1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by hollandoh, Jan 15, 2007.

1. hollandoh

hollandoh Regular member

Need a little help.
    I just order a Samsung HL-S5088 DLP 50in.The sales persons told me ,when I order my HDMI Cables to make sure that they are something made with Or called (DIALECTRIC) he said that is what I have to use. The man at the cable site told me that the 6 ft cables that I need are good they have made with copper. The site I orderd from is called (MonoPrice.com) has anyone done any bussenes with them,all remarks will be welcomed.Simply put is ther any truth in what type HDMI cable you use.

Thanks Andy..

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Wow, that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far. The [bold]Dielectric[/bold] is a part of a cable that separates the positive wire from the negative (in Coax cable the dielectric separates the positive lead from the shield which is the negative lead). All cables have dielectrics. Some materials make for better Dielectrics than others but I don't think your salesman mint that. I don't think your salesman knows anything at all about electronics or cables. Where did you buy your TV?

What does a Dielectric do?
    http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/ComponentVideoCables_5.php

Different manufacturers uses different gauge (AWG) wire but its all copper. The cable may incorporate copper plated with silver and terminated with gold plated (copper) connectors but its all actually copper.

As long as it works your in good shape. But better built cables will last longer and function at high frequencies (bit-rates) which may be needed in the future (Especially HDMI). Exotic cables also look really nice...

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  3. hollandoh

hollandoh Regular member

@Diabolos, I just ordered the Samsung from (butterfly Photo),that is why I asked about the HDMI cables.I have searched for over two weeks on every thing that goes with the DLP.I needed to here from some one that knows about all them wires,and I can tell YOU sure know what your are talking about. I am ordering the (28awg)HDMI cables from MONOPrice,or do you know a differnt site to by from. Anyway thanks for the Info.What is Exotic cable?

Andy

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Exotic cables are cables made by manufactures that use lots of proprietary design methods to build their cables. They say that their cables are better because of all that extra stuff that may or may not make a noticeable difference. Either way they will cost a lot and are usually aesthetically appealing. Monster Cable is probably the most notorious exotic cable manufacturer in the industry.

I use Acoustic Research (AR) Pro II cables in my theater set-ups.

Whatever you buy make sure it has at least two shields (a Braid and a Foil) and that the soldered connections look good with no damage to the dielectric at the solder joints (if possible).

Audioholics guide (see point 2.4)
    http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/ComponentVideoCables_3.php

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007