinelntel
    Pentium III
    Total Memory: 254 MB
    Free Memory: 158 MB
    Total Ram: 255 MB
    DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1
    Video Card: Intel[R] 82810E Graphics
    Video Driver: 4.12.01.2641
    Sound Card: MPU- 401 CompatibleMIDI Device

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

[bold] The most unstable O/S Mikersoft ever released. Consider upgrading to WinXP... [/bold]

Upgrading to 512 MB would really help in crease total pc performance.

You can find nVidia GeForce2 64 Meg&^ video cards at reasonable prices. (Jayton, eVga)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2003
  9. Praetor

The options that I am referring to can be access after you load the game. If you cannot load the game and get an error of likes of "PLease Insert CnC Generals Play Disc and Try Again" or something like that, that means you have incorrectly duplicated the Generals CD.

10. Crossfire

Crossfire Member

I do not know why its so "unstable" but I can not upgrade my computer. Should I try a warranty on the computer or game???

I want to be able to play my game especially when i payed 50$ for it!

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Gotta read the minimum requirements before you buy m8. it's like living in a small apartment and buying a huge double wide fridge= ain't gonna fit... Like I said earlier, grab a GeForce2 128 meg video card and you "might" get lucky as I don't recall the minimim specs on the CPU.

12. Praetor

Oh so true! IF there are even options you can tweak around with in your display settings:
    - Make sure video "acceleration" is set to max
    - Disable any texture sharpening
    - Set everything for performance mode (as opposed to quality mode)
    - Disable antialiasing

BTW Shoey, I was right about the min. requirements :p
    You CAN play it with a 16 MB video card however the framerates will be soooooo horriable (just the main menu lol) you wont be able to play much - tried it on a P4 1.8, 16 MB Radeon (1st generation radeon) - the main menu must have been playing at 2 fps.

In any case, your proc and memory should be up to the task.... its just the Intel video decelerator you've got. Bloody thing is dragging the rest of your system down with it! As Shoey suggests, perhaps you should take a look at a GF2MX (~$40 CAD) or GF4MX (~$70 CAD) or Radeon7500 (~$65 CAD)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700

COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well I had troubles playing the game on a nVidia TNT Pro (32 meg) video card running on an AMD Athlon XP 1700+. I upgrade to a nVidia GeForce2 64 meg and the game played fine. Sounds like a EA "goof"......

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2003
  14. Crossfire

Crossfire Member

Thank You for what you have stated, I will attempt to see about an upgrade.

Its seems there have been alot of goofs in this game by what I've seen around and I personally miss the Godd ol' Days when Westwood Ran Command and Conquer!

Thanks!!!

P.S. If you figure/find out anything new please inform me. TY

15. Praetor

No problem dude! Yes CnC Generals departed from the traditional non-scv type rts! It was a sad change :( Although it doesnt seem to be that bad a change, it does seem to promote more rushing which is the bane of such a game hehe (IMO)

Shoey: it needs a 32MB GF2 not TNT2 - TNT2s are just too bloody old lol -- im impressed the game even loaded with a TNT2 lol :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700

COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2003
  17. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

Generals runs like a snail on my AMD 1ghz, 256 mb RAM, Geforce 2 Pro, system. (ok I know it sucks by todays standards) but.....

.... my other PC which is exactly the same except it has a Geforce 3 (siluro) runs Generals very smooth and playable.

So, obviously it's just a simple graphics card issue.

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Runs like a [bold] snail [/bold] on my GeForce2 64 meg video card as well m8. On that system I'm running an AthlonXP 1700+ and SD-DDR-2600 ram. That's why I posted EA "goofed" on the specs for this game (video card minimum requirements). Game play fine on my GeForce4..
    I'm convinced in order for the game to play (stable) to at least run a GeForce2 64meg [bold] NOT 32meg [/bold]

Shoey :)__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2003
  19. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

I have also found that the cinemas really struggle (far more than the actual gameplay), which is odd as they use the game engine. EA messed this game up IMO, rushed?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  20. Praetor

Agreed. Regardless of the official minimum requirements i would imagine a GF2Ultra is the least that is required to start the game at a playable framerate. To get anything decent out of it you would most likely need a GeForce3 or better (but since GF3s were so short lived, you might as well save your time and look for a GF4MX64MB instead, easy steal for ~50USD)