1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDisc (Attrac) to PC or CD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bufalo, Jan 13, 2007.

1. bufalo

bufalo Member

I have some stuff I have on my Sony minidisc that I want to burn to CD. I checked out the search part, but only found one post on this. It doesn't help me out because I donĀ“t have a "line in" on my laptop. I just have a USB connection between them. This doesn't seem to work with Audacity. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Funny, you should post this just now. The last 24 hrs I've discovered....Sony has SCR#$Ded us all...

there is no way to make a Digital Transfer from MD->PC via USB! It's built in Serial Rights Management copyright protect BS!

I bought a Sony NetMD many years ago, and used the OpenMG Jukebox Software to transfer tracks to my MD...the program lies to you when it tells you, you can "check" tracks back into PC....there's no music data being returned to the PC...it just erases your minidisc(if you still have the same audio files(in the same location) still on your PC. Otherwise, it won't let you "check-in" anything!

Imagine, my suprise when last night I thought I could "restore" all this ATRAC-3 audio to my PC, Lone after, having erased/reformated/ the original files! can't do it! Sony SUXS!

The only way to transfer you audio from MD->PC is thru a Analog(headphone)cable to a PC SoundCard with Line-In or if your MD has (optical out)to PC soundcard(with Optical In)<--this would be Digital but it would all be REALTIME transfer.

What a shame, the ATRAC-3 is a great compression tech. Sony once again SCRE#$$ED themselves and the comsumers over CopyRight protection, When they had Bata Video(it was superior to VHS) but they refused to license it out....JVC was smart made the VHS universal. But, Sony never learns.

3. bufalo

bufalo Member

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I remember that whole Beta thing with Sony trying to hog everything... Think they'd learn. I don't have a line-in on mylaptop. I found a thread that said it couldn'nt/shouldn't be done through the microphone input, but maybe I'll try it anyway.

Thanks and hope you find a solution,
    Richie

4. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Creative(SoundBlaster) makes a nice external soundcard which connects to a laptop via USB. It has RCA+ Optical Imput...and the bundled software also has a MD->PC program too.